Type Of Cake Board To Use Between Layers

Decorating By kelgar Updated 29 Jul 2016 , 7:36am by kelgar

kelgar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelgar Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 5:19am
post #1 of 4

I just watched a video on how to make a spherical cake.  The presenter put a thin cake mat/board between the 2 halves of the sphere.  What would that mat be made of?  If you use a typical cardboard-y mat, won't the cardboard get all mushy from the moisture in the filling/icing?  What type of mat is best to use? Thanks

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 4

i use cake circles purchased from a cake store -- they are food safe corrugated cardboard -- usually white on one side sometimes both sides white -- sometimes waxed --

if I use unwaxed cake circles I will likely hot glue two together and if it is for a large tier I will slide bamboo skewers into the corrugation for extra stability --

sometimes I use foam core board purchased from the hobby store and cut it myself -- 

a dear cake friend of mine cleans off the foam core boards i think it was with a vanilla soaked towel due to the alcohol content -- can't remember exactly -- and waxes them to protect the edibles being placed there --

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 4

Definitely want to use cake circles.  They do not (usually) soak up moisture nor get flimsy.

kelgar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelgar Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 7:36am
post #4 of 4

Thank you.  Good to know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%