I Want To Start My Own Cup-Cake Business. Help.

Business By TCupcakes Updated 3 Sep 2016 , 9:05pm by Baker Beach

TCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TCupcakes Posted 30 Aug 2016 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 9

I live in NY. At the moment Im still building my recipes. However in the near future how would I go about selling my cupcakes? They would be a small trifle like style "cup-cake". Do you think that selling my cake in a trifle form would be production sufficient? Owning a storefront is too expensive for the time being so I was thinking about renting a commercial kitchen and maybe doing wholesale from there. Would I need a licence to do wholesale, how would I approach this?

Thank you.

8 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 31 Aug 2016 , 6:49am
post #2 of 9

I'm not in the states so can't give you advise on licence etc but my thought when reading this was you have to sell a he'll of a lot of cupcake to make money. It will be harder without store front as I guess the market is quite saturated. Do you have some sort of clientele already or any idea to whom to sell a couple of hundred cupcakes to on a daily basis? Don't want to discourage you...just asking. Cupcakes were "in" in the 90s and now you get them at every corner so a business based on cupcakes only might struggle.......

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 31 Aug 2016 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 9

Yeah, I agree with @julia1812 ‍.  The baking business has gone through a dramatic change; cupcakes are sold everywhere by everyone. Plus, the rental cost for commercial kitchen space often leaves a business with zero income. 

NY State has a permit that allows for home-based baking. There are limitations placed on venues and allowed products, but starting this way keeps your costs minimal. Read the page carefully and thoroughly. Call their Albany office with any questions. 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Aug 2016 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 9

The market for cupcakes disappeared 2-3 years ago in my area.  The cute local cupcake shops all closed and I haven't been able to sell one in a long time.  I'm not in NY, so maybe the market is different there.  

Good luck, and yes you'll need some sort of licensing.

TCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TCupcakes Posted 1 Sep 2016 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 9

@MimiFix ‍ From what I read from the page it seems that I cannot sell cupcakes as a home processor due to the cupcakes need refrigeration. I forgot to mention I live in NYC where its even harder to get by with a lot of regulations and rules.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Sep 2016 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 9

not only is there all that -- there is no protected area -- really nothing that is off limits like in other fields -- I can buy fondant in my g.r.o.c.e.r.y store -- I actually bought pearls the exact size i needed at the same grocery store -- the smallest ones at my cake decorating store were too big and I mean that was just a fluke sort of --

and I'm not saying that the average person who buys fondant at Kroger will be able to apply it expertly but it still zaps the market and it still reduces the amount of orders that could be placed kwim --

it's the wrong business to run to a) make a living at b) hope to actually make a consistent decent profit -- you're sure as shooting not gonna get rich -- I doubt you could rely on it for tuition payments things like that -- idk --

the baking business is about spent -- just about all wound out -- not being negative at all this is just the way it is

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Sep 2016 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 9

and not that can't have a viable business if you're super careful, have a thorough market study done and find the right niche -- not necessarily the one you wanted but the one that will work in your location

and best to you 

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 3 Sep 2016 , 2:17pm
post #8 of 9

Yes,  under the NY Home Processor permit, products needing refrigeration are not allowed. You can, however, start with other (allowed) products as a way to test your idea of being in business. And the permit is statewide so living in NYC should have no affect upon permit status. That's why I suggested contacting Albany with any questions.

Baker Beach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker Beach Posted 3 Sep 2016 , 9:05pm
post #9 of 9

Could you start at a farmers market? I'm new and am just finishing up the summer at our local market-- it has been great as far as getting my name and menu "out there." Plus, you can test the waters without a huge investment. I've actually gotten some regular customers and some events scheduled through the market contacts. I know there are still the state and city rules, but in the Midwest anyway they seem to be somewhat more lenient with farmers markets. I was able to make it work and still be in compliance. Caveat: A farmers market probably won't be the biggest money-maker, but you can market yourself really well there. Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%