leck0506 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leck0506 Posted 23 Jul 2016 , 12:27am
post #1 of 9
8 replies
leck0506 Posted 23 Jul 2016 , 12:30am
post #2 of 9

My question won't POST! Trying again!

HELP! First time using fondant. Made MMF and it worked like a dream. Covered the cake, then cut 180 1.25" circles and adhered them with a drop of water.

Unfortunately it looks like the weight of the fondant scales is pulling the fondant layer underneath, causing the scales to "bubble" and bulge out at the bottom while tearing across the top. Is there ANYTHING I can do to help ensure the scales don't tear and fall off between now and then?

leck0506 Posted 23 Jul 2016 , 12:32am
post #3 of 9

[postimage id="4706" thumb="900"]

leck0506 Posted 23 Jul 2016 , 12:33am
post #4 of 9

[postimage id="4707" thumb="900"]

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 23 Jul 2016 , 12:44am
post #5 of 9

I'm thinking you will - unfortunately - have to redo, starting with new fondant. Looks like your circles are too thick to begin with, way too thick - three times what thickness they should be, and there is not much to prevent them from pulling down on the rest.

The fondant base cover itself may also needs to be smoothed a lot more to adhere to the cake. What are you using under it? Buttercream?  Well, regardless, it seems a bit loose and squishy, and therefore rips even easier. 

Good luck and don't give up.  It is a learning experience.

leck0506 Posted 23 Jul 2016 , 12:52am
post #6 of 9

Thank you! I didn't realize the circles were too thick. I had no clue how thick they needed to be... but I kept thinking the whole time how much the sides were going to weigh with all that fondant! LOL. I did two crumb coats of buttercream underneath. Not too thick and very smooth, with the second layer about 10 minutes before I applied the fondant base.

SIGH.

I don't have time (nor materials nor interest) to re-do, so I'll just keep doing what I've been doing: popping the ginormous air bubbles at the bottom and squooshing the sides back up to the top. It is what it is. My first attempt at fondant so I'm actually pretty pleased I was able to accomplish what I did! Definitely learned from this experience!

Thanks again!!

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 23 Jul 2016 , 2:29am
post #7 of 9

I know you don't have time for a redo, but FYI anytime you are going to put cutout finishes like this on your cake you need to let the fondant coat dry overnight before doing so.  And yes the scales are way too thick, good luck anyway.

leck0506 Posted 23 Jul 2016 , 2:32am
post #8 of 9

ACK! That's an AWESOME and FABULOUS tip!!! Thank you for letting me know! I will definitely attempt this fondant stuff again so I really really appreciate the info! There's only so much 12 different YouTube videos on working with fondant can teach a novice like me. ;) Experience is a wonderful tool!

Thanks again!!

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 23 Jul 2016 , 10:58am
post #9 of 9

Yeah, waiting for fondant to dry while experiencing a creative urge is a tough one :-) I find myself upset at my pieces for not being dry fast enough for me to continue to work with them LOL. But you must let some stuff set, or it plain won't work. It makes people go wide-eyed and "Whaaaat?!", when I tell them that it takes 4-5 days to make a beautiful large, life-like fondant rose. It is drying time though, between some steps of making it. 

So, patience is key. I am glad that you enjoyed overall experience. Keep these photos, and compare to what you may be able to achieve later! Always a fun comparison, and sort of a pat on the back for yourself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%