Help With Wedding Cupcake Numbers

Baking By hep275 Updated 25 Aug 2016 , 8:28pm by hep275

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 21 Aug 2016 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 13

Hi all, just after some advice.  I'm doing the cupcakes for a wedding in February for a friend's daughter and we're not sure on the number of cakes to allow. They've invited 80 to the actual ceremony and then there's an evening event with about 100 - so an additional 20 guests just for the evening.  We're struggling to work out how many cakes to allow for both parts of the day.  I was thinking of doing 100 for the main ceremony part but don't know how many to cater for for the evening.  Any advice would be welcome.  Thanks, Helen.

12 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Aug 2016 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 13

i mean you usually don't do food for the ceremony just the reception -- do you mean two receptions? if most of the people are repeats i'd suggest two different types of dessert -- not exactly sure what you have in mind -- need a little more info

hep275 Posted 21 Aug 2016 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 13

so they are having the wedding and reception with about 80 guests and then an evening function at which there is going to be the 80 guests from the ceremony plus another 20ish.  They are having food at both parts and also want cupcakes at both.  The meal for the ceremony part is a hog roast and there is pizza for the evening.

-K8memphis Posted 21 Aug 2016 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 13

i'd make 180-200 cupcakes -- it's an ongoing stretched out all day kind of affair -- if there's drinking maybe you could cut back -- but i let the client make the final decision -- how much they wanna pay for

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 21 Aug 2016 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 13

Wow pizza and hog roast! Very first thought when I read that was Guinness cupcakes for the evening!!! Rustic maybe with a dark chocolate filling? 

For the reception I'd do the opposite - light and bright. White almond cupcakes with raspberry filling and some filigran brushed embroidery topper wrapped in white lace.

And number wise I'd do 80 and 100. Maybe chuck in some more you never know...100 -and 120? Or is that a paid order? Hang on...then I'd say numbers are up to the customer. But at least every guest should get one. If you do the 95mm in the afternoon I'd definitely do a full 110mm in the evening. That's about a wedding cake slice size.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 21 Aug 2016 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 13

Ops...sorry! You weren't asking for flavors I know. Just numbers.  Got carried away :/

-K8memphis Posted 21 Aug 2016 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 13

and just for clarity i agree with julia -- i meant right around 200

(and i want one of the white almond raspberry ones)

hep275 Posted 21 Aug 2016 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 13

Its not a paid order - I offered to do it as a gift.  They're choosing flavours from our tasting of 7 options, think they will choose either 3 or 4 but perhaps i could suggest 2 for the afternoon and 2 for the evening....

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 22 Aug 2016 , 5:24am
post #9 of 13

@hep275 - the fewer flavors, the fewer cupcakes that will be eaten by the guests.  I learned this the hard way. 

Will you be decorating the heck out of the cupcakes or just giving a 1M swirl?  If the cupcakes are easy-peasy to decorate, then 1 per guest for both events should be ok and won't take forever and will be relatively inexpensive for you in ingredients and time.  However, if you're going whole hog (lol.....couldn't resist) and making little tiny fondant decos, etc., then you may wish to make 80 fancy ones for the first ceremony, and 100 easy-peasy ones for the evening. 

hep275 Posted 22 Aug 2016 , 9:07am
post #10 of 13

Thanks for all your replies guys.  I will be keeping it VERY simple, so a plain rose with a 1M nozzle - that's how the bride wants it.  Definitely not going 'whole hog' - (very good by the way!).  She mentioned pearl 'balls' to sprinkle on some of the cakes, and perhaps if I can plan it in advance, I might do some plunge cut fondant flowers but that's going to be about it. I had planned on baking in advance and freezing but seem to be having problems with some of the cake cases I use peeling off - as the one recipe I'll be doing uses frozen raspberries I'm a bit concerned about the moisture content making the peeling even worse.  at least I have time to experiment!

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 25 Aug 2016 , 9:12am
post #11 of 13

would open freezing them without the wrappers work? Then you can pop them into those pretty wrappers like lace that are around just now? Just a thought.

hep275 Posted 25 Aug 2016 , 8:28pm
post #12 of 13

i have some of those lace wrappers - aren't they great?  I'm hoping thought that new cake cases will resolve my peeling issues!

hep275 Posted 25 Aug 2016 , 8:28pm
post #13 of 13

i have some of those lace wrappers - aren't they great?  I'm hoping thought that new cake cases will resolve my peeling issues!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%