Would Like Help Finding Amish Cake Recipe

Baking By MagicMoon Updated 9 Aug 2016 , 6:22pm by -K8memphis

MagicMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MagicMoon Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 16

I have a customer that used to buy Amish lemon angel food cakes from a lady in our local Amish community. She passed away several years ago and my sweet client has asked if I can duplicate these for her because it became her favorite food. I've looked several times searching online but haven't found anything specifically called that. Anyone ever hear of these or have some clues where I could look? Thanks so much  

15 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 16

i do not know and while i hope you find it i will tell you what i do when asked for baking like this -- i say "i'm sorry i don't do legends" and let it go --

i mean someone did a white/yellow cake bake off on here and took my recipe for my white cake and it came out really yellow looking for her and mine comes out white but she used the exact same recipe -- so two of us at any point in time with the same recipe will get different results even if you had her exact ingredients --

so good luck with that -- best to you

Creativeconfectioner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativeconfectioner Posted 30 Jul 2016 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 16

Not lemon...but looks like a master recipe

http://www.amish365.com/easy-homemade-angel-food-cake/

MagicMoon Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 16

I like your answer @-K8memphis ‍ I kind of feel that way when customers send me a pic off the internet and say, "I want this cake exactly." I find it first boring and second, slightly insulting I always want to respond with, "Oh sorry, this isn't the Xerox cake copy company" or maybe, "I'm a cake designer not a cake copy machine". I always wonder how to handle that. So recipe requests are especially hard because your trying to recreate something you can't even see or taste. How do you recreate someone's flavor memory?! It feels like a no way to win situation.  But since this is a dear friend who's just hoping to get close, I think I'll see what I can come up with. Might be fun to alter to other flavors too.  Many thanks to @Creativeconfectioner ‍ for this master recipe! I'll play with it to see what mischief I can come up with.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 12:12am
post #5 of 16

cool -- and it's exactly as you say regarding the expectations for blindly recreating flavors and in recipes --

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 12:49am
post #6 of 16

Something tells me that if you use that master recipe  adding lemon juice & zest to it, then  a lemon glaze over the finished cake it will come close.  Let us know what you end up doing and how it's accepted.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 12:50am
post #7 of 16

Someone called me and wanted me to use her recipe to make her husband's birthday cake.  I told her no.  She was insulted.  I explained that my oven, pans, mixer were different from hers.  Even if I used her recipe, my ingredients would be different and so would the resulting cake.  They would be disappointed and I would get the blame.

No thanks, my kitchen, my recipes!

MagicMoon Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 4:38am
post #8 of 16

That usually is my policy too @LKing12 ‍ With this one, it's just for a friend who wants to see if we can come close to recreating it. If it was a paying customer order I'd have to turn it down for exactly the same reasons.

But I'm curious, how do you guys handle the requests for cakes decorated just like the pictures they get off the internet? I had one grandma raising a grandchild that sent a picture of standing Ninja Turtles she wanted on a little 8" one tier for super cheap. Having been a single mom for 20 years I felt bad and gave in on price. I did it covered in brick with their heads peeking out from manhole covers on top with pizzas, etc. She called the next day angry saying her grandson (4 yrs old) cried because his cake wasn't exactly like the one he picked off the internet. I'd like to say that is an extreme case but, honestly, I don't think it is in my area. It seems nearly every order wants what's already out there. 

I've tried explaining that I like making each cake differently suited to each child. I even tried briefly to make a policy that I don't copy other decorator's work but could certainly capture the spirit of the cake and produce a design they'd love. I lost three orders in a row and just gave up. We live in a super humid area and it's currently running 95 to 100 degrees everyday, I try to explain that I have no idea what materials were used to create those cakes and that some designs are next to impossible with our weather. But it's really no use considering they can see something magically created in 30 second videos all day and believe it's just that simple. 

So how do you handle the requests for duplicating other people's designs?  Any and all answers appreciated!!!

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 5:21am
post #9 of 16

As everyone has said it's almost impossible to exactly duplicate somebody else's cake.  But lemon angel food cake is relatively easy to make you just need to add fresh grated lemon zest to the mix, we make one with a lemon mousse filling.  It is a lemon angel food cake we cut a trough out and fill with fresh lemon mousse, it's delicious and very popular.  You could come up with your own lemon angel food and tell your customer (politely) this is your version take it or leave it.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 6:09am
post #10 of 16

i can duplicate previously made cakes & things pretty exactly -- i've spent years studying photographs and reproducing what i see -- and i can point out in advance what won't replicate exactly but my professional career ended before Pinterest too --

i don't have any problems or compunctions duplicating exactly -- it was a required skill in my world

MagicMoon Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 8:14pm
post #11 of 16

Oh my gosh @810whitechoc ‍ that just sounds heavenly! And you recommend what I finally decided last night. I'll make a version that I like and I'd bet she'll like it because she simply likes angel food and lemon.  Like your yummy cake, it just might become a favorite for other customers too.

You're probably right @-K8memphis ‍ that it's just part of it to duplicate what they send.  And yes, the Internet has definitely changed things! My mom did cakes from our home as a career and she would have clients call and give her the age, name and theme and let her go. If they were really picky they might bring a party napkin. But she usually had complete control of design. Maybe that's why I struggle so much with it.  Plus I'm just a rebel by nature. I find it hard to even make a recipe without changing it somehow! HaHa!

Thanks so much for the input everyone! I wouldn't be able to do half what I do without CC! blush.png

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 9 Aug 2016 , 4:41pm
post #12 of 16

@MagicMoon ‍  I have nothing to ad of relevance to your subject.

But just wanted to say - I like your avatar :-) 

MagicMoon Posted 9 Aug 2016 , 4:47pm
post #13 of 16

Thank you @LelekBolek ‍ That is an original work my husband did for his friend's birthday a couple years ago. It's pastel with gold leaf. He is a prodigy and his art works are incredible!

MagicMoon Posted 9 Aug 2016 , 4:47pm
post #14 of 16

Thank you @LelekBolek ‍ That is an original work my husband did for his friend's birthday a couple years ago. It's pastel with gold leaf. He is a prodigy and his art works are incredible!

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 9 Aug 2016 , 5:00pm
post #15 of 16

@MagicMoon ‍ - my respect to a fellow artist then. Well done.

-K8memphis Posted 9 Aug 2016 , 6:22pm
post #16 of 16

wow magic moon  -- he is an amazing artist -- that is singularly stunning

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%