How Long Will Nfsc Stay Fresh After Baking And More Questions

Baking By cserr4 Updated 10 Aug 2016 , 9:33pm by MimiFix

cserr4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserr4 Posted 10 Aug 2016 , 2:52am
post #1 of 4

I am making over 400 cookies(200-shaped like bride and 200-groom) for my friend's wedding in October as favors and am going to use the NFSC recipe.  I am putting each one in a cello bag with a ribbon.  I would really like to try to put both the bride and groom together in a bag, but would need a larger bag b/c the cookies are large. Her wedding is on a Friday and I am flying in on Wed or Thursday, which means I have to bake the cookies on Mon and Tues or Tues and Wed. My questions are:

1- Just wondering if anyone can tell me if these will stay fresh for several days? Was going to bake them ahead of time b/c there are so many and freezing them, but not sure how they would taste once defrosted. 

2- What's an easy way to transport so many cookies without them breaking? 

3- Do you use salted or unsalted butter? 

4- Any suggestions on where I can buy bags in bulk? Any suggestions for a different bag other than cello? 

5- Any suggestions on putting both the bride and groom in a bag together without them breaking? My thoughts were to "glue" the bride and groom next to each other on cardboard and put in a bag. 

Thanks in advance! 

3 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 10 Aug 2016 , 11:53am
post #2 of 4

When will you decorate  the cookies - before or after arriving at your destination?

1. Those cookies have a great shelf life, no freezing necessary, so that's the easiest part. 

2. Packing and transporting will take much care or there will be a lot of breakage. Can you take them on the plane with you, or are they "luggage"? Can you mail them ahead? (I often mail NFSC Christmas cookies, with minimal breakage.)

3. Many people insist on unsalted butter, but either one works for this recipe.

4. Cello bags are fine. Look on Amazon, papermart dot com, or do a google search.

5. These cookies would look nice if bagged separately and tied together; or placed side by side on cardboard. They can also be stacked and put in one bag.  

You're a very sweet friend!

cserr4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserr4 Posted 10 Aug 2016 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 4

@MimiFix ‍ Thanks for your replies! 

I am actually not decorating them.  they will be plain b/c they will have an impression on the cookies that look like the bride and groom(made from actual pictures of them)  Do you think i could start baking them a week ahead and they would be fine? 

I am going to take them on the plane with me in two boxes.  Thinking my husband will take one box and i will have another. do you think i should put something in between each cookie so they won't break? 

So you think cutting a piece of cardboard and gluing each cookie down next to each other(so it would be a couple) and then putting them in a bag would work? 

Thanks again!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 10 Aug 2016 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 4

The imprint sounds lovely! You can certainly make them a week or so early, this recipe holds up well. Just be sure to store them in a covered container.

When packing the cookies for travel, I would definitely use waxed paper, clingfilm, or parchment between the layers. 

Placing two cookies side-by-side is a cute idea. Be sure to use a food-safe surface, preferably one that is not plain cardboard. You don't want the cookies to absorb that flavor. I wonder if you could find small paper or plastic plates with a rim, which could help in stacking and the plates won't slide around. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%