Friday Night Cake Club For 9/16/16

Decorating By catlharper Updated 22 Sep 2016 , 6:04am by -K8memphis

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 17 Sep 2016 , 3:05am
post #1 of 32

Starting up another session of the FNCC! ALL levels of cakers are welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help if they need it or provide help if they can!

Hope to see lots of great creations this weekend!

Cat

31 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 17 Sep 2016 , 6:01am
post #2 of 32

Hey cat. Hope all is well?

I only had a small 25th wedding anniversary cake. Vanilla sponge with chocolate smbc filling, covered in white ganache and white fondant and gumpaste writing and champagne glasses painted with silver luster dust. The sides I imprinted with a diamond pattern and placed tiny silver pearls in the crossings.

Was nice to get caking again as I haven't done anything in a while.

Right now I'm working on  football cake. Am trying a new technique where I pipe homemade flexible lace to become the netting for the goals. I thought of using RI but since the cake will sit in the fridge I figured it would not work. Will hopefully be able to post pictures next week... 

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 17 Sep 2016 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 32

Hi @julia1812 ‍ It's been a busy week but good. My next cake project isn't till the end of the month and it's just a kitchen cake for a wedding. These days family and work birthday cakes are pretty much all I have on my calendar and the next one of those is in mid October. 

Please let me know how that netting does! Sounds fascinating to me! Did you get a photo of the anniversary cake? Hopefully others will catch up to us here over the weekend and we'll see more!

Cat

julia1812 Posted 17 Sep 2016 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 32

[postimage id="5126" thumb="900"]

julia1812 Posted 17 Sep 2016 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 32

Almost forgot to post a picture and actually almost forgot to take one! On the way to deliver the cake I remembered and stopped on the side of the road, took it out of the box and placed it on my blue cool box which was on the passenger seat. Imagine hahaha! 

julia1812 Posted 17 Sep 2016 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 32

The cake had a long journey ahead btw as it then went with the lady who ordered it on an airplane and into the Masai Mara to the Safari lodge the couple was celebrating their anniversary. ....

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 17 Sep 2016 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 32

@julia1812 ‍ lovely cake.

No baking for me. Not even the cupcakes for work Sept. birthdays. The y are going to have to wait till Oct. I also have a wedding coming up at the end of October.  So I will be doing flowers soon as I find out what she is using. 

Looking forward to seeing more cakes.

Marian64 Posted 17 Sep 2016 , 4:48pm
post #8 of 32

No baking for me. Not even the cupcakes for work Sept. birthdays. The y are going to have to wait till Oct. I also have a wedding coming up at the end of October.  So I will be doing flowers soon as I find out what she is using. 

Marian64 Posted 17 Sep 2016 , 4:48pm
post #9 of 32

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 17 Sep 2016 , 7:43pm
post #10 of 32

Today is my birthday, and I'm going to make myself a seashell cake. I colored the fondant and made the white candy shells last night. I'll probably finish it tomorrow. This time I'm going to try Chef John's chocolate cake recipe: http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2013/02/chocolate-sour-cream-bundt-cake-you.html

Julia, that cake is so pretty! Simple but elegant.

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 17 Sep 2016 , 11:34pm
post #11 of 32

@julia1812 ‍ nice job on your cake!

@Dar917 ‍ Happy Birthday! Hope you have a nice day & looking forward to seeing your cake.

