Gold Dust

Decorating By Jenmarlene Updated 7 Sep 2016 , 10:48am by Naynay89

Jenmarlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenmarlene Posted 26 Aug 2016 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 8

not sure where to go and find a good gold dust that will make your cake look shinny 14k gold. theres no many online and dont know which one to buy.

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Aug 2016 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 8

edible or non-edible

Jenmarlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenmarlene Posted 26 Aug 2016 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 8

edible

Naynay89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naynay89 Posted 28 Aug 2016 , 10:35am
post #4 of 8

I bought a few from https://www.facebook.com/angelassweetworld/

Just search gold dust. They are lovely.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 5 Sep 2016 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 8

I didn't see any dusts for sale in the FB link above.....

If you are in the US and the dusted portion of food will be eaten, you need to use edible dusts that are made of FDA approved food additives.  You can find such dusts from thesugarart.com, pristinepowders.com, sugarpaste.com, globalsugarart.com, firstimpressionsmolds.com. 

If a dust is described as "non-toxic", IT IS NOT EDIBLE.  If a dust has no easily readable ingredient list [or no ingredient list at all], IT IS NOT EDIBLE.  If you are in the US and a dust is described as being edible in other countries [and/or uses "E numbers" to list ingredients], IT IS NOT EDIBLE HERE.  If a dust is described as a "highlighter", IT IS NOT EDIBLE.  Real metals--gold or silver, for example--are not approved food additives in the US.

Naynay89 Posted 6 Sep 2016 , 4:42am
post #6 of 8

It is not on theyre facebook page. There is a link for her etsy page : https://www.etsy.com/people/mar5874

The dust is not always available though. Check the color out: https://www.instagram.com/p/BJL91BchlWw/?taken-by=cakesbyangelamorrison&hl=en

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 6 Sep 2016 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 8

Looking at the photos of the product and the Instagram post [she doesn't answer direct inquiries about it being FDA approved],  I have to say that I doubt that it's a dust approved for use on food in the US.  I'd have to see the label showing the ingredients before I could be certain, but I have yet to see an honestly edible dust that is that bright when mixed just with vodka.......

When you purchased, did it come with any type of label or ingredients list on the container?  If so , please share that information, as everyone wants a truly edible product that is so metallic. 

Or, has it been re-packed in a plain container?  If so, it can't be considered to be edible in the US because every food producer has to be able to cite every ingredient used in/on every product.

A product described as edible in a country other than the US is not likely to be approved as edible in the US unless is specifically uses color additives certified by the FDA and is also labeled in an FDA-compliant manner. 

Naynay89 Posted 7 Sep 2016 , 10:48am
post #8 of 8

Really good to know. I haven't looked through that yet as I did not buy from her. A friend has refereed me to her page and I was going to purchase once they are back in stock. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%