Icing Glaze Turned Out Lumpy

Decorating By Aliceinde Updated 18 Aug 2016 , 3:53pm by -K8memphis

Aliceinde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliceinde Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 9

I tired to make an icing glaze for this cake but it looks lumpy.  Not sure what I did wrong.  Ingredients was confectioners sugar, milk, butter and vanilla.  I thought it was supposed to look smooth when you poured it on and spread it out.  Any help would be appreciated as I know everything is a learning experience.

Thanks in advance![postimage id="4954" thumb="900"]

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 9

idk -- bad sugar maybe?

what temperature were all the different ingredients going in? hey, did you use real butter or a spread?

-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 9

but I think it actually works well for this application of it being a melted ice cream cone -- so that's good blush.png you picked the perfect cake to put this on 

Aliceinde Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 9

Yeah it does look like melted ice cream I'll give you that!

I used real butter and all the ingredients were room temperature. I did let it sit a bit before I actually used it but I did remix it in my KitchenAid before I put it on.

Aliceinde Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 9

I wonder if because the icing I was putting on it was cold right out of the refrigerator if that could have done it?

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 9

Did you sift the sugar? Mine has to be

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 9

The cold icing could have caused the butter in the glaze to chill enough to slow the spread and cause the ripple effect...

Aliceinde Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 3:40pm
post #8 of 9

No I did not sift if the sugar.  I guess next time I will.

Yes I'm thinking the cold icing on the cake may have caused it to Ripple so I agree.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 3:53pm
post #9 of 9

i prefer glaze made from milk but I often just use hot water so I don't have to sift when it's just little random glaze -- I would have used milk in this too --

i hate to sift powdered sugar -- once a dear friend reminded me about reverse sifting -- where you press a strainer down into the sugar to sift it -- then use that to measure from and carry on -- when you buy the big bags of sugar and use the cake pan like sifters kwim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%