Wedding Cupcakes - Multiple Buttercream Colours

Decorating By hep275 Updated 1 Aug 2016 , 6:45pm by -K8memphis

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 9:04am
post #1 of 10

Let me start this question with the caveat that it is probably a stupid question....I have offered to do the cupcakes for a friends's daughter's wedding and am now (perhaps belatedly!!) thinking about what sort of issues there might be...I'm comfortable with the logistics of the number required (150ish) and the timeline for baking and decorating but what has got me pondering is this - she wants 3 different cupcake flavours - vanilla, coffee & walnut and choc - how is the contrast of buttercream colours going to look on display?  The wedding cupcake pics I've seen on line all tend to be the same colour - or at most, 2 colours.  I had thought of doing a yellow buttercream on the vanilla cakes as she is having yellow roses in her bouquet, but am now thinking that a coffee buttercream and a choc one in addition to the yellow one isn't going to look that attractive on display.  I'm wondering whether I should suggest she only goes for 2 cupcake/buttercream flavours at the most.  I dont like the idea of doing the same buttercream on all 3 flavoured cupcakes but is that what I should do? 

Grateful for suggestions.........  Thanks, Helen

9 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 9:41am
post #2 of 10

What did your friend's daughter say re the colours? 

Personally I'd keep it within the colours of her wedding/ bouquet. So maybe white and yellow. You could do a lemon bc on the vanilla cupcakes, white chocolate on the coffee ones and vanilla or coconut on the chocolate cupcakes. 

I would also keep the piping simple/elegant maybe rose swirls or similar on all of them to unify the look.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 11:31am
post #3 of 10

what julia said is all true -- another way to incorporate the chocolate iced ones is to border the other cakes in brown colored icing and some with a brown colored flower -- then if you put up cards describing each flavor be sure to denote some of the brown icing is not chocolate --

I'm not saying this is the best way to go but it's another way to go if choco icing is involved -- and another idea is to just display the chocos after pictures are taken--

you could also border the chocos in white or ice them all smooth then pipe a big loopy contrasting flower on each one so the color underneath shows through

-K8memphis Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 11:33am
post #4 of 10

*contrasting color flower

brown on white white on brown or yellow or whatever

brown eyed susans and daisies would be pretty toppers

hep275 Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 10

great - thanks guys - would i use a coconut essence to get coconut buttercream?  I am still quite new to trying different flavoured ones - everything so far has tended to be either vanilla or chocolate using cocoa.

-K8memphis Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 10

i've never used coconut essence -- i think i have used coconut flavoring but whenever we did coconut buttercream we just squished coconut onto it --

let me know how you like it if you try it

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 10

I use coconut milk for ambc and coconut essence for smbc. In your case it's not advisable to use (roasted) coconut flakes because they show and are only pipable with big tips to avoid blockage.

hep275 Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 6:14pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you both - I am seeing the bride on 20th Aug to discuss her requirements etc but had been thinking that based on what she had said she wanted, the normal way I would decorate them wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing!!

-K8memphis Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 10

julia you are correct as always -- for the record -- the coconut was fresh and the cake just looked all wooley with coconut like a big sheep -- not piped out --

-K8memphis Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 10

which of course that doesn't work for a wedding either

(so why did you write it? she's doing a wedding duh-uh )

(i don't know)

smile.png

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%