Quick Source Of High Ratio Shortening/something Close?

Decorating By cslas Updated 28 Jul 2016 , 4:16am by maybenot

cslas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cslas Posted 27 Jul 2016 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

It's Wednesday night and I just found out I need to make a cake for an outdoor party on Sunday afternoon. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but with this heat.... Anyway, I've been looking at some heat/humidity resistant buttercream recipes and most seem to call for high-ratio shortening, which is new to me.

I've been looking online and it seems that at this point I don't even have time to order a high ratio shortening from Amazon that would arrive in time without spending a fortune on shipping. There is a local cake supply store, but they have really limited hours and I work on the other side of town which would make getting there really difficult if not impossible. So... my question is, is there another local place I can get high-ratio shortening or a close substitute? A store brand that still has trans fat perhaps?

If it helps, I live in Central New York so my choice in big retailers is pretty much: Michaels, JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, Target, Walmart, Wegmans, Price Chopper, and Tops.

Thanks!

3 replies
ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 27 Jul 2016 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 4

Regular shortening can be used, its just that high ratio is better. I'm in Canada so I get mine at Bulk Barn, not sure where you'd get yours.

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 3:31am
post #3 of 4

Okay, I have never done this myself, but a friend who has a small cupcake business ran out of the hiratio shortening and needed it that day.  She went to Walmart and went to the bakery dept. asked for the manager and told her the problem.  The manager weighed out the shortening and then marked the price and sold it to her.

Who knows?  I know this is really unusual, but maybe your Walmart might do that too. 

*Our Walmart frosts the cakes in store, if you Walmart has cakes supplied already frosted then they will not have hi ratio.

You can make the buttercream with all Crisco and it will hold up in heat. 

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 4:16am
post #4 of 4

http://www.nycake.com/products-search?qs=shortening

New York Cake & Baking

Address: 56 W 22nd St, New York, NY 10010

Hours:
Open today · 10AM–6PM

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%