It was one heck if a week for me and now that I've had a nap I can share what I've been up to.  This was the first week that students were back in lab so I was busy and getting readjusted to the routine and foolishly took on three cakes!  First one was a very simple baby shower cake for Monday. It was a gluten free vanilla cake with buttercream icing and gumpaste shoes.  I love making the baby shoes :-)  

Next up was a cake for Fisher Scientific's customer appreciation day.  This was my 4th year making one for them and while I went a little on the simpler side this year, they loved it!  I usually try to one up myself each year but the roads here were torn up for repaving so I chose to keep the cake simple for fear if it being destroyed during delivery.  I had a sugar sheet printed with the logos of all the vendors that go around the edge of the cake.  The cake itself is made to resemble a lab scenario, DNA gel, gloves, pipette and PCR tube rack and tubes.  The "results" if the DNA gel spell "Fisher" which everyone thought was kinda neat.  The only non-edible component are the PCR tubes, they are real tubes (plastic).  I called it my grocery store cake since all I see in grocery stores these days are cakes covered in plastic decorations. Lol

Lastly was a wedding cake for my boyfriend's boss and now wife.  Talk about stressed!  I still find getting icing perfectly smooth kind of hard so while it's not perfect, they loved it & I got lots of compliments on it. Phew!!  While I've made cakes for weddings before this was my most wedding-like cake if that makes sense.  It was vanilla bean cake with SMBC (that gave me some grief), cake lace, candy pearls, fondant ribbon, fondant monogram and gumpaste flowers.  I stacked the cake at home and kept it refrigerated and then used my cake porter for transport.  Once at the venue I added the flowers.  I was very pleased with how it turned out so I hope you all like it too :-) 

kstevens Posted 17 Sep 2016 , 11:36pm
post #12 of 32

[postimage id="5127" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 17 Sep 2016 , 11:38pm
post #13 of 32

[postimage id="5128" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 17 Sep 2016 , 11:38pm
post #14 of 32

[postimage id="5129" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 17 Sep 2016 , 11:39pm
post #15 of 32

[postimage id="5130" thumb="900"]

Marian64 Posted 18 Sep 2016 , 2:26am
post #16 of 32

Happy Birthday @Dar17 can't wait to see your cake and hear what you think of the recipe. Always looking for good ones.

@kstevens ‍love your cakes great job on that pipette. The results of Fisher in the gel was a great idea. The baby shower cake is great. Those shoes are perfect.  You should be please with the wedding cake love the flowers. 

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 18 Sep 2016 , 3:23am
post #17 of 32

Hey everybody! I did a last minute cake order yesterday. It's a very R rated cake. I was thinking of creating it's very own post with a warning in the title? That way only the people who want to look at it can. I'm super proud of him :-)

DormCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DormCat Posted 18 Sep 2016 , 4:52am
post #18 of 32

Beautiful cakes this week. I haven't done much since my wedding cake mess.  Decided to make a birthday cake for my daughters friend at the last minute so I could try one of Wilton's new precision fondant molds. I thought cake turned out ok but wish I had taken the time to colour the white fondant. Next time  will. [postimage id="5131" thumb="900"]

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 18 Sep 2016 , 5:14am
post #19 of 32

@DormCat ‍ no need to colour the fondant it looks awesome!

Nana52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana52 Posted 18 Sep 2016 , 9:25am
post #20 of 32

oh my... such pretty cakes.  I'm jealous.  

Didn't have any this week. I have a Mexican-theme for this coming weekend for a 17-year-old.  Going to make colorful layered fantasy flowers.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 18 Sep 2016 , 2:13pm
post #21 of 32

Hi girls!

No cake for me this week. Actually, I' ll probably have no cake until mid-november. Maybe one for my boyfriend work sometimes in october... But he is suppose to do it all by himself!

@julia1812 ‍ this 25th anniversary cake is clasic and chic. Well done. I cant wait to see your net with the flexible lace. What a great idea. I' ve done a net about a year ago with little strings of fondant (without an extruder). I then made a promise to myself: never again!   

@Dar917 ‍ happy birthday! I cant wait to see your cake

@kstevens ‍ Your baby boy cake is so adorable. I'm in love with those little shoes.

I love the wedding cake... So pretty. The black ribbon on the middle tier makes the cake standout. Very elegant cake.

