Friday Night Cake Club For 8/26/16

Decorating By catlharper Updated 29 Aug 2016 , 5:17am by julia1812

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 5:02am
post #1 of 15

Hi everyone! Opening up another session of the FNCC! ALL levels of cakers are welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help if needed or lend a hand if they can!

Cat

14 replies
catlharper Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 5:03am
post #2 of 15

Hi everyone!

So sorry for starting so late. We had unexpected out of town family drop in and then, well, to be honest, I forgot it was Friday! LOL! Hope you all had a great week!

Cat

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 8:41am
post #3 of 15

[postimage id="5002" thumb="900"]

julia1812 Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 8:47am
post #4 of 15

Well...I think you're doing a great job keeping fncc up and running so am sure nobody minds it's late (I actually didn't even notice).

I had only this sort of last minute deep sea fishing cake. Last minute in the sense of I didn't had much time to make it. Initially the client wanted something with kite surfing, deep sea fishing, girls, beer and much more but we reduced it to this simpler theme due to my time issue.

It was a 10 inch "death by chocolate" chocolate cake with ganache, covered in tie dye blue fondant, a white fondant rope with a (sailor's) sheet bend knot, fondant Marlin topper, hand painted and personalised Tusker beer logo and gum paste fishing rod.

I quite enjoyed making it but wish I would have had more time for some details....

sweetchariot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetchariot Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 11:14am
post #5 of 15

I'll jump in. I just finished an R2D2 cake for a three year old' birthday. They wanted the base to be cube and the robot to be a dome, not a figurine. Also they wanted it all to look distressed. 

Mot was taking wayyyyy too long towards the end so I threw the bottom tier together. Usually I have a lot more details but alas, it is 4 am. I am tired.

[postimage id="5003" thumb="900"]

sweetchariot Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 11:15am
post #6 of 15

And it is sideways. Oops. Oh well. Night!

catlharper Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 15

WOW! @julia1812 ‍ That is quite the cake!!! I'm totally impresses with your Marlin! Wow!

And speaking of Wow! @sweetchariot ‍ Since I just made a cake similar to this I know this little guy isn't a piece of cake! Great job!

I'm off to work now...hope to see more when I return!

Cat

sweetchariot Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 15

That Marlin is amazing! 

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 29 Aug 2016 , 1:45am
post #9 of 15

I'm late to the party again this week..... I went kayaking yesterday and then soccer tonight and had a cake to get done in between.

@julia1812 ‍your cake turned out great!  Your marlin, the knot and the logo are all so well done!

@sweetchariot ‍that's a different version of R2D2.  I don't get the box part (nothing against you in saying that) but you made it look really good!  I did an R2D2 3 years ago as my first big 3D cake and he has more detail than it first seems.  I pulled an all nighter to do mine so I appreciate the work you put in to yours.

Just one cake for me this week.  A lady I take pottery class with asked me to make a dual themed cake for her to take to her work.  They were having a baby shower/going away party for two of their coworkers.  I decided to do a two sided cake to incorporate the two occasions.  Other than the baby sneakers, this was a design as I went cake and so there are things I wish I would have done different.  The argyle pattern should have been green where it is white and then the stitching white instead of green.  I also should have used a finer tip for the stitching.  Live and learn....

kstevens Posted 29 Aug 2016 , 1:45am
post #10 of 15

[postimage id="5012" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 29 Aug 2016 , 1:47am
post #11 of 15

Forgot to say that I used a mold for the golf ball.  It is made with candy melts.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 29 Aug 2016 , 2:36am
post #12 of 15

Very nice golf cake @kstevens. Perfect golf ball.

Movie characters like your R2D2 are so cool! @sweetchariot ‍ very nice.

Great fish and a super well done rod @julia1812 ‍ 

sweetchariot Posted 29 Aug 2016 , 3:44am
post #13 of 15

Yeah it was the client's design. She liked the cube but didn't want other Star Wars things. Also wanted it dark blue. I usually do a lot of sketching and things before I make her cake, but this time she just wanted this. She was happy : )

And honestly, opening up the cake to changes for this particular client would have opened a can of worms. It would probably be a princess by the time she was done changing ideas haha! So we stuck with the cube.

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 29 Aug 2016 , 4:57am
post #14 of 15

@julia1812 ‍ love the Marlin and how his tail is coming out the side and very clean work. 

@sweetchariot‍ R2D2 is well done and looks good and a happy client what more can you ask for.

@kstevens ‍ love how you combined the cakes and those shoes are perfect. 

I will not bore y'all with a picture of my cupcakes. I made lemon cupcakes with blackberry frosting and some lwith lemon frosting. Turned out good.

julia1812 Posted 29 Aug 2016 , 5:17am
post #15 of 15

@sweetchariot that R2D2 cake looks huge! I never watched that movie with it but I know he's got buttons and lights and little bits and pieces all over. Must have taken you a long time.

@kstevens Omg I love argyle pattern! And what a fun idea to reveal the gender of the baby with the golf ball and the shoes lol. Like the colors you used. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%