Bake, Fill, Ice, And Freeze Ahead Of Time? Really?

Decorating By veghed Updated 26 Jul 2016 , 6:05pm by -K8memphis

veghed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghed Posted 26 Jul 2016 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 2

I read this in another thread.

I would think fresh fruit in the filling would not work well.  Are there any filling/frosting limitations to this?  What if the cake has been previously frozen?  It doesn't adversely alter the cake's texture or flavor?

1 reply
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Jul 2016 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 2

i bake to order -- i don't just have random fruit filled cakes waiting for a good home -- 

typically i'll make icing and filling/s monday --bake on tuesday fill and freeze same day -- then remove from freezer and final ice thursday  -- then decorate friday --

i have tested all my stuff and it goes in & out the freezer well -- the big deal here is to be sure you have no water hanging around anything -- no under whipped whipped cream -- no home made fillings with water content -- all the water has to be cooked out or held with pectin or cornstarch -- and for fresh fruit it gets sandwiched in whipped cream or buttercream so the cold fat holds all that liquid in --

i never just put random baked layers in the freezer -- they are already paired up with their fillings and splash so all the flavors are melding together -- and actually cake needs to do this to be at it's best -- if you deliver fresh (tier) cake it typically will crumble and not serve well -- i don't mean the mud cakes and stuff but those last a long time anyway -- i mean like white wedding cake, creamed layer cakes not pound cake -- you know what i mean --

i did a beautiful marbled cake choc/yellow once and it was a crumble fest because it was exactly out of the oven and onto the serving plates -- tasty but crumble bumble mess --

so -- do some testing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%