Bride Suing For "ruined" Wedding Cake

Decorating By Sweet Bites Updated 29 Aug 2016 , 2:47am by johnson6ofus

Sweet Bites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet Bites Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 7:03am
post #1 of 32

I have a bride who claims her cake fell apart at the reception. I have been making cakes almost 20 years and have never had a disaster nor a bride claim this. She stated when they arrived to the venue, the flowers had fallen out of the cake and were all over the table. She has no picture of this, just the cake after they "fixed" it. The banquet hall was at the Elks and the room was open, golfers, swimmers and diners were all walking through. The cake was perfect when I left (an hour before the reception), supported with 15mm wooden dowels in each tier, flowers wired and attached with royal icing. Cake had been chilled for over 12 hours. At a loss for what happened other than it being messed with. Thoughts?

[postimage id="5000" thumb="900"]

31 replies
Nancylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancylou Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 7:14am
post #2 of 32

Do you think they may have a video camera for security purposes?  Since there is so much traffic, I would be surprised if they didn't have some sort of surveillance.

Hang in there.  Prayers coming your way.

RobinYummCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobinYummCakes Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 10:38am
post #3 of 32

Maybe the bride and groom topper was too heavy for it? Sorry that happened to you. I had a wedding cake nightmare once, and it's absolutely the worst feeling. But all we can do is live and learn, even if it wasn't your fault. Have you reached out to the bride about it? The best thing you can do at this point, if you have not done so,  is ask her what you can do for her to make her happy at this point, within reason of course. 

:( Sorry! The cake really was beautiful.

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 11:32am
post #4 of 32

On the presumption that the left photo is yours and the right photo is theirs...

And not knowing how you anchored your flowers...  How were they anchored?

There is a slight bulge in the top tier... but, that could be from them holding the cake to re-stuff in the two white flowers on the top...

The flowers were obviously moved...

The cake isn't leaning... as far as I can tell...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 12:18pm
post #5 of 32

She's suing you for that? that's a bit of an overreaction...But anyway.

The idea of looking at a security camera is great, if they have one. I photoshopped the angle of the second photo so that it's actually being seen from the same angle as the first one, since the second one was tilted. I lined up the curtain behind the two cakes and they're totally in line with each other, so the second one now shows exactly the angle that the cake was standing at. The second photo was taken from slightly above the position of the first one, so there's more of a downward-looking angle to it, but it does show that the cake wasn't falling over. The downward angle makes the bottom tier look shorter, but that's just because it was taken slightly from above, as you can see by looking at the length of the cake board in both pictures.

The bulge on the top tier can kind of be seen on the first photo too, so that looks like a layer was sliding a little. The flowers on the bottom tier look like they've been either melting , moved, or messed with, so I don't know what went on there, but the other ones don't look like they were moved. 

I'd call the person who was in charge of the room and find out what happened. A lot of the time you'll get a different story from a third party.[postimage id="5004" thumb="900"]

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 12:22pm
post #6 of 32

First of all -- drop dead gorgeous cake -- seriously stunning --

then look at the disturbance on the bottom tier -- there appears to be the stem of the big black flower maybe showing a shadow there or that couldn't be a dowel -- it's a white rectangular shadow -- it's interesting that the topper is in nearly the same place -- just a little bit over from the original -- if someone moved it they did a heck of a job putting it back so I don't think it was moved --

• how heavy were the flowers
  • how many dowel in the bottom tier
  • was there a slide gooey filling that gave it up maybe got a little watery -- fresh strawberries that went weepy & started the structural issues?

i started thinking the table got banged and maybe it did but looks like there at least also had to be some internal weakness to make the cake move like that to accommodate the weakening in several places -- flowers a bit too heavy -- pulling on dowel that may have slid just a teeny bit when stacking/centering tiers -- you'd be stacking from the same side so could a been two dowel failed --

what time the picture was taken -- was the floor bouncey -- was there loud music/dancing nearby -- did the heat come on -- was it in the sun -- did someone prop open a door that streamed heat/humidity

I'm sorry you're having to go through this

-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 12:28pm
post #7 of 32

*slidey gooey filling

-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 12:29pm
post #8 of 32

i think your flowers were too heavy

-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 1:29pm
post #9 of 32

and from what I've seen on courtroom tv shows -- the most a person can get is a full refund -- I can't see this cake not making it to the dessert plates though --

unless you get some other juicy revelation from your further investigation -- she should get a generous refund i think but don't know how much --

i know that feeling in the pit of your stomach that all the pithy sayings in the world won't really make go away until it's resolved but try & package it up in a little place by itself till you need to go there kwim --

best to you

Sweet Bites Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 2:48pm
post #10 of 32

The cake topper was actually plastic and light as a feather so I doubt that played a roll. The cake was filled with buttercream and had been chilled well. The bottom tier had 9 dowels and there were 7 in the next tier and 6 in the 8" with a center stake driven through the bottom three tiers. The flowers were wired with 3 and four inch anchor stems and royal icing to adhere to the cake. They were like cement in there, no wiggle, no move AT ALL. An hour before the reception when the cake was delivered, the room was ice cold. I just don't see how within an hour or two this happened.

