Mailing Cookies To England From The Us. Where's The Line On Homemade If Business Is In Home?

Baking By LoriMc Updated 24 Sep 2016 , 1:30pm by MimiFix

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 23 Sep 2016 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 5

Hope this is the right place to post! 

I would like to mail cookies to a friend in England. From past experiences, it only takes 4 days to get packages between our locations.  From my understanding you are not supposed to mail "homemade" food or things that are perishable.  Cookies do not have to be refrigerated and my business is in my home so I'm sort of confused.  I have read the rules on the post office site, but I feel there is a lot of gray area!

Has anyone mailed something they made to the UK with success? 

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Sep 2016 , 12:00pm
post #2 of 5

me, if you're not supposed to per the usps i would not do it -- or go to the post office and talk to the inspecter there, the head person i can't remember the right title but someone high up the chain of command 

and you're right it depends on the size/level of business you maintain so for a broad example -- swiss colony maybe can ship internationally but i don't think home based businesses under cottage rules would be in that category --

here's an example of international shipping being allowed: collins street bakery

https://www.collinstreet.com/51FPB5_final.pdf

then wolferman's only goes to canada with some items nothing outside of that that i can see

https://www.wolfermans.com/w/view/custserv-handling

it's a very big deal to ship anything so i'd stay firmly within the rules myself -- there's tons of hoops to jump through to do it successfully and legally so those are my thoughts on the subject

-K8memphis Posted 24 Sep 2016 , 12:05pm
post #3 of 5

*me, if you're not supposed to ship per the usps...

-K8memphis Posted 24 Sep 2016 , 12:08pm
post #4 of 5

in fact, here's swiss colony's thing about shipping outside the u.s.

Do you ship overseas?

Customs' restrictions currently limit our shipments to addresses within the United States, US Possessions and to APO and FPO addresses.

Additional charges may be required for deliveries outside the 48 contiguous states. You may also be required to pay duty or taxes to destinations such as Puerto Rico and foreign APO and FPO addresses.

In support of our troops and their families, we will not apply the $5.00 additional charge for APO/FPO addresses. Standard shipping charges still apply.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Sep 2016 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 5

Rules for businesses are often different than for personal use. If you want to mail a food package to family or friends, check with the post office.

However, in regards to home processor rules, mailing baked goods across state lines is most likely not allowed under any state's cottage food law. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%