Making A Cake For A Client But Refusing To Follow Our Policy.

Business By kayeksicle_ Updated 1 Sep 2016 , 1:50am by johnson6ofus

kayeksicle_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayeksicle_ Posted 1 Sep 2016 , 12:23am
post #1 of 5

So, this client of mine asked for a quote for a cake, basically she wanted a cake for 40 people but for under $100. Yup, from that point on I knew that she's going to be one of those difficult client. So I politely turned her down told her that I don't make custom cake for 40 people for under $100 (Satan was whispering to me and telling me to tell her to just go to costco but I didn't listen because I am that nice) after a few days she came back to me with a mickey mouse cake photo for me to get inspiration from then I gave her a price and she agreed. Then I told her that I require 50% non-refundable deposit (this is to cover my expenses if she decides to cancel in the last minute, i think that fair enough on both side, right?) So now I sent our contract via email and I told her:

Hello

Please see attachment below.

Read, sign and send it back to me.

You will be recieving 2 more emails after this one. The second

email is your updated invoice and the 3rd one is the Info Guide and Policy

with my signature in it. Please note that I will only send the contract

back after completing the 50% deposit or full payment. Without my signature, the contract 

means nothing and your spot will be given to someone else. :) Thank you!

Best,

Kara of Kara’s Custom Design Cakes

and this is her response:

Hi, 

I am confused. I am more than happy to send you the signed contract but I do not understand why you need to wait until you receive the deposit. The contract clearly states that once you receive the deposit then you will hold the date for the cake. By you signing, you also guarantee the information on the contract as well. It should not be dependent on the deposit. 

I have not sent the check yet but I will do so tomorrow. I would prefer that you return the signed contract to me as soon as you receive it from me.  

I don't really know why she's confused. Am I the wrong one here? My contract's been around for 4 years now and I never had a problem with any of my clients with it it's just this one particular one. I even explain to her why I should be depending on a deposit and I simply told her that without a deposit means no business. I've had clients cancel on me on the last minute before I created a contract. And that is the reason why I have contracts now. I know my weaknesses as a baker and I know my strengths. I'm not the best but I know I make decent cakes that I can be proud of.

So I wanted to turn this order down and I don't know how. The event is in 10 days btw. I got offended by her response, I don't know if I'm just being sensitive or what. Any comments? Suggestions? Violent reactions? :D 

www.instagram.com/kayeksicle

4 replies
ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 1 Sep 2016 , 1:12am
post #2 of 5

Just state that is your policy, if she doesn't like it she can go elsewhere.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Sep 2016 , 1:26am
post #3 of 5

now you've already said you're offended but understand I'm not attempting to add to that -- you asked for comments so here's mine without any offense -- 

idk it might be just me but I am a little confused too -- it seems a little over controlling on both sides -- on yours by three emails to seal one deal -- and on hers of course by her wanting to re-write your policy for her own self

but it's your business not hers so she needs to do the retainer before the deal is sealed -- I would just suggest economizing your process a little -- do you think? 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Sep 2016 , 1:29am
post #4 of 5

I just said something pithy like -- payment in lieu of signature confirms any changes or all changes to date or something like that -- but I just used an order blank not a specific contract that we ping & pong-ed  back & forth

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 1 Sep 2016 , 1:50am
post #5 of 5

As I understand it, contracts need "consideration"....$$$$... to make them valid. So a signed contract with no consideration is not valid. Of course, some bozo will cry later saying, BUT WE HAD A SIGNED CONTRACT.

Actually, my confusion is the signed info guide and policies. Is that not part of the contract? As a customer, what if I do not agree with the info guide and policies, can I cancel the contract? You (baker) cannot add stuff to my (client) signed contract unless both parties agree.

Seems like all the contract  info is filled in and sent to the client to sign. Client signs and returns with $$$. Once $$$ is received, baker signs contract and mails ( a now fully executed , legal, signed contract back to the client).

Sorry...like k8 said, devil's advocate....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%