Renting Cake Stands

Business By brendassweetdreams Updated 14 Aug 2016 , 11:34am by -K8memphis

brendassweetdreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendassweetdreams Posted 10 Aug 2016 , 1:26am
post #1 of 4

I am being asked more often if I rent cake/cupcake stands along with my cakes/cupcakes. I have sold a bride a 9 dozen cupcakes along with a cutting cake. She inquired on renting my cupcake tower stand.

What is the typical cost for rental and setup? Am I responsible for returning to the venue to pick it up the next day? The location is about an hour away... 

Thank you! :)

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Aug 2016 , 1:59am
post #2 of 4

The deposit + rental is the cost of replacement.  If the stand isn't damaged then you can refund the deposit.  Typically I required the customer to return the stand within 3 days of the event, or I kept the deposit.  Had to replace two over the years, but I had the money to do so (their deposit + rental.)

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 14 Aug 2016 , 5:52am
post #3 of 4

Seems like many charge 1/3 of the item's cost for rental fee. So a $90 stand, that cost $15 to ship is $105 to replace.

Fee to rent is $35 plus a $70 deposit. You don't get it back? You buy a new one to replace it. Normally return is handled by the customer (or their relatives). Chasing down equipment is not fun. Only way that would be "waived" is if you served and were paid a cake cutting fee----so you take it with you when you leave.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Aug 2016 , 11:34am
post #4 of 4

different view alert -- you didn't ask this - just another idea -- i made and sold disposables -- plateaus an separators -- when I turned my back to the cake table to leave after delivery -- all involvement was over -- those picky little details got on my nerves--

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%