Fondant Structure Help, Pretty Please!

Sugar Work By jfraelich Updated 20 Jul 2016 , 2:21am by kstevens

jfraelich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jfraelich Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone!

I have an order for a cake topper that I need to ship, and I would love input for what to use for the structure of the piece. I will be making a fondant Chihuahua coming out of a gift box, and I would love your suggestions on what to use for the base/structure for the gift box as well as for the box lid. I don't want to use pure fondant because that'll get pretty heavy and will get expensive when it comes to shipping. 

Attached is the picture I'm using for inspiration :)[postimage id="4670" thumb="900"]

Thanknyou ou in advance for your input!!

10 replies
lamz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lamz Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 11

Rice Krispies are your best friend.

jfraelich Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 11

I've never used Rice Krispies for any of my forms... How hard are they when they set? Will they completely dry, or do they remain malleable? It makes me nervous with shipping if they don't dry hard and firm

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 11

Oh it will be hard and firm all right. Lovely topper, all the best with it.

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 11

You can use storyfoam for the base and top covered in Fondant.

jfraelich Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 11

Styrofoam is what I was originally thinking, but I wasn't sure how to get the fondant to stick (I don't want to use buttercream since I'm shipping it in warm weather). Any suggestions?

Thank you!!

ropalma Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 11

I rub shortening on the styrofoam.  At first it looks like it will not stick but let is sit and as it dries keep smoothing it and it will stick very well.

ropalma Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 8:25pm
post #8 of 11

The orange portion is a double barrel styrofoam.  If you look at my gallery the Own is a styrofoam egg.

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3352827/arabian-nights

jfraelich Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 8:30pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you!! That's a great suggestion! smiley.png

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 20 Jul 2016 , 2:21am
post #11 of 11

I made a Pete the Cat topper that was shipped without issue.  I used RKT for his body which I covered in fondant with tylose powder added.  His head, arms and legs were all fondant with tylose added.  I allowed him to dry for about four days before I shipped him.  

I inquired at the post office as to the best way to ship him (Canada to the US) and was told to package him inside a box with Styrofoam "peanuts" and to then pack that box inside another box for added protection.  I was also advised to ship via air as apparently those packages are handled less.

I hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%