Melted Chocolate For Cookies Covering And Decoration

Decorating By Xeina Updated 30 Aug 2016 , 8:34am by Dar917

Xeina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Xeina Posted 26 Aug 2016 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 4

I tried to decorate cookies with royal icing and I hate its taste, since it's too sweet and too hard.. I was wondering if chocolate can be used instead. Any advice about how to achieve the best results using chocolate?

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Aug 2016 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 4

i do this -- chocolate is wonderful for this

I often make gingerbread and some other cut out cookies -- I already have powdered food colors because I can never remember which non-powdered food colors are ok to use in royal icing that are without fat and which food colors are ok for choco which are without water -- maybe they are all interchangeable now idk --

so all that to say use the right food color if you go that route --

and when I say chocolate i mean the candy coating you buy at the grocery store -- I add vanilla powder and this stuff is amazing -- I could also add some butter flavored oil but I never remember -- I used to buy a butter/van powder from King Arthur -- all in one -- easy for k8t -- but they don't carry it any more --

my little gingerbread trees just get snow so I really don't use too much coloring but you will love your results -- and I use parchment cones -- and a heating pad or I place a saucer on top of a small pot of hot water to keep the choco in the right mood to flow -- I cut the tips of the parchment cones -- the metal tips cool off too fast --

when I put my stuff away I pinch the tip of the bag closed and push the chocolate up into the bag  away from the tip to enable it to be carefully microwaved or re-heated to use again -- once it're-warmed you can pinch the tip of the bag closed and prime the choco back & forth to get the tidbits in the tip all warmed up too -- 

you will love your results

Xeina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Xeina Posted 30 Aug 2016 , 6:03am
post #3 of 4

Thank you @-K8memphis ‍ !I will try your method :)

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 30 Aug 2016 , 8:34am
post #4 of 4

WIlton gel food color doesn't work with candy melts; I tried it and it just made little tiny speckles in it. If you want colors I suggest mixing colored candy melts to get the colors you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%