Filling For Pumpkin Cupcakes

Baking By kristykgs Updated 4 Sep 2016 , 11:06am by -K8memphis

kristykgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristykgs Posted 31 Aug 2016 , 12:25pm
post #1 of 11

Fall season is coming up and I want to create a pumpkin spice cupcake. That is the easy part. Do any of you have any ideas of what I can use for a filling? What would taste good?

Note: i do not want to use Cream Cheese. Want something different and unique.

Thanks guys

10 replies
640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 31 Aug 2016 , 12:36pm
post #2 of 11

I like to use brown sugar swiss meringue...sometimes I add cinnamon to it, depending on the spice level in the cake. 

kristykgs Posted 31 Aug 2016 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 11

Interesting...thanks

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2016 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 11

i haven't done this -- i'm tossing out a potential idea -- i did a faux cream cheese icing using white balsamic vinegar -- has just a nice tang to it and no refrigeration issues -- i wonder what would happen to add the white balsamic to some ermine type icing or to some whipped cream or marshmallow fluff?

pumpkin always seems a heavier little treat -- doesn't have to be but often is and nothing wrong with that -- but  a tangy light whipped creamy filling? maybe?

and i don't know how the vinegar might impact the different things i mentioned -- just 'thinking out loud' as the saying goes -- it does great in american buttercream -- should be ok in the others -- but you never know till you try -- right?

just a pumpkin filling thought

kristykgs Posted 3 Sep 2016 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 11

Thank K8. You are right about the lightness the filling needs to be due the heaviness of Pumpkin. My cupcakes stand out because I don't use any buttercream in my filling. I always figure out the flavors I'm looking for and come up with some type of filling that I create. That is what I'm looking for with the pumpkin. Trying to figure out what flavors = maybe a pecan/caramel mix - eh might be too heavy. Whipped cream with nuts would be fabulous, but I'm a home baker and am not allowed to use that due to refrigeration. I keep tossing a spiced apple mix around - but again, not sure about it. I guess I will have to do it and put different stuff in there to figure it out. Like I always say, just do it and see if I like it. LOL

-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2016 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 11

with a streusel topping on the pumpkin-- maybe lighten this up for filling -- try it someday maybe -- i mean I would not necessarily use buttercream for a cupcake filling either but it's an interesting flavor -- 

http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/61811/white-balsamic-american-buttercream

would love to hear what you come up with --

'fresh market' has thanksgiving and christmas flavored coffees coming up -- they have a chocolate cherry kiss coffee that is wonderful in chocolate cake -- but the ho!iday ones would make a great mocha flavor for a filling --

you could even steep your own with nutmeg, cinnamon, clove etc.

what do you use if you don't use buttercream ,--

what about a nice shot of apple butter! boozey apple butter even better --

you're making me very hungry and I've been losing weight (again) (forever)

blush.png

oh wait probably have to fridge the apple butter....but that was a good one...

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 4 Sep 2016 , 5:18am
post #7 of 11

That might be a long shot and since I have a bad cold right now I might have weired cravings right now...so ignore if that sounds yucky...but pumpkin always goes well will chilli. So was thinking of a white chocolate chilli mousse as a filling :[]

julia1812 Posted 4 Sep 2016 , 5:19am
post #8 of 11

Oh wait...actually coconut chilli would work even better!

julia1812 Posted 4 Sep 2016 , 5:21am
post #9 of 11

Chilli enhances the flavour. Especially of chocolate. Like a chilli ganache... I don't mean you should overload it so it becomes super hot or anything. ...

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2016 , 10:56am
post #10 of 11

brilliant

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2016 , 11:06am
post #11 of 11

i use cayenne pepper with Saigon cinnamon -- would be good in with the pumpkin not necessarily in a filling unless it was an apple one but at least there's some more ideas for you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%