I know the entire cake was served and have seen the cake cutting pics along with hearing the guests rave at the taste. It looks like someone pulled the flowers off to me. The one white flower is missing the black center.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 3:00pm
post #11 of 32

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the cake is very near the edge of the table. In my opinion, that cake was hit, whether by a guest or whoever and pressure was applied from the top. Maybe attempting to catch it before it fell over? 

Any way you look at it, the cake was beautiful and in good shape when you left it. I'm guessing you fulfilled the terms of your contract completely. (Please tell me you had a contract.)

If the cake was served, the bride doesn't have any basis for a lawsuit. She ordered a cake which you provided and it was eaten by guests. The pics may not have been exactly what she wanted but that's not your responsibility.

YOU did not ruin anything and shouldn't be accused of it.

Sweet Bites Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 3:16pm
post #12 of 32

Yes there was a contract which also stated if there was a problem, she was to notify me immediately, not 2 days later. Also she is complaining that the cake was not what she wanted. Originally she wanted gold sequins but after picking out the bridesmaid dresses messaged me she wanted gold glitter. Now complained the cake was suppose to be gold glitter and it wasn't even gold. She changed the original date, time, venue and cake size were changed (from 5 tiers to 4) due to financial down sizing, all of which I accommodated her on. She is saying the cake didn't match the dresses or colors, her colors where black, white and gold. Also stated it is nothing like what she ordered, sketch below was agreed design in the contract. [postimage id="5005" thumb="900"][postimage id="5006" thumb="900"]

-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 3:54pm
post #13 of 32

wow what good news -- so the topper even if it got knocked off wasn't as breakable as ceramic -- well massive kudos to you! you really got your bases covered -- so wth happened -- wonder if she had some slightly malicious relative idk 

but I dearly love your cake --

ooooh we don't think it was done to get a refund -- that turns my stomach!

-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 3:57pm
post #14 of 32

i mean i guess it was just an off moment but she looks wound a little tight in the photo idk

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 4:12pm
post #15 of 32

First, I would delete the pic of the bridal party, sorry but, not cool to post that here.  I agree with @costumeczar ‍ your white flowers look like they may have melted/softened and started to droop.  That may have caused the weight of them to be too heavy thus falling.

Your sketch is beautiful.  When you cancelled that lower tier, if you had kept the glitter to the top and part of the 2nd tier and left the 3rd tier down white with dots, it would have looked more in line with your sketch, which is probably why she was disappointed.

Sorry this happened to you.  Obviously, they ate and enjoyed the cake.  You have to look at it from a business angle and decide if you had any wrongdoing.  If not, then let her sue.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 4:34pm
post #16 of 32

Your cake is absolutely beautiful. Don't think there was anything wrong with the construction.

I believe it was the fault of the Elk's hall..room was probably too hot, someone, Im' speculating, who knows who, either bumped into the table, touched the cake, pulled flowers off, something to disturb your cake. 

I ALWAYS..can't stress this enough

1. Take a picture with time stamp and date showing cake was perfectly set up when I left

2. Get person in charge to sign off that cake was delivered, and all was fine.

This way you have 100% proof you delivered what was promised. Ya gotta cover your butt!!

That being said...this is about more than a spoiled cake! When bride starts whining 2 days afterwards about cake colour, blah, blah...I'm thinkin...hmmm...someone's sniffing for a refund here. Especially since she changed sizes because of tight budget. Let her flap her gums...and absolutely do not refund her a penny. You have a signed contract. You did your job, produced a lovely wedding cake. Once the cake leaves your premises and is delivered, it's the responsibility of tbe venue. 

Sweet Bites Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 4:53pm
post #17 of 32

How do I delete the wedding party photo?

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 5:12pm
post #18 of 32

Did you actually receive papers from a lawyer saying she is suing you or did she just say she is?

If she just said it and papers haven't shown up, She may also be just trying to get $ back since there was already a financial downsize...

Just a thought... 

costumeczar Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 5:50pm
post #19 of 32

Quote by @AAtKT on 29 minutes ago

Did you actually receive papers from a lawyer saying she is suing you or did she just say she is?

If she just said it and papers haven't shown up, She may also be just trying to get $ back since there was already a financial downsize...

Just a thought... 

This is what I'm thinking now that you added more info. The "wandering complaint" tends to happen when one thing is proven to be not true, and the bride still wants a refund so she comes up with a  different things to complain about.

If this was happening to me, I would:

1. Screenshot every photo I had access to that show the cake during the reception, including contacting the photographer and asking for photos of the cake cutting. This will show that it didn't fall over.

2. Call the reception hall and ask what happened. Don't ask the person who answers the phone, get the person who was in charge and the person who cut the cake to serve it.

