Internship?

Business By TheItalianBaker Updated 17 Aug 2016 , 2:08am by theresaf

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 15 Aug 2016 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 11

I've been asked to do an internship for a 15 years old girl in culinary school. 

School doesn't required it till her last year but she doesn't want to wait, also it would be good for me during Halloween, thanksgiving and Xmas. 

She already works with fondant and she is pretty good. 

Min not sure how many hrs or how it works usually.. 

Does anybody have experience in this way? 

Thanks

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Aug 2016 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 11

not too sure about internships per se -- but employment of 15 year olds is tricky with all the restrictions -- so waiting till she's 16 years of age would be easier in terms of not having to learn anything about it smile.png but i think you have to would probably have to abide by all the fed & state employment rules? idk

there's a lot of links and i only like to go to the real ones from the exact state, not people who put up a website kwim -- and i can't tell which one is the real from the state of florida one -- you're in fl right --

but i guess this would come under education -- tough question -- 

can't wait to see what turns up here

-K8memphis Posted 15 Aug 2016 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 11

and how is a 15 year old already in culinary school? she must have graduated early -- and the school should be advising on this too

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 15 Aug 2016 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 11

Many areas have vocational high schools for students... they come out with a high school diploma and a trade...

-K8memphis Posted 15 Aug 2016 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 11

oh cool -- when i think of  'culinary school' i think of the free standing kind -- need to broaden my thinking but still i would call that 'high school' -- generational thing i guess -- you have to do an internship in high school? i guess so

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Aug 2016 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 11

You should check with the school to see what they require. Most of the interns around hare have to have a specific number of hours doing specific things to get the credit for it.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 16 Aug 2016 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 11

K8 , when my daughter was 15 she had to do what is called "a stage" whereby each student has to decide what profession they want to do in the future and then do a week "stage" to see if it was really something they would be interested in, they also had to write reports on it etc and were given credits. My daughter chose law and although she enjoyed it she decided it wasn't for her and is now studying psychology.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2016 , 4:13pm
post #8 of 11

claire -- pronounced 'stahj' yes? that is a very good idea for every teen -- should be able to try out a few y'know -- wow wish my kids could have done that in high school -- my son staged in the culinary field after high school but his moma wouldn't let him do it very long without pay! they like long term stages in that profession --

your daughter had such a great opportunity to try it out -- that's cool

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 16 Aug 2016 , 6:55pm
post #9 of 11

Yes K8 it's pronounced stahj:) It was an excellent learning experience for her which she still refers to even though she didn't follow up on it. That's cute about your son, I understand you not wanting him to do it long term gratis, I've heard of lots of kids being taken advantage that way under the guise of 'teaching'.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2016 , 7:18pm
post #10 of 11

true that

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 2:08am
post #11 of 11

Don't forget to talk to your accountant too - regarding rules for unpaid internships or if you are paying her even anything you will be responsible for other lovely taxes  !  You want to make sure a good deed that helps her and you doesn't come back to haunt you at tax time .

Hope it works out like you'd like it too!

Theresa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%