Can A Fresh Cream And Jam Cake Be Covered In Fondant?

Decorating By sweetheart1978 Updated 26 Jul 2016 , 11:38am by -K8memphis

sweetheart1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart1978 Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 7

Hi there everyone!  So I have been recently asked to bake a vanilla cake with fresh cream and jam but they also want it covered in fondant as it's a celebration cake. I covered a small fresh cream and jam cake with fondant once and it didn't work. The sides were bulging so much I thought it was going to explode and looked awful.

Any advice would be appreciated ☺

Are there any good stabilisers for fresh cream? I am a veggie so gelatine free preferably. 

Thanks for reading!

6 replies
Miss.Reynolds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miss.Reynolds Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 7

HI Sweetheart! You could Chocolate Gananche the outside of the cake and this will keep your sides from bulging. I started doing this about 7 months ago and this changed my cake making process incredibly. The Eeyore, Incredibles and Justin Bieber cake in my Profile were all fresh cream fillings with different fresh fruits and I stacked the filling about an inch high in each layer so they could taste a good serving of the delicious filling. The Gananche will act like a "shell" sealing all of your fresh cream and filling in. let that rest for a while so that it can form a nice solid border around your cake and then you can cover it with fondant.  I would truly recommend you trying this. grinning.png HTH!

sweetheart1978 Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 7

Omg thank you so much! I was thinking the same but really needed that second opinion. 

And may I ask do you use anything to stabilise the fresh cream? 

Miss.Reynolds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miss.Reynolds Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 7

Unfortunately I use the Gelatine and the powdered sugar method to stabilize my fresh cream. I will do some research with my baking club and see if they have any suggestions.  

sweetheart1978 Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 7

Aww thank you so much ☺

kayra850 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayra850 Posted 26 Jul 2016 , 7:29am
post #6 of 7

Hello sweetheart, instead of gelatine search for products that contain PECTIN. I can not tell you the name of products because I live in Croatia and you certainly will not find our products. Pectin is vegetable origin and sitable for veggie.  There is also the plant agar-agar which you can find in stores for veggie.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Jul 2016 , 11:38am
post #7 of 7

and whipped cream has to stay refrigerated

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%