Streusel Cake

1 pkg yellow cake mix

1 Cup brown sugar

3/4 Cup chopped walnuts

3 eggs

1 1/2 Cups sour cream

1/4 Cup cold butter or margarine

Prepare cake pan - 9"R OR 8" sq OR 12x8 sheet pan

Remove 2/3 cup of dry cake mix.  Mix in sugar, nuts, butter untill crumbly. Set aside

Beat eggs, stir in sour cream.  Mix in cake remaining dry cake mix.  Batter will be thick and lumpy.  Spread 1/2 in pan.  Sprinkle 1/2 of the streusel over.  Spoon in and gently spread batter, then top with remaining streusel.  

Bake in 325 degree F oven for 20-30 minutes or until it tests done - as you would any other cake :)

*Variations*   Can Add *one* of the following:

1 Cup chopped fresh or dried cranberries

1 Cup chopped raisins

2 Tablespoons orange zest

2 Tablespoons lemon zest

2 Tablespoons instant coffee

1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Spiced Streusel Cake

1 package yellow OR white OR French Vanilla cake mix

3/4 Cup milk OR water OR orange juice

1/2 cup melted butter

1/2 cup chopped nuts

4 eggs

1/2 cup coconut

1 envelope pre-melted chocolate

Blend together cake mix, butter, liquid and eggs.  Beat 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed.  Stir in nuts and coconut.   Marble the chocolate through the batter.  Bake as usual.

Filling:  1/2 cup flaked coconut                       1 Cup powdered sugar

1/2 Cup chopped nuts                                      1/2 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla                                           2 teaspoons cinnamon

Mix together and use as filling for this cake

24 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 28 Sep 2016 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 25

Thanks for sharing. I love streusel. My grandma and I made it when I was very young. We made it on the baking tray which is in the oven so there was always enough lol. Great memories! I might do it in the near future just for the fun of it. My favourite is pudding streusel...yummy 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 29 Sep 2016 , 1:55am
post #3 of 25

Anyone have made from scratch streusel cakes? I don't use box cakes anymore since they continue to keep changing the amount in the boxes. Pretty soon they will be so small that the boxes will only make a one layer cake!! 

julia1812 Posted 29 Sep 2016 , 3:05am
post #4 of 25

Of course we made them from scratch. I'm not even sure if box mixes were known in Germany by then... 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 29 Sep 2016 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 25

I tried to add to my comment thinking someone had a great recipe for them but the action button did not work. I think I tried several times in past to hit action button to change my reply and add to it but it never works. I will look on line for recipes. I have company coming next weekend and wanted to make some kind of cake for them. 

julia1812 Posted 29 Sep 2016 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 25

Oh sorry. I misunderstood you @remnant3333.This is a more classic german "Streuselkuchen" (chocolate):

For the base mix 500g ap flour, 1 envelope yeast, 125 ml lukewarm 3.5% milk, 100 g soft butter, an egg and 60g sugar and a pinch of salt. Prove for 30 miNS.

In the meantime make the streusel:

Knead 400g AP flour, 200g sugar, 250g butter to a dough. Half. Mix one half with 4 tsps of cocoa (but you can skip that if you don't want a chocolate taste). 

Preheat oven to 200'C

Knead yeast dough again and roll out on a baking tray. Sprinkle with both streusel and bake for 30 mins

Now this is NOT a Streusel but very delicious so while I dug out my old recipe book I want to as well share this recipe. It's called "Bienenstich" and is a German classic and so much richer than the streusel. I lived it when I was a child. Haven't made it for a long time...thing this might be my weekend project with the kids lol. So this is it:

Make a dough out of 300g ap flour, 1 envelope yeast, 125ml lukewarm milk, 40g sugar, 60g butter, an egg and a pinch of salt. Prove 30 mins, roll out on baking tray and prove again for about 20 mins. 

Preheat oven to 200'C.

Bring 125g whipping cream, 50g sugar and 50g honey to a boil, take off the heat, stir in 300g sliced almonds and let cool. Spread on yeast dough after 2nd proving and bake for 30mins until slightly golden in colour. 

