What's Everyone's Favorite Mediums??

Baking By ElizabethsCakeCreations Updated 30 Jul 2016 , 12:13am by bubs1stbirthday

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 2:49am
post #1 of 14

I used to use:

boxed mix

buttercream with shortening (yuck, no offence)

marshmallow fondant

Now:

Doctored cake mix

whipped cream frosting in various flavours and fruit

chocolate ganache

marshmallow fondant accents

I love this new stuff!

Just curious what everyone else is doing

13 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 3:18am
post #2 of 14

I bake from scratch.

I use fruit curds, ganaches, flavored buttercreams for fillings.

I ice ALL my cakes in buttercream....I don't like the taste/texture of fondant.

Fondant/gumpaste for accents only.

Gumpaste flowers, and sometimes old fashioned piped roses, etc.

Spreadable lace mediums.

I long for the days of old school piping to return!

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 3:21am
post #3 of 14

I love vintage too, I think I'm going to do at least one dummy cake in vintage when I open the shop blush.png

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 3:23am
post #4 of 14

I haven't done curds yet all I can think of is milk curdling, freaks me out!

kayra850 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayra850 Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 8:35am
post #5 of 14

I bake from the scratch.

I am filling cakes with ganache and additionaly with some fruit cream. I am combine two fillings very offten in my cakes. sometimes using whipped cream stabilized.

Ussualy using fondat for cover.

I make all decoration with gum paste.

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 10:02am
post #6 of 14

For me, scratch or doctored-box. I like both buttercream or fondant for decorating, although I do not particularly enjoy the taste of fondant. Just depends on what design I am doing, I guess. Ganache is ok, but for filling, I often use my chocolate buttercream, or fruit/flavored cream-cheese fillings, those seem to be a lot of people's favorite.  

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 11:39am
post #7 of 14

I bake from scratch only.

For filling : work with heavy whipping cream in different combination, with cream cheese, sourcream,  condensed milk and dolce de leche.

For icing use SMBC only and LOVE working with it. Can do American buttercream if customer wants. I do  not cover my cakes in fondant, unless really nessesary  for the design, and use it for decoration only.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 1:18pm
post #8 of 14

I'm with Lelek- scratch or doctored box, depending on the cake requested.

To cover, I've used SMBC but wasn't real excited about it. I prefer ganache or ABC. I use modelling chocolate instead of fondant because of the taste and only use straight fondant for details.

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 14

I gotta try modeling chocolate at some point ;-)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 10:17pm
post #10 of 14

modelling choco is fun -- put marzipan on your list too -- takes color perfectly

i don't think i discount anything -- i try not to anyway -- whatever works best yes!

when i was making cakes i used doctored mixes and scratch and then i went crazy with splashes and fillings and icings oh my --

for icing i started with jiffy mix white icing like 40+ years ago -- i'd make it up and slap in some shortening -- beat the h out of it and away i'd go -- then i switched to american bc made with milk powder  -- then wilton french bc which is ermine/flour icing for another decade or two then went to swiss -- now i'm back in love with american made with butter and cream or buttermilk --

i love the new laces -- they make even just little ole pound cakes burst with beauty

and you didn't ask but i think cupcake decor should always be edible -- fondant + cornstarch is my go to -- although i don't really make decorated cupcakes i'm just opining -- gum paste flowers are for cakes in my not so humble cupcake opinion relaxed.png 

no extra charge

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 14

and i guess my next favorite medium is the long island one stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes.png

Tootie224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootie224 Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 10:36pm
post #12 of 14

HI, All,

Scratch cakes with whatever filling combination works: lemon/orange/lime curd with ABC; chocolate ganache; fruit, whipped cream, custard, depending on what I'm doing.  Either SMBC or ABC (made with merengue powder  and flavors) or ganache.  Fondant if appropriate.    I think it's Pillsbury that has a "simply cake" or something like that box mix which has no additives which is pretty good and I'm not above using it.  I also do a lot of special diet cakes, Gluten, egg, dairy free, which are always challenging.

But, will try anything.  Just love baking!

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 11:27pm
post #13 of 14

Long island medium, I got a good laugh.  It's been a very long time since I  used fondant since the people in my Midwestern town don't like the taste of it. I have been doing a lot of dessert cakes the past year. Have a.y of you tried those fruit flavored fondants I have seen on Pinterest, if so what do you think of it?

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 30 Jul 2016 , 12:13am
post #14 of 14

I bake from scratch. I use SMBC, Ganache,   Cooked flour frosting,   Stabilised whipped cream (Wilton Recipe),   Homemade fondant,   just started using store bought Gum Paste - which I love, Curds (made at home),   fruit cooked down into a syrup and added to either the cake or the SMBC,   Caramel (home made) etc and I love experimenting with different flavours and ingredients which means our freezer is always full of my trial and errors lol  :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%