Friday Night Cake Club For 7/22/16

Decorating By catlharper Updated 28 Jul 2016 , 10:07pm by -K8memphis

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 23 Jul 2016 , 3:49am
post #1 of 43

Opening up another session of the FNCC! ALL levels of cakers are welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help or provide it if they can! Hope to see lots of photos this week!

Cat

42 replies
catlharper Posted 23 Jul 2016 , 3:49am
post #2 of 43

Nothing for me this week. All is well with me and July is beautiful in Monterey! Hope to see lots of cool creations this week!

Cat

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 23 Jul 2016 , 10:38am
post #3 of 43

Mine is not perfect, but i like it. It is red velvet with creamcheese bc inside. It can be topped with a white sugar rose, or fresh whole strawberries

[postimage id="4710" thumb="900"]

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 23 Jul 2016 , 2:01pm
post #4 of 43

love the heart cake.  Are the roses done with a patchwork cutter?

catlharper Posted 23 Jul 2016 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 43

@LelekBolek ‍ The heart cake is lovely. I really like your ruffles...not a technique I have mastered yet. 

Cat

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 23 Jul 2016 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 43

Hi everyone!

I was so excited for this weekend so I could make this cake! It's a 2 in 1 birthday cake for siblings that celebrate on the same day.

Here's a video of the cake, I'm really proud of how it turned out: https://www.facebook.com/sweetshopandbakery/videos/722605214544260/

The cake also had matching cake pops and cookies:

900_avengers-cake-pops-937512Ajh1A.jpg

900_avengers-sugar-cookies-937512FORkl.jpg

900_princess-themed-sugar-cookies-93751253PwI.jpg

I'm currently working on a Sesame Street cake and cupcakes which I will post tomorrow!

@LelekBolek ‍ Love the heart cake, especially the roses!

LelekBolek Posted 23 Jul 2016 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 43

Thanks! The roses are made with a cutter, but i "inherrited" it without box or instructions, and do not know the brand.  Was trying it out. I think tge edges might have been dulled out, maybe i will try different work surface next time, to get cleaner edge, not so frayed. 

Love the cookies and pops, will have to watch video later though. 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 23 Jul 2016 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 43

@LolekBolek I love the colours and the roses and ruffles are very nice.

@sweetshop5 I saw your cake in the galery earlier on and thought they were two seperate ones. Clever idea!

I made a "Dora the Explorer on the beach" cake for my son's friend's birthday - which was on the beach. Made a strawberry cake filled with fresh sliced strawberries and smbc. The sand is crashed digestive cookies and the water piping gel. Figurines are fondant. 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 23 Jul 2016 , 5:47pm
post #9 of 43

[postimage id="4711" thumb="900"]

LelekBolek Posted 23 Jul 2016 , 6:21pm
post #10 of 43

Great water on the Dora cake! 

SweetTartCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTartCakery Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 2:16am
post #11 of 43

[postimage id="4713" thumb="900"][postimage id="4714" thumb="900"]

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 2:44am
post #12 of 43

@LelekBolek ‍ your cake is very pretty.  If I get less than perfect edges when I cut something out I find it helps to run a damp paint brush along them.  It seems to do the trick for me.

@SweetShop5 ‍your cake pops are perfect!  How do you manage that??  I tried them once and only once.  It wasn't a pretty scene.

@julia1812 ‍that cake is adorable!  The water looks like I should be able to walk right in.

@SweetTartCakery ‍very pretty display.

I only had one cake this week and it fought me every step of the way.  Not thrilled with it but it is what it is.  The request was for a slab cake for a baptism/birthday combined.  I was a little stumped on how to pull the two together.  The only thing I had to go on was they wanted her name in the middle, a white cross and a black and white havanese dog.  

It's hot here and I don't have AC.....my buttercream was like soup, somehow managed to get the fondant on and then the dreaded bubbles!  Everywhere!  I have never had bubbles like that before.  I said a lot of bad words, tried to fix the bubbles and then resigned to the fact that I was starting over and peeled off the fondant.  Attempt #2 is better but still a few bubbles that I think/hope are resolved.  After all the bubble isues, the first piece of bead border fell in to multiple pieces when I went to attach it.  Just one of those cakes....

I had thought first of putting "God Bless" above her name and "Happy Birthday" below it but I think it would be too cluttered.

The havanese and her name are drawn with edible markers.  Most of the flowers were extras from a previous cake.  Not 100% sold that the colors work.  Thoughts?  I have until tomorrow noon to make changes.

kstevens Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 2:46am
post #13 of 43

[postimage id="4715" thumb="900"]

LelekBolek Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 3:10am
post #14 of 43

@kstevens ‍ Lady, if it is as hot where you're at, as we have it now in Virginia, and you don't have AC, than I will include you into my prayers to AC Gods And Spirits Of Mild Weather (i am an atheist otherwise). I like the diagonal split design,  also suggested by a pp, even though there is no clear separating line. The corner flowers draw the focus to the "split' between two. Maybe lowering the cross and raising the... cr@p, i have to look up... well, the dog, to be more of the center of their "triangles", would balance the visual. Actually, the cross s in the right place, but the dog could go up a bit. Just me perhaps. I'm a painter artist as well. 

Thanks for the wet brush tip, btw. I still think the cutting edge is well worn, but worth a try!!! I  like those roses, as painful as they are :-) but not sure uf i want to pay for a new cutter like that one.

kstevens Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 3:34am
post #15 of 43

@LelekBolek ‍I agree with having the dog up higher, initially he was, but I moved him down some to hide a pinhole I had to make to get rid of the F#*! bubbles.  I think now he's stuck even though I only laid him on the cake without "gluing" him down so if I try to move him I'll cause more harm than good.