@DormCat ‍ you did a nice job with your new fondant mold. I love the lily. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Sep 2016 , 7:19pm
post #22 of 32

dormcat -- pretty cake -- i like the way everything pops against the white background -- lovely flowers and mesmerizing side design -- well done 

julia -- hope you are feeling better -- pretty anniversary cake -- i like the bubbles for the bubbley!

kelly -- all your stuff is great -- the baby booties are adorable, i love the polka dots on 'boy' -- science cake is clever -- i especially like the gloves you made -- and glad you gave yourself a break too -- the wedding cake is gorgeous -- the monogram looks great just against the cake without the plaque outlined by the pretty flowers -- easier to deliver too?  the lace, pearls, blossoms, roses, monogram, all are beautiful and apparently the delivery and assembly went very well (you make me want to decorate something)

clap.png

Dar917 Posted 18 Sep 2016 , 10:22pm
post #23 of 32

900x

Seashell cake! I don't know how it tastes yet. My phone camera seems to take better photos than my digital camera, which is kind of annoying. This will be the last cake I do for a while as birthdays are over until January. Now it's time for pumpkin everything! I'll probably do a pumpkin roll for Thanksgiving, and I'll try another yule log for Christmas.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Sep 2016 , 11:25pm
post #24 of 32

happy birthday, dar917 -- pretty cake and the recipe sounds delicious

kstevens Posted 19 Sep 2016 , 12:58am
post #25 of 32

@DormCat ‍ your lily is gorgeous! Very pretty cake!  I like the color combo and the white fondant is just fine :-) 

@Dar917 ‍ your cake looks great!  I'm sure it tastes as good as it looks.

@-K8memphis ‍ thanks for all your kind words.  I neglected to thank you and @julia1812 ‍ for your input prior to the wedding cake.  I truly apreciate all the feedback you ladies offered up.  The delivery went well as did decorating on site.  I could have used a few more hydrangeas but I made it all work.  I had a little panic attack prior to packing up the cake as I realized I had not put supports in the middle tier.  I guess that's what happens when you're outing together a cake with little sleep! Lol. I had to carefully remove the top tier to insert some supports, nerve wracking!!  When I put the top tier back on there ended up being a bit of a gap between the tiers.  Rather than trying to fill it with SMBC and get it all smooth, I piped a bead of SMBC and added the candy pearls which I ended up liking better :-) 

One more question for you...My SMBC seemed to take a really long time to come together this time after adding the butter.  It was much cooler in my house than the last time I did it so I'm guessing the butter being firmer was the reason? Do you microwave the butter a bit when this is the case? Maybe at med. temp for 10-15 seconds?

DormCat Posted 19 Sep 2016 , 2:38am
post #26 of 32

Thanks ladies for the kind words.  Fortunately I had all these flowers already made up and put away.  Since it was last minute no way I could have gotten flowers done and dried in time. Since the birthday girl had no idea about the cake I didn't feel any pressure to make one. I really do want to use the mold again and use jewel tones to give it a Moroccan look.

i really want to try my hand at making the baby shoes. Are they made using a mold?  Also are they fondant or gumpaste?

Does anyone watch the Great British Baking show?  I think it's much more interesting than cake wars. I've checked out the recipes as wanting to try some. 

@kstevens ‍ I so understand doing a cake With little to know sleep. Lesson learned I won't do that again

kstevens Posted 19 Sep 2016 , 3:06am
post #27 of 32

@DormCat ‍  I make my baby sneakers with gumpaste. This is the pattern I use:

[postimage id="5134" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 19 Sep 2016 , 3:09am
post #28 of 32

Here are some directions (using a slightly different pattern):

http://deborahhwangcakes.blogspot.ca/2012/10/how-to-make-fondant-baby-converses.html

Dar917 Posted 19 Sep 2016 , 3:38am
post #29 of 32

Update: The cake is very good. With the chocolate buttercream and cookie crumbs I think it tastes like a KitKat bar!

DormCat Posted 20 Sep 2016 , 3:47am
post #30 of 32

@kstevens ‍ thank you so much. Looking forward to making these

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%