Need Help With Buttercream Technique

Decorating By cryssyl Updated 10 Sep 2016 , 7:59am by -K8memphis

cryssyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssyl Posted 9 Sep 2016 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 5

So I'm decorating a wedding cake tonight for pick up tomorrow. The bride wants a cake like the picture below. Can someone give me some tips or tricks or even the name of the technique. Or is it just super straight forward and all I need to do is ice the cake and use my offset spatula or maybe a spoon and just go around the cake going up a bit each time around?

Classic pink floral topped cake: http://www.stylemepretty.com/california-weddings/ramona-california/2016/04/13/rustic-pastel-wedding-with-gorgeous-soft-pink-florals/ | Photography: heidi-o-photo - http://heidiophoto.com/:

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Sep 2016 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 5

it's absolutely that straight forward -- using a spatula tip or spoon twirl the turntable and mark the sides -- that's all -- it's as easy as it seems

cryssyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssyl Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 12:54am
post #3 of 5

K awesome! Now how would I go about getting super smooth frosting. Mine seems to be airy and has air bubbles in it. I was thinking either warming the icing just a touch or the spoon I'll use

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 1:57am
post #4 of 5

If your buttercream is too airy beat it with a spatula to knock the additional air bubbles out.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 7:59am
post #5 of 5

also if you run your spatula up and down or backwards of the direction you applied the icing to the cake the bubbles & holes will disappear from the surface -- but for this design you really need the icing to be fully nice and smooth before you apply the finishing touch -' you don't want to scrape in the ridges and uncover more air holes --

so like bubsfirstbirthday said, stir/beat your icing a with a metal icing spatula first -- you can even smush it out onto the clean counter top -- smush it down section by section as if you were kind of icing the tabletop forcing out the air bubbles before you ice the cake -- it's a little tedious -- you can add a bit of water even hot water if necessary too -- but it works

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%