Wedding Cake Cut With Saber

Decorating By fcakes Updated 1 Sep 2016 , 6:39am by Pastrybaglady

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 30 Aug 2016 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 5

One of my brides contacted me to order a 1-tier re-creation of the wedding cake and said that half of her wedding cake fell and was discarded, when they cut it with a saber!!! While she has not complained or anything and was very appreciative of the cake, I'm curious to know  if a cake can fall like that?

I am going to ask if they cut the bottom tier only or cut it from top to bottom all the way through?!!!  I haven't heard of this happening before!

4 replies
640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 31 Aug 2016 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 5

They could have tried to cut it from top to bottom and didn't account for the cake boards in each tier or even just tried to cut the top as too much pressure on one side of the cake would make it lean.  I wouldn't think the cake would fall if they just cut the bottom?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Aug 2016 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 5

I've seen that maneuver.  Back in the day when I was also renting chocolate fountains, I was still at the reception manning the fountain when the bride and groom came to cut the cake.  They were Asian and I don't know if that has any bearing on the use of the saber.  Groom picked up the sabre/sword, held it above the top tier and whoosh, cut through the top tier, but stopped at the board underneath.  I watched in horror as  both halves of the cake teetered,   (he did a masterful job of cutting it exactly in half) as a chasm opened up in the middle of the cake.  Fortunately it did not fall.  But I can see how that could happen.

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 31 Aug 2016 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 5

Omg yes... this couple was Asian too! (Chinese I think!). They could've gently cut into the bottom tier right?!! I am waiting to hear back from the bride if they cut it all through! wow!

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 1 Sep 2016 , 6:39am
post #5 of 5

Ha ha! My brother wanted to do that at his wedding, and yes, it's the Asian love of weaponry. He wanted to use a double edged sword but the wedding coordinator stopped him. I had a couple cut the cake exactly in half (not with a sword but a regular cake knife) and because it was hot and the cake was outdoors one of the halves just went plop on the floor. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%