Gluten Free Cupcake Questions

Baking By monkbun Updated 8 Sep 2016 , 10:17pm by -K8memphis

monkbun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkbun Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 11

I have been pouring over other GF related posts but still have some questions regarding cupcakes. My boyfriend and I were asked to make some for a friends family member and it's something we've never done before so I'm worried about it. We're past the point of just getting them from an established bakery since it's due in less than a week.  

So my questions: What exactly do I need to do to sterilize equipment? And do I wait more than 24 hours before starting the GF cakes? I won't be doing any other baking this week. 

As far as the recipes themselves, I have a gf cake mix to try and I also bought a bag of the mix with rice flour, tapioca, etc. Can I use this to replace flour and use the recipe like normal (assuming all other ingredients are gf as well) or does it change the recipe entirely? 

I I figured I could just use cake mixes if I needed to and that would have to do but I also wanted to try a pumpkin flavored recipe, using the bag of flour mixtures. If you can help answers these or give me any other tips I would really really appreciate it!!! 

10 replies
monkbun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkbun Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 11

This is what I have.

[postimage id="5044" thumb="900"]

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 11

you usually want the xanthan gum in the gf flour for making cakes -- without the xg is for breads and cookies -- with it is for cakey things -- you can buy it separate but it'd probably be better as in more economical to just go buy it in the flour -- even though the flour is so ridiculously expensive -- what are you going to do with $10 worth of xg right? -- but you could use the flour in something --

if it was me i'd start baking now to see how things come out and use what works -- gf cake mixes are not created equal and i've never had a good one -- not that i have scoured the earth for them either but i added a ton of stuff to make it work -- and by 'work' i mean taste better than cardboard --

but maybe you got some good ones and i got crummy ones idk --

as far as how to sterilize -- i don't know that either -- but if your friend is critically allergic where they need an epi pen or something you need to seriously up your game on this --if they are just casually gluten free or gluten light then no worries --

i know you need to dust every possible crevice and clean every surface -- don't use any fans -- i'm not sure about the filters in your heater/ac -- and return air vents -- and i don't know what all -- there are some gf bakers on here so hopefully they will respond but you really need to up your game -- but don't mind me -- i get anxious easy so -- i'm sure you'll be fine --

would love to hear how it goes for you -- best to you!

-K8memphis Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 11

and as far as subbing in the gf flour into an established recipe -- y'know -- maybe probably -- but it really needs to be tested -- to me the better idea would be to find a gf recipe and go with that --

-K8memphis Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 5:00pm
post #5 of 11

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free-yellow-cake-recipe

this has you putting in the xanthan gum separate but i'm sure this is a great recipe --

and every gf flour i've found is made up of way different mixtures so -- GOOD LUCK!

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 11

We are a gluten free home, daughter is Celiac. Just wash everything thoroughly including the mixer you are going to use. You can not just substitute gf flour for all purpose flour. You need to have an adjusted recipe. I weigh out all ingredients in grams. A great site to visit for recipes is www.glutenfreeonashoestring.com. AND to be very clear...not all gf flours are the same. King arthur...yuck...grit city! I have spent hundreds of dollars on different gf flours, the best I have ever come across is www.betterbatter.org. They actually have recipes for different flour blends including cup for cup. Good luck. I am in the process of making twelve individual wedding cakes for my daughters wedding next week!!

-K8memphis Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 11

whoops -- i mix up my own non-wheat flour blend -- i use three of each protein, starch and grain flours -- i've never tried the ka gf flour -- they just usually have great recipes -- I use bob's red mill products -- 

Mary -- twelve wedding cakes? wow how many tiers each?

-K8memphis Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 11

and what size, flavor are they -- how you decorating 'em?

-K8memphis Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 9:56pm
post #9 of 11

got any helpers?

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 10:08pm
post #10 of 11

Four layer 6" cakes, Lemon, WASC, and double chocolate eggless(Lots of allergies in our family). Each one will be on a beautiful cake stand 10" high with fluted edges(my husband made them!) Each table will have it's own cake. Gumpaste succulents will be the toppers. The bride and groom wanted a special request cake on their table....Funfetti GF(the groom loves funfetti!) The whole meal will be GF, that took a lot of looking for a caterer who could fulfill that request. No helpers....I get easily distracted so I prefer to work on my own!!

-K8memphis Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 10:17pm
post #11 of 11

wow -- you're putting the labor in the labor of love! it sounds beautiful and your husband made the stands how sweet -- 

i know what you mean about easily distracted -- for me I would call it can't concentrate/focus go away hahahaha -- curmudgeon in training -- but still yet I had to have helpers for my last few tier cakes -- yeah not easy

share pictures, please!!

best to you and I hope all the careful plans fit/flow together beautifully 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%