Broken Bones~ Not Cake Related

Lounge By jgifford Updated 18 Aug 2016 , 11:01pm by jgifford

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 28

I broke my toe. Apparently. Caught my flip flop on the top step and I guess I rammed my foot into the wall. I didn't even realize it for about a week.

When it first started hurting, I thought my nail was growing strangely or something, so I got my husband to check it for me. I no longer bend well enough to get my foot up to where I can really see it.

Never would have believed a little toe could cause this much pain. And it comes and goes. But what's really weird is that the only thing that will stop the pain is walking on it. So much for putting my foot up and staying off it! 

Is this anywhere near normal or is it like everything else in my life? 

27 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 28

i don't know about broken toes, I can relate about thumbs, elbows, legs, green stick fracture of the arm -- all my kids limbs though not mine -- i have mini fractures daily in any random joint but those don't count toward a broken toe --

just wanted to say so sorry that happened! -- big ouch!

and how extra cruel that you have to be active to help it feel better -- that's nearly insulting!

this is a very uncooperative toe -- just feel better fast so you can put your feet up finally

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 28

I have problems with my calcium levels, so have broken quite a few bones.  The most inconvenient one was when I broke my toe by accidentally kicking the bottom of the swimming pool on my first length on the first night of our holiday!  Unlike you, I couldn't walk or weight-bear for a few days and had a fair bit pain for the whole holiday - and couldn't go swimming again!

The most recent broken bone in my family was when my eldest daughter broke a bone in her hand - at half past nine on the first morning of the school summer holidays!  My family don't seem to do well with first days of holidays...

I hope your toe heals quickly without complications.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 28

I break my little toes on a fairly regular basis because I go around barefoot and hit them against things. The doctor told me that there's not a lot that they do for broken toes other than icing them to keep the swelling down. It does hurt like a $&% though.

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 28

stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye.png crusting or non-crusting blush.png

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 28

I prefer the non-crusting on my toes...

I have broken my big toe six times... It eventually gets better... 

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 11:06pm
post #7 of 28

omg -- 'regular basis', '6 times' -- you guys are making my toes ache -- get some steel toed boots --

I'm going to put some dang shoes on...

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 11:46pm
post #8 of 28

know what though I been thinkin' about this and if you had a thick piece of fondant with cornstarch kneaded in and you put it across your toes/foot to let it set into a mold and froze that thing -- that would feel pretty good --

...then if you needed a snackstuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes.png

DormCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DormCat Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 1:54am
post #9 of 28

Don't wait too long to see a dr. Several,years ago I was at a camp out and on way back to tent I tripped over what I thought was a tree root on the trail(it was dark) hurting my big toe but didn't think much about it. (Turned out to be a tree trunk). 8 months later I couldn't walk on my left foot. After several Appts with podiatrist, PT, cortisone shot, it didn't improve so ended up having three surgeries on my left toe. 1st one he thought he could drill holes in cartilage and with hopes of more growing but didn't work and inserted a screw. 2nd was to remove screw as had a reaction to it even though it was titanium. 3rd was to cut the bone out so toe is very short and doesn't lay flat. It's been almost 15 years now and my foot is all messed up hurts all the time but I still am not ready for more surgery.  Lesson learned for me

jgifford Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 4:42am
post #10 of 28

Well, by the time I realized it was broken, it was too late for the ice/heat/ice thing, but a frozen mold doesn't sound half bad.

I did some checking and unless it's the big toe, the doctor won't do much except maybe tape it to the next one. Um, no.

I can tell it's slowly but surely getting better since I was only up walking 3 times last night. All in all, I think I did better with a broken nose. Then I just thought my apartment was haunted because of the pain medication.

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 10:20am
post #11 of 28

Well that sucks. Sorry to hear this. I don't normally break bones, only had a fracture once, but I feel for you.

I injure myself otherwise - bruises, scrapes, over-reaching, cuts (I have small kids, too, so I have step-on-a-lego, and other mom-injuries as well)... and every time I am surprised at how useful the injured part is in daily life, which is hard to notice until it hurts. 

Toes are truly unsung heroes of our bodies :-) 

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 13 Aug 2016 , 1:31am
post #12 of 28

@jgifford ‍ I read this when you first posted and had never broken a bone. well today I was being completely silly chasing after my husband and somehow smacked my foot on the door frame if something isn't broken I'll be surprised. My small toe and second to last toe feels like they spilt in two. Oh my word it hurt its better when I'm walking but I'm afraid it will be bad I'm the morning. How's your toe healing? 

costumeczar Posted 13 Aug 2016 , 2:21am
post #13 of 28

Quote by @Webake2gether on 47 minutes ago

@jgifford ‍ I read this when you first posted and had never broken a bone. well today I was being completely silly chasing after my husband and somehow smacked my foot on the door frame if something isn't broken I'll be surprised. My small toe and second to last toe feels like they spilt in two. Oh my word it hurt its better when I'm walking but I'm afraid it will be bad I'm the morning. How's your toe healing? 

Put some ice on it now, it could prevent it from being as swollen tomorrow!

jgifford Posted 13 Aug 2016 , 5:39am
post #14 of 28

Yes, definitely do the ice thing now while it will help. Mine is getting better cause I've slept all night for like 4 nights in a row now.

Unfortunately, we also have 5 kittens about a week from being given away. One of them launched off my toe yesterday and sliced the top of it open. Now I'm paranoid about it getting infected. So it's warm salt water and neosporin for a few days.

