Question About Raspberry Seeds And Blenders

Baking By Dar917 Updated 27 Aug 2016 , 9:02pm by Dar917

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 23 Aug 2016 , 2:57am
post #1 of 15

Hi everyone,

so I want to get a new immersion blender, because I want to make berry sauces for cheesecakes, panna cotta, etc. I love raspberries but hate raspberry seeds. Pressing the raspberry mush through a strainer doesn't really work because it takes forever and some of the seeds still get through. So if I blend with an immersion blender long enough will it grind up the seeds too? I haven't been able to find anything useful through a Google search. Thanks!

14 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 23 Aug 2016 , 6:11am
post #2 of 15

I never successfully blended raspberries seeds but maybe I wasn't patient enough or didn't use the right blender.

But to be honest I never find it hard to pish them through a strainer. Big spoon (use the back if it) and some stirring. Done!

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 23 Aug 2016 , 12:16pm
post #3 of 15

I have never been able to blend the raspberry seeds either...

I have a very fine mesh sieve and use a rubber spatula... doesn't really take long at all... Then again, I am usually only making a cup or so...

woozy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woozy Posted 24 Aug 2016 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 15

I've had a Champ and a Vitamix, and no. I think the stupid little seeds just move around.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Aug 2016 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 15

I was gong to say definitely not with an immersion blender.  But thought that perhaps a VitaMix might do it.  It that monster won't grind up those little seeds, nothing will!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 25 Aug 2016 , 12:56am
post #6 of 15

The seeds don't entirely disappear after processing. They morph into grit. The texture can be disguised if you don't mind adding something like nuts. (Or seeds.)  I've done some experimenting and finally settled on purchasing seedless jam.  

Dar917 Posted 25 Aug 2016 , 1:37am
post #7 of 15

Ok, I guess I'll be looking for a finer strainer along with a new stick blender. Thanks everyone!

sugarbritches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbritches Posted 25 Aug 2016 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 15

Never had success getting the seeds blended.  Finally bought a fine mesh strainer on Amazon for $12.  Worth every penny.  Labor time still the same but no seeds get through.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 25 Aug 2016 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 15

I have a vita mix blender. I make smoothies with raspberries and strawberries all the time. They pulverize the seeds. I've put frozen raspberries and water alone into my vita mix, also pulverized the seeds. Perhaps that is the trick...using frozen berries? If done frozen with water in the vita mix then sugar added..cook down..wa la raspberry coulis..sauce.

Dar917 Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 5:19am
post #10 of 15

Quote by @sugarbritches on 1 day ago

Never had success getting the seeds blended.  Finally bought a fine mesh strainer on Amazon for $12.  Worth every penny.  Labor time still the same but no seeds get through.

Would you mind sharing a link to the one you bought? All the ones I looked at at the store tonight had the same size holes.

GoWildCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GoWildCakes Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 3:13pm
post #11 of 15

I had a similar problem trying to use real raspberries in my raspberry cake.  Now I use the fruit and vegetable strainer attachment for my Kitchenaid.  It gets about 90 -95% of the seeds out!  I love it and use it for anything with tiny seeds.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/kitchenaid-fruit-and-vegetable-strainer-attachments-for-most-kitchenaid-stand-mixers-white/9751177.p?id=1218167409693&skuId=9751177

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 4:08pm
post #12 of 15

If I didn't have my Vita Mix blender, and I wanted raspberry coulis...or spread, for the amount of time and effort...and expense, I'd buy seedless raspberry jam. Wait for it to be on sale...stock up.

sugarbritches Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 4:51pm
post #13 of 15

Here is the strainer I bought.  No seeds get through.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014KSAVSI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

sugarbritches Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 7:45pm
post #14 of 15

I find store bought jam too sweet.

Dar917 Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 9:02pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks for the links! I do like seedless raspberry jam, but probably not for things like cheesecakes, panna cotta or pancakes. I have a story about that actually: We were having breakfast at a place last weekend, I ordered french toast and they never brought me syrup, so I ended up putting on the jelly they had at the table. It was ok, but probably not something I would do again, I'd prefer real fruit sauce if I can get it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%