Sugarveil And Buttercream

Decorating By sweettooth101 Updated 5 Oct 2016 , 8:45pm by sweettooth101

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 16 Jul 2016 , 4:11am
post #1 of 10

I need some advice, I have to make a wedding cake with gold lace  around the top and bottom tiers, I was thinking of using sugarveil, cake is buttercream, has anyone tried this? Will the lace stick to the buttercream?  Do you think if done the day ahead the lace would hold shape?

9 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 16 Jul 2016 , 4:56am
post #2 of 10

Depends on your recipe and bc. My lace stays flexible for weeks! And the only bc it doesn't adhere to is crusted bc. But you could brush the lace with edible glue at the back to make it stick.

sweettooth101 Posted 16 Jul 2016 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you Julia1812, I will give it a try. My buttercream is not a crusting one but I do cool the cakes between eachcoat of frosting to give a smooth finish.. 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 16 Jul 2016 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 10

I also cool mine and the sugar veil did fine in the fridge...did a test run beforehand. I used a homemade recipe.

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 16 Jul 2016 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 10

Hi sweet tooth, Yes, this should work fine - do a test run on a small cake to see how many days you can park it in your fridge ahead of time, but SugarVeil works great on buttercream. You can mix gold dust with Everclear (grain alcohol) and either paint/airbrush it onto the finished decorations, or brush it into the intricate patterns of the Lace Mat before spreading with regular SugarVeil (example of the Brooches Mat below - other mats shown here: http://sugarveil.com/product/sugarveil-lace-mat/ ). If your buttercream crusts, just put a tiny bit of moisture from your fingertip on the back of the SugarVeil decoration - it'll stick to any surface. Thank you!

[postimage id="4627" thumb="900"]

sweettooth101 Posted 16 Jul 2016 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks Emilyg, will do a test run. I usually do all placing of ribbon and sugarflowers on the day of delivery.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 2:36am
post #7 of 10

I use lace on buttercream often.  The best adhesive I've found is a 50:50 mix of water and corn syrup.  I dip a paper towel in the mixture and pat it on the back of the lace to just slightly moisten it then apply.

sweettooth101 Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 2:57am
post #8 of 10

Thanks Jeff_Arnett thats a  great tip the corn syrup probably gives some tackiness. Appreciate your help and all the other cakers.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 3:04am
post #9 of 10

Just 'won' some with a lace mat at a Cake meeting.  Since I don't generally do fondant cakes, this is good information.

sweettooth101 Posted 5 Oct 2016 , 8:44pm
post #10 of 10

Update, the lace was a challenge, sugar veil has the worst instructions on how to use their product and I am not a person who needs too much direction to do something.

So I made the lace a few days in advance, i tinted the sugar veil a yellowish tone so that when I dust it with gold if any part is missed it wouldn't look so white.

The day of delivery when I wanted to wrap the cakes, the lace had gone brittle, bone dry and not flexible. So I left the pieces in the wax paper and placed a damp paper towel on top just for a little while.This helped and I was able to cover the large cake, for the top one I had to make a fresh batch.[postimage id="5245" thumb="900"]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%