Make a vanilla pudding (you can make an instant pudding if you prefer).

Let cake cool, torte (cut in half horizontally) and fill with pudding.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 30 Sep 2016 , 6:56am
post #7 of 25

crud, that sounds sooooo good.  Since my fairly recent diabetes type 2 diagnosis, I've been compliant with "healthy foods", but that streusel cake would do me in.....

julia1812 Posted 30 Sep 2016 , 9:50am
post #8 of 25

Oh shoot...Apti! That's a pity. Sorry to hear!!! As I don't like to eat too sweet I've got some really nice yoghurt and quark (sort of like ricotta) cake recipes with digestive base (that type of cookie is called diferently in the US but the name slipped my mind right now). Let me know if you are interested. ..

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 1 Oct 2016 , 6:05am
post #9 of 25

Thanks, but I've been doing really well and don't want to eat my cakes.

julia1812 Posted 1 Oct 2016 , 6:42am
post #10 of 25

Lol...isn't that hilarious. I don't want to eat cake either. Whenever I'm at a party I refuse a slice which is particularly embarrassing if it's my own. But can't stand it anymore since I taste them all the time. There are a few exceptions though for baked goodies I do just for my family....

DormCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DormCat Posted 2 Oct 2016 , 4:38am
post #11 of 25
julia1812 Posted 2 Oct 2016 , 6:23am
post #12 of 25

@DormCat ‍I'm unable to read your post. ..could you repost it please? 

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 2 Oct 2016 , 7:12am
post #13 of 25

Love, love, love Bienenstitch, thanks for resurrecting delicious memories.

DormCat Posted 3 Oct 2016 , 10:29pm
post #14 of 25

@julia1812 still having been able to get post to show up but will try again

DormCat Posted 3 Oct 2016 , 10:40pm
post #15 of 25
DormCat Posted 3 Oct 2016 , 11:07pm
post #16 of 25

@julia1812 I am getting nowhere trying to post pictures so I'll just write out what I'm looking info on and since you seem to be familiar with German baking am hoping you can help me. My German friends haven't been able to and one even called her friend in Germany who bakes and she didn't know either. I want to make a cake out a German cooking magazine..Mango-Käsesahne mit Sommerbeeren. I am having trouble trying to get a proper translation of this step-Zigarettenmasse zubereiten:  Butter mit Puderzucker verrühren, flüssiges Eiweiß und Mehl abwechselnd unterrühren.  Maße halbieren, eine Hälfte mit gelber, die andere mit roter Lebensmittelkarte zart gelb bzw, rosa einfärben.  Eingefärbte Massen abwechselnd esslöffelweise auf ein mit Backpapier belegtes Backblech Klecksen und mit einer Tortenpalette ineinander verstreichen.

im sure it has nothing to do with cigarettes but thinking it has something to do with rolling the fondant like a cigarette. 

Also i would love to see your recipes using yogurt, Quark and digestive biscuits. The base commissary carries the biscuits so no problem getting those. 

DormCat Posted 3 Oct 2016 , 11:18pm
post #17 of 25

[postimage id="5216" thumb="900"]

DormCat Posted 3 Oct 2016 , 11:19pm
post #18 of 25

[postimage id="5217" thumb="900"]

julia1812 Posted 4 Oct 2016 , 4:06am
post #19 of 25

@DormCat ‍ LOL...no! Nothing to do with actual cigarettes. What they are explaining in this step is how to make the "pâte à cigarettes" - the batter to make the yellow and pink dough band you see along the outside of the cake. Same like when you make a swiss roll and you want the outside to have tiger stripes or flowers or whatever.

