Tips For Baking Cakes With Perfect Edges

Baking By Rosebudcreationsohio Updated 19 Jul 2016 , 9:55pm by yortma

Rosebudcreationsohio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosebudcreationsohio Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 9

I have a naked wedding cake that I am making in the near future . I'm worried about the edges being crumby or uneven after puilling them out of the pan. I use parchment paper for the bottom of the pan just worried about the side. wondering if anyone had any tips. Thanks !

8 replies
ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 9

You can also use wax paper or parchment to cover the sides.  I think this will give you cleaner edges.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 9

i mean come on -- we're only human and so are our cakes -- I don't grease the sides of my cake pans and I run a knife around when I take them out of the oven -- of course they are not picture  perfect -- but that allows the edges to be crumbly enough to roll off the debris and reveal a nice smooth evenly covered underneath :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 9

evenly *colored

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 9

What do your cake layers look like when you take them out of the pan? Are they usually crumby and uneven? If so, then yes I would collar the pan with parchment. 

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 4:45am
post #6 of 9

The cakes below are Jennifer Bratko's A Better White cake recipe, both in Magic line cake pans. Sides greased with shortening and flour, parchment bottom. The one on the right was baked in a water bath (if you don't want browned edges).  I would recommend removing them from the pans about 10 minutes after baking.  If they cool too long, the sides seems to stick to the pan more.  HTH[postimage id="4668" thumb="900"]

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 1:04pm
post #7 of 9

I always use a baking paper collar around my sides.  It sits on top of the turned up edges of my bottom parchment. 

Except for when I bake sponges/chiffon cakes, then I will parchment the bottom only and grease & flour the sides. 

My naked cake orders have always been for chiffon cakes, but if it was a chocolate cake ordered I would use a parchment collar without fail.  I never run a knife around the edge.

Also, I have found that each recipe calls for a 'magic' time to remove from the tin.  Chiffon/Sponges immediately, buttercakes after 5 minutes, fruit & mud cakes I leave in the tin until cold (overnight).

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 9

Yortma, that is quite an amazing difference using the water bath. Well done you! x

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 9:55pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks!  One day I was making a cheesecake in a water bath and just started wondering about regular cake and gave it a try.  I don't know if it is of much practical use, but I was quite surprised at the difference!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%