I think I need a keeper.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Aug 2016 , 1:27pm
post #15 of 28

jgifford -- buy a new pair of shoes and throw them away -- wear the box -- ouch so sorry -- feel better soon purple_heart.png

Webake2gether Posted 13 Aug 2016 , 3:39pm
post #16 of 28

Oh man I didn't ice it last night and it's quite tender today and my toes are black and blue :( I will survive but man you don't know what a toe is worth until you hurt it lol  

@jgifford ‍ I vote for wrapping you in bubble wrap for safety!!! Hope it doesn't get infected that would be no good!!

-K8memphis Posted 13 Aug 2016 , 4:23pm
post #17 of 28

black & blue usually points to a broken bone/s -- sorry that happened

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 13 Aug 2016 , 5:14pm
post #18 of 28

Hope your toe will heal quickly!!! I once broke my finger and I had to have surgery on it. I did not realize it was broken until it never healed and I went to the doctor. I am sure a toe would be worse seeing as how it affects you when you are walking!! Ouch!!! Sorry this happened to you and hoping you are feeling better in no time!!

-K8memphis Posted 13 Aug 2016 , 5:56pm
post #19 of 28

my kid broke his thumb in like 4th grade -- they took his ice away at lunchtime -- when I picked him up at 3:00 he had a bulbous purple & black mess on his hand -- yeah whoops substitute teacher/office never called me -- 

then the girl took a direct hit in the shin in soccer practice in high school from her own team mate -- her shin guard was loose -- coach said she got her " first hard hit"-- no first aid -- after this sweet young man guy carried her 5' 10" self all the way over to the parking lot the gate was locked so they had to circle back through the school -- the sweat ran off like they were standing in a shower -- broken leg --

i don't know how we survived school

jgifford Posted 13 Aug 2016 , 7:12pm
post #20 of 28

It's a wonder we survive as long as we do. Between diving boards and horses, I'm lucky to have survived high school. And then I had kids!

My oldest split my lip on a regular basis and her sister broke my nose. My son never caused any damage but he's still young. 

And apparently being a klutz runs in the family. My middle one knocked the high jump bar down and landed on it (cracked ribs) and my son dislocated his thumb playing baseball. 

I like the bubble wrap idea ~ safety and stress relief all in one!

-K8memphis Posted 13 Aug 2016 , 7:37pm
post #21 of 28

516LzQHkixL.jpg

Webake2gether Posted 13 Aug 2016 , 9:56pm
post #22 of 28

So for all of you who have broken toes how do you know for sure? My toes are slightly swollen  (not doubled in size but definitely puffy) and black and blue with a red streak on the insides of each toe apparently where I hit them the hardest. I took a picture but it's my foot so I didn't want to over share or gross anyone out lol. When should I be alarmed if it hasn't started healing? I've never broken anything before frowning.png

LelekBolek Posted 13 Aug 2016 , 10:17pm
post #23 of 28

Body is an incredibly self-healing organizm, have trust in it, and don't panic.  I would suggest an anti-infmammatory pain relief, like advil, but I AM NOT A DOCTOR, see one, if it will make you more comfortable and confident. From what i hear (from my neighbor with a broken toe) not much can be done for these, but taping them lightly to the unbroken toes (use same foot's toes - works better :-)))

Again, i am not a real medical expert.  If it hurts too much, looks much worse, or puffiness and swelling and redness spread more, definitely see a doctor.  Or even if it just gives you too much worry. 

Webake2gether Posted 13 Aug 2016 , 10:28pm
post #24 of 28

I always jokingly say I only go to the doctor if something is broken and hanging on by a thread it's not hanging on by a thread so I probably won't see a doctor. It doesn't hurt too awful bad and I can walk  just fine it only hurts when something touches it. I'd probably only consider going to the doctor if it didn't heal like it should or if it started hurting more than it does. 

LelekBolek Posted 13 Aug 2016 , 11:30pm
post #25 of 28

Yeah. I say stuff like that, too. Only in extreme cases, and only for the thing that hurts... Doctors have a knack for dragging you into a "while you are here" check up, and of course will find a load of problems then. Especially dentists. Come for a filling that fell out, and somehow end up with 5 more future appointments scheduled. :-)

I have highest respect for all in medical profession. I am just a scaredy cat, when it comes to going to doctors for myself. I have indeed gone to the doctors, in some cases, when I could not beat whatever flu or something on my own for a couple of months.

Feel better soon! Don't poke at it a lot. )))

jgifford Posted 13 Aug 2016 , 11:32pm
post #26 of 28

Unfortunately, it's going to take a while. I hurt mine on July 16th and it's just now getting to where I can touch it. Of course, I'm a big baby so there's that.

I was taking aspirin or ibuprofen and even though it didn't seem to be doing anything I'm sure it was helping. Now it only hurts when the kittens jump on it or it starts swelling. Or I kick something with it.

I hate wearing shoes around the house so I shouldn't be surprised. Maybe k8's right and I should wear the boxes instead.

I hope you get to feeling better.

costumeczar Posted 13 Aug 2016 , 11:35pm
post #27 of 28

They don't do much for broken toes, either...You'll end up paying to have them tell you to put ice on it and take advil. Just keep an eye on it and if it starts to look infected or anything go to a doctor right away.

jgifford Posted 18 Aug 2016 , 11:01pm
post #28 of 28

Webake ~ how are you doing?  Back to chasing hubby yet ?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%