Any Recipes For Dark Cherry Curd?

Baking By TCupcakes Updated 18 Aug 2016 , 5:05pm by PattyT

TCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TCupcakes Posted 16 Aug 2016 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 3

it is the same as making lemon curd, just replacing it for cherry juice?

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 3

i don't know i've never heard of it but i think you would want to cook the cherries down and food process and strain and get a nice smooth substance of it and go from there possibly? i would say thicken with cornstarch or tapioca flour or something add some almond extract a little sugar perhaps a drop of lemon -- but of course a curd is with eggs -- i'd go with the microwave recipe from king arthur & just sub out the lemon & sub in the cherry:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/easy-microwave-lemon-curd-recipe

just a wild guess -- but for a worthy cause -- it sounds unbearably wonderful

best to you

ps. please give an update on how it goes for you green_heart.png

i've never cooked cherries down like this so this is all pure guessing 

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 3

I've had pretty good success using the Epicurious recipe below as a base for fruit puree curds. 

I had always made "juice" curds...lemon, lime etc., but when I tried this one - which is delicious - I thought it might be a starting point for other fruit.

Not completely sure about the science, but I *think* you have to be sure to have some acid to help.  In the nectarine recipe they use lime.  I've done raspberry puree with lemon juice as the acid.  Just use a compatible acid.  I had nice luck with mango orange puree and lemon juice. 

The recipe multiplies well 2x, 3x etc. so it's a great way to use up yolks! 

My only gripe about the recipe is that it's hard to know how much puree "1 firm-ripe medium nectarine" is.  But, my scribble notes say a bit less than 1/2 Cup.  So that's about what I use for other fruit purees.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/nectarine-lime-curd-tart-with-a-brown-sugar-crust-15128

Here were some lemon, lime and raspberry tartlets from a party.

[postimage id="4958" thumb="900"]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%