I Need New Pans! Help :)

Baking By ElizabethsCakeCreations Updated 2 Aug 2016 , 4:08pm by leah_s

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 16

As some of you may know I'm going to be opening a storefront in the fall. I need new pans. Mine are sad, old springform pans, some bottoms missing. It's not good.

So obviously I need at least 4" tall. Thinking I'd like 2 layers of icing in the middle instead of 1, I've noticed when the cake is cut it looks so much prettier. Also fine with 3 layers of icing.

So question is do I buy 2" pans or 3"? The biggest concern is wastage I don't want to level my cakes too much.

What do you all think? How deep should I get my pans? And how should I tort them for the least waste?

Thanks all!!

15 replies
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 16

Bumpity bump :-)

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 16

Personally, I use (and like) 2" pans.  If the layers bake nice and flat, no need to level.  If I used 3" pans, I would want to torte those. I also like the shorter bake times with the 2" pans.

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 16

So do you use 2 pans for each cake?

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 16

I actually use three pans, if I am doing an 8" cake.  I have my recipes calculated out to make enough to fill three as each cake is three layers.  My tiers come out to about 5.5-6" in height.

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 16

I use 2" pans as well magic line is my preferred brand and yes I bake two cakes and we do very little leveling  hope that helps :)

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 16

First, congrats ElizabethsCakeCreations !  I opened my storefront in October 2015, my lifelong dream !!  Secondly,  I personally prefer using 2" pans.  I use 2 pans for each cake.  On rare occasions I will use 3.  I purchased a lot of my pans on EBay.  You can also buy sets at Michael's using their 50% off coupon.  Good luck !!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 16

You don't need springform pans, as you can get regular type cake pans with removable bottoms that do the same thing, in different sizes.  So you can use this for cheesecakes, mud cakes, regular cakes, brownies, & tarts.

whatever you choose to buy, do not mix & match pans in the exact same size & depth.  I found this out the hard way when I was baking up 3 pans at a time and the 3 cakes were baking completely differently.  The rise was different, the darkness of the crust was different, the baking time was different.  I was even shifting them around in the oven.  finally I got serious and took a good close look at the pans.

I had 2 that were exactly the same, and one pan that was a different brand.  The metal was different, the thickness of the metal was different, the actual inside measurement was different, the height was different.  I trashed the odd one out and spent the money on a matching 3rd pan.  Learned that lesson the hard way.

Magic Line ......by the way.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 10:08pm
post #9 of 16

Magic Line are a cut above and like all things a cut above are pricey. Fat Daddio pans are good too and don't hit the wallet as hard.

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 1:02am
post #10 of 16

Thank you ladies I'll check them out :-)

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 1:25am
post #11 of 16

I thought maybe I was mistaken or the previous cake store I purchased a few pans from was marked incorrectly but I thought magic line pans were fairly compariable in price to Wilton. So I looked on Amazon and they are a few dollars different from each other. We bought a Wilton pan by accident at previous cake store before we knew what we were doing lol and magic line quality is much better in my opinion. I think the magic line pans will hold up much longer as well. 

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 1:39am
post #12 of 16

I'll have to check again! Last time I looked a few years ago the pans started at $25/pan.

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 2:08am
post #13 of 16

Global Sugar Art has the magic line pans for reasonable for all those stateside ladies (I'm in Canada). A round 8" X 2" is $6.29

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 2:11am
post #14 of 16

Cake Pan Set of 5, Round 2 Inches Even (6 to 14 Inches) by Magic Line

Price: $36.99

Seems like a good deal
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 2:44am
post #15 of 16

I think fat dadios are going to be easier to find in Canada

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 4:08pm
post #16 of 16

I love Magic Line pans.  Also 2" pans.  I gave away my 3" deep pans.  I just don't think they bake well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%