Wedding Cake Question

Decorating By djbookkeeper Updated 15 Sep 2016 , 6:13pm by kakeladi

djbookkeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djbookkeeper Posted 15 Sep 2016 , 12:31am
post #1 of 11

My Friend has asked me to make her wedding cake.  Below is the picture she sent me for what she wants.  Pretty simple I figured, until I started thinking about the floral garland. My question to y'all is can I just buy some floral garland from a craft store? Or where else can I get it? Also, I'm not sure how I am going to attach it to the cake. I know any floral garland from the craft store isn't food safe so that poses another concern. Thank you for any help!

11271961_10153328861355767_824045108_n.jpg?oh=dc3b59cef6e562b96e23ad3bf03b6ea1&oe=57DD2B8E

10 replies
ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 15 Sep 2016 , 12:38am
post #2 of 11

Sorry no picture

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 15 Sep 2016 , 1:01am
post #3 of 11

I can see it on my laptop, but other than cheap garland from the dollar store I'm out. I'm sure our lovely ladies will come up with something for you

Tillsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tillsy Posted 15 Sep 2016 , 1:19am
post #4 of 11

This would still be a ton of work but maybe you could pipe the vine on and then just stick fondant leaves into the vine.  I am a total amateur so I'm sure there are better ways that others can offer but that is all I can think of.  Good luck!  I would love to see a picture when it's done.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 15 Sep 2016 , 1:53am
post #5 of 11

You could buy fresh organic (not sprayed with anything) vine from a florist or flower wholesaler perhaps? It can be a bit more expensive than normal flowers/vine but at least then you know it hasn't been sprayed with anything. 

If you went with either fresh vine or a craft garland you could make a barrier of parchment/baking paper between the vine and the cake. You would not really notice the line of the cut baking paper against that particular rustic sort of buttercream pattern, especially with the leaves against it. You'd just need to let the catering staff know it's there though for when they cut the cake. 

Or, depending on how much time you have, get started on making the wired sugar leaves   blush.png

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 15 Sep 2016 , 7:54am
post #6 of 11

I know it's a far shot but when I saw the picture I immediately thought of my curry tree in the garden. It looks almost the same. Here you can buy fresh cut curry tree branches in the Indian fruit and veggie shops...not sure where you are. Maybe a friend of yours has one in the garden? It's sort of like a spice. I add a branch to my curries when cooking so I don't see why you could not use it.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 15 Sep 2016 , 9:42am
post #7 of 11

[postimage id="5105" thumb="900"]

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 15 Sep 2016 , 10:55am
post #8 of 11

You would be surprised at how beautiful piping vines and leaves with buttercream would be around a wedding cake. When you say you could buy garland from craft store do you mean the plastic fake kind because I have seen that in Micheal's before that looks similar to the picture of the cake. Hopefully, others here who are experts will be able to help you with your issue.  I have seen Liz Larson on You Tube pipe leaves before and they are absolutely gorgeous!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Sep 2016 , 3:14pm
post #9 of 11

it would not be difficult to make this out of fondant that has cornstarch and/or tylose kneaded in -- so that's one -- to make it exact I guess you should wire each leaf but I would just make the winding long stem -- join it when necessary and just physically attach the leaves to the cake/stem -- you can pipe extra stems if you wanted -- 

the other that I thought of is if you do find something at the dollar or craft store you could give a wash first -- and it will just rest on the ledge there between the cakes 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Sep 2016 , 3:15pm
post #10 of 11

remnant has a great idea -- just piping them

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Sep 2016 , 6:13pm
post #11 of 11

Many, many moons ago I made vines of ivy like that.  Just fondant stiffened w/tylose; cut w/a aspic cutter and wired together.  Not hard but time consuming :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%