Doweling With Real And Dummy Cakes

Decorating By 1clare Updated 2 Oct 2016 , 9:23pm by acookieobsession

1clare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1clare Posted 26 Sep 2016 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 6

I'm planning a 6 tier cake and need advice on center doweling . starting at the bottom I have a 16" and a 14" dummy  a real 12" which I will dowel for support, followed by a10" and 8" both dummies  the top will be a 6" real cake followed by a dummy half circle to which I have placed gum paste roses and filler flowers  the entire cake has a cascade of gum paste roses top to bottom  all cakes and dummies have boards and I've attached the 2 sets of dummies together with RI which seems to hold them together quite well  I would like to center dowel the whole cake so when the cater lifts the cake to carry it to the kitchen, it doesn't topple over  has anyone run a center dowel through dummies and cakes successfully?  

5 replies
cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 27 Sep 2016 , 3:25am
post #2 of 6

I don't understand why you would centre dowel all these fake cakes? You've already glued three together why not just shift them in two parts. The only weight on the cakes is your gumpaste flowers. Even the top 3 only has 2 real cakes on it seperated by another fake. No need for a centre dowel I can see .

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 27 Sep 2016 , 6:47am
post #3 of 6

They don't carry it to the kitchen, they put it on a cart with wheels when it's time to move it.

1clare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1clare Posted 27 Sep 2016 , 10:18am
post #4 of 6

I spoke to the caterer who said they carry the cake to the kitchen. No cart involved. I'm afraid it will be too heavy, tip over and separate

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 27 Sep 2016 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 6

That's insane why would they set themselves up for disaster?

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 2 Oct 2016 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 6

I would suggest you prepare the whole in the dummy ahead of time.  I guess it would depend on where you are placing the dummy's in relation to the real cake but it seems like it would make it easier.

i would ask them to use a cart...though they probably do it their way all the time.

Julia ebay(sjstoner21 agbay street free supports etc)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%