Looking For A Simple Strawberry Shortcake Recipe!

Baking By kate10red Updated 26 Jul 2016 , 10:39am by LelekBolek

kate10red Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate10red Posted 20 Jul 2016 , 1:55am
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone,

I've been asked to make a strawberry shortcake, decorated in buttercream, for a graduation cake that will feed 30 people.  I've never made a strawberry shortcake before, and I'm nervous!  Can anyone share a simple strawberry shortcake recipe?

Thanks in advance!

9 replies
kate10red Posted 20 Jul 2016 , 2:21am
post #2 of 10

P.S. Please ignore the sideways avatar.  I can't fix it no matter what I do :(

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 20 Jul 2016 , 11:00am
post #3 of 10

I used a Betty Crocker Strawberry Shortcake Squares recipe (type that in your browser, it should pop up) several times, and worked it into a half-sheet or sheet cake, with filling on the inside, as opposed to on top, and buttercream or fondant decorations on top.  Everyone was very pleased each time.

It is a good recipe, I think I had doubled it before, for a larger crowd. I also tend to do more filling than per recipe, to make it taste better. For 30 people, I think you would have enough with just 1 recipe + filling and decorations. But if you are in doubt - make more. 

One thing, when working with fresh berries and whipped cream, don't forget it can't last in the fridge as long as other types of filling can. Or at least, it is my preference. It may become too soggy. I did that recipe either on the day, or maximum the day before serving it. So you may want to do a practice cake - for yourself - and see how much time you will need to bake it, and put it all together with estimated decorating time and delivery. 

Good luck.

kate10red Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you SO much for this recipe!!  I really appreciate your help!!!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 10

Another option is to make a nice yellow or sponge cake "normally" with buttercream or better- whipped cream filling and serve sliced strawberries on the side or on top when served. If you slice thin, larger slices, it makes a great "base" for the served "shortcake".

No mess, ooze, or soggy cake.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 10

The texture of that Betty Crocker recipe might be too much like a biscuit. You may want them to clarify what they really wish to have. As @johnson6ofus ‍suggested, a yellow cake recipe would work well. Have fun!

LelekBolek Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 10

Yes, the B-Crocker recipe will be more like biscuit, closer to a traditional shortcake feel and taste. For a sheet cake I did not find it to be a problem. My customers had specifically requested a shortcake, but made into a cake. It worked, and I was able to decorate it with lots of adornments, one was even with an elaborate structure on top made from RKT and fondant. It held up very well. 

I don't think I would use it for stacked tiers, unless just top tier is that recipe, and bottoms are something else. But a flat slab is ok.  Here is one of those cakes. The other one had even more on top, it was an overpass road structure, with streetlights and superheroes fighting on top and around the cake. Can't find the photo. Point is, if you are decorating it, then a traditional shortcake recipe is too crumbly I think, but that one seems to be easily made into a cake. Don't judge too harsh this cake - it was a long ago cake. :-)

[postimage id="4719" thumb="900"]

kate10red Posted 26 Jul 2016 , 3:49am
post #8 of 10

I tested the Betty Crocker cake, and it did have a biscuit-like taste and texture. It was good, and would definitely be great to decorate, but I took the advice that MimiFix gave, and asked them to clarify. Turns out, they're looking for a more typical "birthday cake" like texture, so I have a yellow cake baking right now. 

I'm very nervous that once I fill the cake with strawberries and whipped cream, it's going to soak through in no time!  They want it filled, and decorated with buttercream and a graduation message, so serving the strawberries on top or on the side isn't really an option.

I'm taking your advice, LelekBolek, and I'm making a practice cake before-hand to see how it holds up, but since I have no experience with this, I have to ask: how bad is this going to be? Does anyone have any estimates on how long this cake is going to last before it's a soggy mess??

I appreciate all of the help so far. Thanks so much!

ps. LelekBolek: The picture of your cake makes me wish they DID want a more "classic" strawberry shortcake, because clearly it holds up well!!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 26 Jul 2016 , 10:03am
post #9 of 10

Before adding strawberries and whipped cream, put down a thin layer of buttercream to act as a barrier. It should at least slow down the "soggy mess." 

LelekBolek Posted 26 Jul 2016 , 10:39am
post #10 of 10

@kate10red ‍ yes, like MimiFix said - use some b-c to slow down leaking. Also, choose firmer smaller berries: a sweet layer of b-c can add to sweetness, and cut down on the acidity of berries. Plus small size means you only cut them once or twice, and that minimizes the number of cut juicy edges.

You can also try to stabilize the whipped cream. The easiest way is if you have any piping gel, it will give your whipped cream a little more whipped lifespan. 

The cake will be ok in the fridge for some time. It isn't a make-ahead cake for sure, but it will hold up. Also, about the B-Crocker recipe, i thought its bottom layer soaked and contained the juices well, without falling apart (yellow cake will likely do the same). I was worried with the first one that it will jiggle and crumble during transport,  but it did not. The "buttercream" coat also holds it in, so keep your cake chilled and a/c going. As hot as it is here right now, I would run the a/c in the car before taking the cake for the ride (or tell the customer to cool off the car)

You will do ok, don't be nervous. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%