Wilton Fondant Mold Waves Are Crashing Help

Decorating By sewsugarqueen Updated 21 Sep 2016 , 9:41am by Scampbell731

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 20 Sep 2016 , 12:15am
post #1 of 7

I am trying to make the waves from the Wilton Beach fondant mold with the shells, waves, starfish and coral.  I have tried 4 times to make the waves but every time it breaks where the waves curve into itself.  Has anyone had luck getting those waves out.  My final thought is not to even out the waves, press in a lot of fondant and pull it out and cut away all the waves... that will be very time consuming.   Thanks for any suggestions.  I think it is a design flaw , myself.. if wave didn't curve in but just went to next wave it would have pullled out ok.......stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes.png

6 replies
gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 20 Sep 2016 , 2:48am
post #2 of 7

Sounds to me you need some stronger fondant. let me ask you, are you using 50% fondant/50% gumpaste? Another tip i was given multiple times, was to let it set in the freezer for a minute or 2. This will help it stiffen and hold its shape when you flex the mold to release the fondant/gum paste.

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 20 Sep 2016 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 7

I have that mold, but did not have any issues when I used it. I use a good amount of cornstarch to ensure the fondant comes out.  As gscout stated, fill it and then place it in the fridge to firm up before trying to remove.  Then place it onto your surface (counter, mat, etc) faced down and then bend the mold back, so the piece "falls" out.

sewsugarqueen Posted 20 Sep 2016 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks to both of you.  I was taught 50% as well but never heard about putting it in freezer for a few minutes... Will try that.  Thanks so much for your help... my first time trying to do waves... all the other pieces are a breeze coming out.  Thought there had to be another trick.  Really appreciate all those tips.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 20 Sep 2016 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 7

The cornstarch and especially the freezer part are essential for more delicate molds. As 640 said place it face down on the counter and bend back from the top to release the curly part of the wave first. Good luck!

sewsugarqueen Posted 20 Sep 2016 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 7

Pastrybaglady (love the name) thanks... should I have any difficult molds in the future I will continue to use this trick.  I now tend to use Karen Davies molds because they look difficult and have a lot of detail but pop out so easy.  They just cost $$$ because they are from England so that's the part that hurts but I am so spoiled by those molds.

Scampbell731 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scampbell731 Posted 21 Sep 2016 , 9:41am
post #7 of 7

I used to have problems too but this is what I do now and I don't have any problems.

First, I use a soft brush and brush cornstarch in all the crevices.

I use fondant that has been worked a lot. Fresh fondant seems to be too sticky. I keep all my fondant scraps in a vacuum sealed bag in the freezer and pull out colors I need or that I can mix to get a color I need when I use molds.  After filling with fondant I let it rest several minutes, I have left it 5-10 min.  I make some of the smaller pieces in that mold while I am waiting.

I think this next step is what really makes it work for me.

Lay the mold upside down on your work surface and pull the mold off starting from the edge of the mold with the closed side of the wave or the bottom. You want to kind of roll the mold back, I hope that makes sense.  I use a toothpick to help get it started if I need to and to gently help it along if needed.  Keep the mold close to the surface lifting it up just enough to let the fondant fall out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%