LelekBolek Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 3:47am
post #16 of 43

Ah drat. Bubbles. At first i was going to suggest adding a couple of "randomly" positioned flowers to hide pinholes. But if the puppy is stuck now... 

It looks great anyway. And - most importantly - fills the customer's vague request. 

kstevens Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 3:59am
post #17 of 43

I forgot to mention earlier, I know I have committed a BIG faux pas by not covering my cake board but I was done after all the issues with the cake.  No energy left to attempt it and was fearful of what else would/could go wrong.  The lady I have made this for wouldn't be expecting that anyways.

LelekBolek Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 4:41am
post #18 of 43

Hey. You got a sparkly shiny board, that costs extramoney anywaysee. 

Butci get th "joke" :-)

LelekBolek Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 12:16pm
post #19 of 43

Here it is with the topper I made

[postimage id="4717" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 1:25pm
post #20 of 43

@LelekBolek ‍that rose is beautiful!  Wow!  It cooled off here a bit overnight and the cake has survived. I have fixed the air bubbles and I was able to move the dog up some.  I think it makes a difference so thanks for the feedback.

[postimage id="4718" thumb="900"]

LelekBolek Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 1:39pm
post #21 of 43

@kstevens ‍ 

Thanks!

And I think it does make a good difference to have the dog up a little. I think it is a very nice-looking cake!!!

Creativeconfectioner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativeconfectioner Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 11:06pm
post #22 of 43

Hey All :)

Beautiful work as always....

Kstevens...love the way you merged the themes on the cake ...super cute

LelekBolek ,,,,,that rose themed cake is so romantic and sweet...Love it :)

Sweet tart cakery you have me craving cupcakes :)

I have another wedding cake for the end of the month....so I have been plodding away :)

Anthurium and Calla cascade on 4 tiers :)

Here is some of the work thus far...[postimage id="4721" thumb="900"][postimage id="4722" thumb="900"][postimage id="4723" thumb="900"]

Naivohw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naivohw Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 1:43am
post #23 of 43

[postimage id="4724" thumb="900"]

[postimage id="4725" thumb="900"]

Pretty tame week but I'm pleased with these little cakes

catlharper Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 2:38am
post #24 of 43

Love the cakes this week. I SO feel for those of you who are dealing with the heat...A/C or no A/C it's pretty miserable dealing with hot weather...especially if there is humidity. We don't have the hot weather here on the coast but we do get the humidity and it just isn't the best of conditions in which to try to create edible art. I have a cake coming up soon and I'm just praying for a good climate day in which to do it! 

Bubbles are also a sucky thing to deal with. There are just times when you can't avoid them no matter how many times you knead the fondant. @kstevens ‍ I'm happy you were able to get your cake to where you wanted it to be!

@LelekBolek ‍ The rose on top is a really nice touch! I didn't think it needed anything but the rose is a beautiful decision!

@SweetShop5 ‍ LOVE the Avengers stuff! SO clean and CUTE!

@julia1812 ‍ Your Dora is so cute...I had the "Swiper, no swiping" in my head all day! LOL!

@SweetTartCakery ‍ What an elegant display! You must have been SO over cupcakes by the time you were done! LOL!

@Creativeconfectioner ‍ Those flowers are gorgeous! I've never thought to use sugar for the middles before!

@Naivohw ‍ I love both cakes but the tree is my favorite! I love how the "carving" turned out. Perfect!

Tomorrow is my Friday and as the week runs down to your Friday I get that much closer to having my mom here. For those who pray please do pray for her. This whole thing has been very stressful. She's almost 75 and knows it's time to retire but, in doing so, she must move in with us, thus losing freedom and a lot of her privacy as well as her "disposable" income. She's moving from the town she's lived in for the past 37 years. The same town where my father passed away and is buried. So hard to move away from those memories. Add the normal stress of moving to that. It's all added up to a "racing heart" condition which is terrifying her, adding to her financial worries and to the stress of everything. I think it will all get better once she is actually moved but, for now, it's going to be a stressful week. So if you pray, please do? I thank you dearly!

Cat

LelekBolek Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 9:59am
post #25 of 43

@catlharper ‍ I am sending you and your family my best wishes. In all of this, the good part is - she has someone: she has family, she will come and live with her caring daughter. There may be snugs hit here and there, and some things are undoubtedly scary or sad, but - she has family. I can't describe how much more sad and scary it feels not to have one, or have the kind you don't want to have. I know that last one from first hand experience, and recently was reminded once again, why I keep very limited contact with my biological relatives. 

@Creativeconfectioner ‍ Wow, those are beautiful. Are you using a cutter, or doing it by hand?  

@Naivohw ‍ I like the stump cake, too. 

Heat here is getting pretty freaky. We are in VA, so yes, we have superhigh humidity as well. Even at 5 AM our windows are fogged up completely from condensation. I am happy to NOT have any big orders for elaborate fondant works... I have watched before my fondant flowers for a wedding melting, because someone "smart" had decided to cut on AC bill for the venue, although repeatedly asked not to. It is a sad sight, I did not care for.

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 26 Jul 2016 , 11:06am
post #26 of 43
LizzieAylett Posted 26 Jul 2016 , 11:16am
post #27 of 43

Hmm, that didn't work.  And it was a long post detailing all my woes making this cake in the heatwave we've been having - 26C in Scotland!  I'll try posting the pictures separately.

LizzieAylett Posted 26 Jul 2016 , 11:17am
post #28 of 43
LizzieAylett Posted 26 Jul 2016 , 11:18am
post #29 of 43

[postimage id="4738" thumb="900"]

LizzieAylett Posted 26 Jul 2016 , 11:20am
post #30 of 43

[postimage id="4739" thumb="900"]

Quote by @%username% on %date%