Evil Cake Genius

Decorating By MELROSE315 Updated 10 Aug 2016 , 10:09pm by MELROSE315

MELROSE315 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MELROSE315 Posted 10 Aug 2016 , 2:59am
post #1 of 7

Hello all. I has wondering if anyone has used the evil cake genius icing combs..they have some that are in the shape to make flower pots, or present box and just smooth sides. 

I would like to try one, pros.. cons?

6 replies
MELROSE315 Posted 10 Aug 2016 , 3:01am
post #2 of 7

[postimage id="4899" thumb="900"]

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Aug 2016 , 11:45am
post #3 of 7

I'd think that the only cons would be getting it flat without pulling the icing or having dips in it, then smoothing it out without flattening out the ridge. All learning curve stuff...You could also do this by icing the cake and then adding another section of icing on the top by masking the bottom part with waxed paper and removing it after you add the top "lid" section on.

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 10 Aug 2016 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 7

I bought the miracle sphere ones (or whatever she calls them).  I like them. There is a learning curve with them, but for sphere cakes, I do not know of an easier tool to get such a smooth surface.  A few swipes, fridge to firm, fix a few holes and then a few more swipes and my spheres come out great!  You just need to be cautious as to how many swipes and/or how firm your swipe is so you don't pull off too much and have to start again.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Aug 2016 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 7

FYI, you can make these yourself with some of those plastic cutting mats that you can cut with scissors. I used a piece of cardboard to make a sphere one, too. You can smooth spheres by using a strip of waxed paper to pull the icing down over the sphere shape once it's shaped and iced.

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 10 Aug 2016 , 2:04pm
post #6 of 7

I didn't think about cutting mats!  Great idea!

MELROSE315 Posted 10 Aug 2016 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 7

I have some! Definitely going to give that a try. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%