Chocolate Cake Recipe

Baking By CakesbyMichele Updated 28 Aug 2016 , 4:51pm by kakeladi

CakesbyMichele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMichele Posted 28 Aug 2016 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 2

I am currently using the WASC-2 recipe for all my cakes.  I've used it for a couple years.  Recently, I have had not as positive comments about my chocolate cake.  A couple comments was that it was too rich.  Okay?  Anyway, I haven't done anything different so I'm a little perplexed about this but want the positive reaction as this is part of what sells the cakes.  Still getting very positive responses for the other flavors.  All made the same with WASC-2 recipe.  Any thoughts on this?  I love to use the cake mix and doctor them so any suggestions on a different recipe for the chocolate that is really good?  Any feedback would be appreciated.  I feel I need to make some kind of change with the chocolate but not sure what.  I currently use the Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix.  Wondering if I should change to Devil's Food?  Thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Aug 2016 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 2

Have you considered that the mix size has changed?  Several yrs ago now....IDK.   If the the comments you are getting are that the cake is too rich, I suggest you try a different choco mix.  

Yrs ago I asked someone (high up in the cake mix/food industry) what was the difference between the choco flavors and he said they were basically the same....just that devils food has a bit more red color in it, simple things like that  However choc fudge I would think must has more cocoa powder or whatever they use for choco flavor than others.  

You might want to do a visual inspection of each choco mix (dry) to see how the color (and therefore the flavor) might be different.  

It's very unfortunate that we as bakers don't have a say in how or when a mix formula is changed -- we are at the mercy of the companies.  Having said that I do remember once many yrs ago (like more than 25 yrs) being asked by one of the mix companies (I think it was Pillsbury but not sure) if I would participate in a test using a new formula of mix.  They sent me a case of white mixes and I was to use it and compare it to what was already on the market.  As little as I can recall of the situation I didn't notice much difference between the new and old :)

O.k.  I've rambled on about nothing enough here.  Maybe there is something here that might help you figure this out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%