The Problem Pinterest Poses For Bakeries

Business By MimiFix Updated 29 Aug 2016 , 10:48pm by MimiFix

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 14

There's an excellent article in Bake Magazine about the disconnect between what customers request (because they've seen it on Pinterest) and what they are willing to pay.

The problem Pinterest poses for bakers                                                                                                                                                                        

13 replies
millicente Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millicente Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 14

I just would like to say "Thank You" for bringing that to the forefront. I get request all the time for items seen on Pinterest for custom cookies and cupcakes and when I quote a price they say,"For that"........But I will nolonger  undercut myself for an order.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 14

yeah good article

"how Pinterest is affecting consumer wants, and then the disillusionment when they find out how much something costs."

it's a consumer education thing -- they understand that the wedding gowns in the magazines are designer -- it's not a difficult concept but then again yes it is for some reason 

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 14

Twice I have been sent pics from Pinterest and twice when I tell them the price they never call back.   People want custom for Walmart prices.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 14

.....as my parents said a half a century ago. " Some people have  champagne wishes and a Kool-Aid pocketbook."

Thanks for the article @MimiFix ‍ 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 3:19am
post #6 of 14

That was fun, although brief.   It was interesting that these sisters have been in the business for 20 years and STILL got caught up in the non-profitable "cutesy", "oh, look-what-I-can-make" detailed cupcakes.   Sheesh....  and people ask me why I don't sell my stuff.....

I went to their website and looked at their cupcakes and the designs are round tip swirls or 1M swirls with plastic DecoPac decorations.  They charge $2.45 to $2.95 depending on whether or not they are filled.  In my opinion, smart choice.

They have another interesting article with pics on their site:

http://creativecakesbakeryandcafe.com/blog/wedding-cake-trends-1989-2016/

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 11:39am
post #7 of 14

that was a very good article

re cupcake prices:

whole foods charges that much or more for cupcakes depending on the size and no specific decor -- regular grocery stores charge less i haven't checked in a while -- i think home cakers should always be charging more than the local stores

JodiCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodiCake Posted 19 Aug 2016 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 14

Interesting article @MimiFix ‍ I've had the same problem as you all have mentioned. I've been asked to make labor intensive cupcakes for a bridal shower and when I quoted the price she was upset. I'm truly flabbergasted at what consumers expect vs. what they're willing to pay. I don't even bother with cupcakes now as in my small town I can't make any profit.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 19 Aug 2016 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 14

Pinterest. ..have a hate love relationship with that app. I spend hours on it myself if someone sends me a picture from pinterest and wants pennies for the cake my toe nails start to curl hahaha! 

Maybe we should refer those customers to youtube. There they can see and learn how  to do that cake in half an hour themself!!! stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes.png

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 19 Aug 2016 , 6:30pm
post #10 of 14

My friend asked about a cake, sent a picture from Pinterest, and then said her budget is $50.00. After I finished laughing I told her that $50.00 would get her a couple of the flowers, but she needs to slap a 4 in front of that 5 if she wants that cake from me

MimiFix Posted 19 Aug 2016 , 7:53pm
post #11 of 14

@ypierce82 ‍, friends and "friends" often expect a free or deep discount from their most favorite baker. 

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 19 Aug 2016 , 8:39pm
post #12 of 14

MimiFix,  I agree! Friends, family, the neighbor. I just laugh. Not today and not from me

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 29 Aug 2016 , 5:31pm
post #13 of 14

Looks like the referenced article has been deleted from both Bake Magazine and Facebook.  I wonder why?

MimiFix Posted 29 Aug 2016 , 10:48pm
post #14 of 14

How interesting! Thanks for letting us know, @moreCakePlz ‍ . I suppose Pinterest hotshots were rather perturbed and felt the need for censorship.

While I was searching for the article, I came upon a recipe, Baked French Toast Muffins. I'll be making these for Sunday brunch, yum.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%