Need Recipe Adjustment To Eliminate Baking Soda

Baking By itzdawnn Updated 9 Sep 2016 , 2:11am by itzdawnn

itzdawnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itzdawnn Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 12:13pm
post #1 of 8

Looking at another thread I saw everyone's advice regarding refrigerating cake batter - the overwhelming impression I got was that recipes using baking powder only instead of baking soda had a better chance of success.  I have to bake the cake found at http://www.sprinklebakes.com/2016/04/black-velvet-nebula-cake.html, and I will be unable to bake the full recipe at the same time; in fact,I will have to bake each layer separately and will have to refrigerate some batter while some is baking. The recipe calls for both baking powder and baking soda - can anyone recommend any recipe changes to help?

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 12:30pm
post #2 of 8

me, I would divide the recipe into the closest correct amount for the pan size and only mix that up at a time --  if necessary add the extra dab of batter to the next batch or bake it off ---

I typically divide the batter by the eggs -- if there's four eggs you can half it or quarter it -- if there's three you can obviously go by thirds --

baking powder often has baking soda in it -- I myself would not divise a new formula -- I would just mix up the right amount of batter --

do a search for the following chart for amounts of batter for the different size pans

wilton wedding cake data chart

itzdawnn Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 8

Thx.  (Your little doggie always makes me smile.)

-K8memphis Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 8

me too he's the best -- thank you!

-K8memphis Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 8

then actually the only other thing you  need is the yield of one recipe so you know which way to go with everything -- a recipe is usually anywhere from 5 to 8 cups of batter or if you are not in the u.s. it goes in the other measurements that make me crazy stuck_out_tongue.png

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 8

Baking powder contains baking soda (which reacts with acidic ingredients such as cocoa and buttermilk). If you're concerned about the leavening power of baking soda, I suggest you use a lesser amount of acidic ingredients by substituting some regular milk for the buttermilk (half milk, half buttermilk, or even better - all milk). 

I've never made that recipe, but it's similar to the chocolate cake recipe I made in my retail shop. We made large quantities of batter, then baked off some for immediate use, and refrigerated the rest; then baked as needed during the following week. 

I know home bakers have much to say about loss of leavening power; but in my experience I've not found much difference between a batter that's baked immediately and one that's been refrigerated several days and then baked.

-K8memphis Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 8

i have muffins that i would keep the batter fridged -- but for cake i do get anxious if it's not baked off right away or at least within reason but it could just be me being hyper but still it worked for me stuck_out_tongue.png

itzdawnn Posted 9 Sep 2016 , 2:11am
post #8 of 8

Thx everybody!  I'm not quite Cake Wrecks, but I'll keep my day job! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%