The recipe says:

Mix butter and icing sugar, then alternate adding egg white and flour. Colour half of the batter yellow, the other half pink, using food colouring. Cover a baking tray with parchment paper. Spoon the batter onto the parchment, alternating the colours. Spread with a spatula and slightly mix colours.

julia1812 Posted 4 Oct 2016 , 5:04am
post #20 of 25

For the yoghurt cake, you can either make a graham cookie (digestive cookie) base: 

Crush 250g digestive cookies, mix with 120g melted butter and press in 9" round baking tin (loose bottom is easiest)

Or a cake base:

Cream 100 g soft butter and 100 g sugar. Add 1 egg,1 egg yolk and 100 g sift flour with half teaspoon baking powder, mixing well in between adding. If batter is too stiff add a spoon or 2 milk. Bake for 15 mins at 175C. Cool

For the filling:

Drain a 465 g tin of peaches (or fruits of your choice). Set 4 peach halves aside for decoration and cut the remaining peaches into small cubes. Combine 300 g plain yoghurt, 600 g quark*, 125 g sugarand juice of 1 lemon. Mix with peach cubes. Disolve 4 tsps of gelatine in some of the fruit water and melt when ready. Add gelatine to the yoghurt mix and cool until it starts to slightly thicken.

Beat 300 g of whipping cream until thick, fold under yoghurt mix and spoon the mixture onto your cake cake (digestive or cake, whatever you used ) and cool for 2 hrs. 

Release cake from tin - here is when the loose bottom  ones in handy ;) - decorate with peach slices and 4 tbsps of roasted almond slices and enjoy!

* QUARK is a German (skimmed) milk cheese made without rennet. Substitutes are:

Fromage frais/ blanc OR 

2 parts ricotta (Italian cheese) and 1 part sour cream OR

What I do is I drain thick yoghurt or buttermilk with a mussline cloth. I place a fine sift over a bowl, line it with a fine clean cloth and pour the thick plain yoghurt in. Then I let it sit for some hours in the fridge to drain. What is left after that is a very thick cream cheese type of cream that comes closest to quark in both taste and texture.

DormCat Posted 4 Oct 2016 , 11:35pm
post #21 of 25

@julia1812 ‍ thank you so much for the help.  I got the square Springform pan last week so now I can give this cake a try. Something to add to my Oktoberfest menu even it looks more like a spring Dessert. 

Your cake recipes sound yummy. I think I'll take the easy way out and either order quark from German deli or get it at the international market in Atlanta. Always need a good reason to visit it. 

Another question, I was watching Great British Baking masterclass show last night and Paul made a passion fruit&slime Charlotte Russe and one of the ingredients is gelatin sheets soaked in cold water. Would that be the same as the American boxed gelatin? 

DormCat Posted 4 Oct 2016 , 11:35pm
post #22 of 25

@julia1812 ‍ thank you so much for the help.  I got the square Springform pan last week so now I can give this cake a try. Something to add to my Oktoberfest menu even it looks more like a spring Dessert. 

Your cake recipes sound yummy. I think I'll take the easy way out and either order quark from German deli or get it at the international market in Atlanta. Always need a good reason to visit it. 

Another question, I was watching Great British Baking masterclass show last night and Paul made a passion fruit&slime Charlotte Russe and one of the ingredients is gelatin sheets soaked in cold water. Would that be the same as the American boxed gelatin? 

julia1812 Posted 5 Oct 2016 , 3:07am
post #23 of 25

@DormCat ‍ I love the Great British Bake Off!!! And yes, you can buy gelatine as sheets or as powder. 

If you buy your Quark try and get "Magerquark" (=low fat) btw...

DormCat Posted 5 Oct 2016 , 1:25pm
post #24 of 25

@julia1812. Thank you for the info. I did check online with German Deli and they carry quark but not your suggested brand as well as the gelatin sheets but are out of stock on the clear ones. I also found a dairy in Vermont that makes quark so may have to try theirs. Good thing I'm doing this cake as an order. 

julia1812 Posted 5 Oct 2016 , 4:35pm
post #25 of 25

@DormCat ‍ Oh sorry. "Magerquark" is not a brand it's just means low fat quark (20% compared to 40% if I remember the numbers correctly). But normal quark is just fine. We used to make it at my grandma's farm with butter and cream and cheese and so on. And I prefer powder gelatine. Just use Knox or whatever you get in the supermarket. Think 10 gelatine sheets are about 4 tbsps of powder gelatine. Let me know how it went in case you try the cake. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%