Cake Tasting Day?

Business By kcampeau Updated 26 Sep 2016 , 11:24pm by BrandisBaked

kcampeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcampeau Posted 26 Sep 2016 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 4

Thank you for all of your help as I have been posting alot!

I decided what I think the best way to go about tastings are as my area it is common to offer them and I wanted feedback from cakers on what they think.

It really is inconvenient for me to have to make and split batches to give different flavors to brides I really dislike doing it. So I read some cakers have 2 cake days a year which they do tastings. So my thought would be instead of charging for tasting I increase my base price a bit to absorb the tasting cost.

Then as I advertise my services it includes a cake tasting for BOOKED orders. Now I have alot of reviews that are near perfect (1 negative one from a bit of a loon) but the rest 5/5 and all rave about my taste.

So I was going to offer a complimentary cake tasting in early spring and late fall where I just bake up a bunch and make tasting boxes for my brides - they would get a half dozen of my preset menu flavors to try and then can confirm their flavors to me after that. This for me logistically would work much better.

Do any of you cakers do this? Is this common? Do you have any suggestions? Especially for those brides who want to try before they buy?

Thanks!

3 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 26 Sep 2016 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 4

Well...not sure if I understand that correct. You do a tasting for BOOKED orders? Why would I book if I haven't had a tasting? And why would I taste after I booked already? 

And getting honest feedback on complementary tastings (=free cake) might be tricky...

Oh...and what do you do with the brides who pop up a month after your tasting? Tell them to wait 5 months for the next tasting?

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 26 Sep 2016 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 4

I read here on CC about someone who did it once a month... that seems reasonable. They had a 1 hours tasting appointment and also "pushed" the brides to finish the discussion at some point and commit because the next bride was coming. The most logical to me is;

- free, but pay a deposit for no show. So they pay $25 for the appointment up front, and that is applied to the cake, or refunded at the appointment.... or refund part of it...depends on your area/ market

- one Saturday tasting per month, one mid-week evening tasting per month. So you can rotate every three weeks or so, and see how that works.

I agree with julia.... how is it "booked" if I haven't hired you yet?

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 26 Sep 2016 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 4

My policy is to charge $50 for a private tasting - which is credited if they book. I would also do a group tasting event once a month, which is free.  If a bride doesn't want to pay for a tasting, she could come to the free tasting - which I prefer.  If you are just starting out and decide to do a group tasting - make sure to invite a few friends and family also.  No one has to know they aren't also potential customers.  ;-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%