3. Once that was done and you've clarified what really went on, tell the bride that you'll either give her a percentage refund if you think it was something about the construction of the cake, or tell her that you spoke to the venue and they didn't see anything wrong. You need to be careful not to throw the venue under the bus, though, so choose your words carefully. Tell her that based on the sketch and the signed contract and emails, you delivered the design that she ordered.

4. If she persists and says that she's still going to sue you, tell her to have her attorney get in touch with yours with a full written complaint, and give her your attorney's name and address. Also say that if you receive a letter your offer of a refund (if you offered it) is null and void. That will usually be enough to stop someone who's just being a mess about it. She'll have to write out everything she's complaining about, pay for an attorney, and know that she's lying because you have a contract with a drawing etc.

Sweet Bites Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 6:15pm
post #20 of 32

Her bridesmaid works with my daughter and she told her she was going to sue. No papers served yet, but the bride's mother took to Facebook publicly and trashed me. There were over 80 comments, some even with threats of violence for ruining her wedding. I did screenshot the posts and all communication with the bride along with all the pictures. I even have pictures of the cake in stages showing the wooden dowels in the tiers. She even accused me of not making the cake and getting it from walmart lol.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 7:07pm
post #21 of 32

omg -- that's way too much drama for a cake --

there is excellent advise here in this thread for you --

as far as deleting you'd have to contact admin at this point -- the help button up there -- and mention it's in "bride suing for "ruined" wedding cake" post #12" -- they may or may not get to it

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 8:05pm
post #22 of 32

Well, if she's trashing you on fb and threatening legal action without speaking with you and seeing what your response is...then I would tell her to stick it. That's a unreasonable and overkill on her part.

Sorry you have to deal with that. 

woozy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woozy Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 8:08pm
post #23 of 32

Everyone on the planet has a camera phone, and she has no pics before she put it back together??

BS.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 8:14pm
post #24 of 32

So sorry Sweet Bites. It's just  words, as Jinkies said, trash talk. All done to unerve you. Since youve taken a screenshot, remove the remarks and report to fb admin. And considering this bride is supposedly cash strapped, lawyers charge anywhere from $150-500 an hr. It will cost her more to sue you...unless bride was seeking damages. Judge would laugh that right out of court. 

woozy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woozy Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 8:30pm
post #25 of 32

Unless she took photos before she touched it, she has no case.  My guess would be that a flower was sagging, and she did more harm than good.  

-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 8:35pm
post #26 of 32

i'd get screen shots of all and call the police in a heart beat for 'threats of violence'

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 28 Aug 2016 , 12:24am
post #27 of 32

The only 2 flowers in the same position are the 2 tan ones sitting on the top tier. the rest are in lowered positions on the cake.

There are little black crumbly bits on the white cake board. The bottom-left white flower is crushed pushing all the petals towards the center, and it appears that the little tan flower and the black flower right next to it were also altered resulting in the petals all being closed up and pushed towards the center.

The big black ball in the center of the middle-tier white flower is missing.  Now strangely, every single paper napkin, on both sides of the cake, is in exactly the same position without a hairs movement.

If all of the flowers had slid lower by their weight, they would have been whacked on the bottoms only (and this is something that I've learned the hard way)  but the bottom tier flowers were crushed from all sides.

Where are the little stamens on the bottom-tier right hand white flower.  The large group of stamens is obvious on the top left, however in the left hand photo there is a group of stamens on the lower right of the center ball.  In the second photo there are no stamens at all on the lower right of the center ball.  Where did they go?

Yes, please remove the photo of the people.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 28 Aug 2016 , 1:13am
post #28 of 32

These kind of stories are just one of the reasons I stay away from the wedding business! It seems pretty clear she's trying to get some kind of refund. Is there a website somewhere telling brides to do this kind of thing to recoup some of their money? 

costumeczar Posted 28 Aug 2016 , 2:56am
post #29 of 32

Quote by @Jinkies on 6 hours ago

Well, if she's trashing you on fb and threatening legal action without speaking with you and seeing what your response is...then I would tell her to stick it. That's a unreasonable and overkill on her part.

Sorry you have to deal with that. 

Not only that, but if she's posting this publicly you can sue her for libel. I'd be tempted to have an attorney send her a cease and desist for that. At the very least, ban her and delete the comments (after screenshotting them) if she posts anything on your business page. 

costumeczar Posted 28 Aug 2016 , 2:58am
post #30 of 32

Quote by @Pastrybaglady on 1 hour ago

These kind of stories are just one of the reasons I stay away from the wedding business! It seems pretty clear she's trying to get some kind of refund. Is there a website somewhere telling brides to do this kind of thing to recoup some of their money? 

The "complain to recoup your costs" thing is a pretty common strategy with a certain group of brides. The lowlife ones, that is. If you start comparing notes with the other vendors, it isn't unusual to find out that the bride who complains to you has also complained to everyone else. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%