Confused Re Portion Sizes

Baking By hep275 Updated 17 Jul 2016 , 11:01pm by Cupcakegirl2005

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 9:59am
post #1 of 21

Hello everyone.  I'm a hobby baker who is now branching out into making the occassional cake for friends....I am confused by portion details though and find the array of charts etc available on the web so confusing.  I've been asked to make a victoria sandwich for a friend - she wants it to serve 10 people.  Now, I know a 9" cake will definitely be fine for that many people but is there an easy to understand guide I can refer to for other requests? 

I think on some of the guides they must work on a slice (ie a vertical section of the cake) then being cut horizontally into half - if that makes sense...because otherwise I simply cannot understand how you get some may 'slices' from a 9 or 10" cake - or does it work on like 2" squares and not slices as I am thinking?  I really hope my question and ramblings make sense - and thank you in advance to anyone kind enough to answer.  Regards,  Helen

20 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 11:16am
post #2 of 21

i know, well i think I know that Australia has a coffee size serving and a wedding size serving but they might have different names -- then i'd figure if it was fruitcake you use a different chart but never done fruitcake so there's that -- and all that is beyond my pay grade being an American --

but what i do know for tier cakes that are typically 4-6" tall you can use the 'wilton wedding cake data chart' just search for that and be sure you are on the wilton site because there are screwy images of it out there 

no wonder you're confused

some people use the chart at earlenescakes.com -- she gives less servings than wilton but Wilton's is the industry standard and I've used it all my life -- works great -- it might sound like a 1x2x4 or 1x2x5 or 1x2x6 inch serving is too small but it is plenty of cake -- i tell my bride's it's about the size of a nice fluffy cupcake plus fillings -- when you get into the doubled tiers that are 8" tall -- those are actually 2 tiers that are just the same size around --

wilton has a 'party' serving size chart -- ignore that or get the prozac ready smile.png

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 11:18am
post #3 of 21

*tier cakes where each tier is 4-6" tall

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 11:23am
post #4 of 21

i'm open for questions -- fire away -- but I can only answer u.s. of a. type questions -- but if you are in a different country ask those too -- we'll get this all straight...maybe blush.png

hep275 Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 11:47am
post #5 of 21

ok at the mo I am thinking a 9" round cake - she wants it to serve 10-12 people which I 'know' will be OK but I was wondering how on earth i figure out the 'official' number of servings.  When hubbie started going on about the volume I sort of glazed over....I think height weight it will be 3-4 ins tall.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 12:09pm
post #6 of 21

a 6" cake 4" tall serves 12 -- lemme see if this possessed tablet will let me post a link

http://www.wilton.com/cms-wedding-cake-data.html

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 12:10pm
post #7 of 21

9" round serves 32

hep275 Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 12:19pm
post #8 of 21

k8memphis - thank you for that but what can I say other than OMG - my family get nowhere near that......maybe that's why we're all a bit porky!!!  Seriously though I guess it does show the difference between a slice of cake you might have at home, and what's normal to have at an event where the cake, although a centre piece, probably follows a formal sit down meal or buffet.

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 12:28pm
post #9 of 21

[postimage id="4619" thumb="900"]

carolinecakes Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 12:35pm
post #10 of 21

The chart above is the work of indebbie, and it's what I use. I give this to my friends when I deliver the cake. There are many serving guides out there, pick one and stick with that. Like K8 said forget about party size / wedding cake size. I use the wedding cake serving size and no one has ever complained. I do cakes as a hobby, but in a business if people want more cake they pay for more.

This cutting guide really open my eyes, and I cut even home cakes this way, there is less waste. HTH

carolinecakes Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 12:37pm
post #11 of 21

The cutting guide is the work of @indydebi ‍ and is used by many here on CC.

hep275 Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 12:37pm
post #12 of 21

that's where we go wrong.....we don't do waste!!

I wonder why the bigger cakes are shown as 'pieces' rather than 'slices' - I think that's why I have a problem visualising how the portion sizes work out becuse I'd always want to serve a slice.  Thank you both for your help.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 12:47pm
post #13 of 21

I mean if you make a 9x13 -- you can make two servings out of that right -- if you have a 12" cake you don't cut it into wagon wheel spokes --smaller cakes sure you can cut into 8-12  wagon spoke wedges 

so if you're doing servings as servings a 9" will cut 32 -- no worries -- it's just quite a different ballgame than home cakes huh

carolinecakes Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 12:49pm
post #14 of 21

The reason I include the party size guide, is to show them that if they want bigger slices, this is how many you will get, so you will need more cake. I do my calculation based on the 1"x2" servings. The visual really helps people understand how you get, what they think is so many slices. 

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 12:51pm
post #15 of 21

I appreciate the credit but I did not design the above charts.  I do cut my cakes in "straight-line-method".  Here is the link to my "how-to" for cake cutting.  Many Cc'ers have told me they print this out and leave it with their cake when they do a drop off and have rec'd good feedback from the families and venues on how easy this is.    http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-to-cut-wedding-cake.html

carolinecakes Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 12:57pm
post #16 of 21

@indydebi ‍ Yes that's right.........the person who did the chart based it off of your cutting method. I can't remember who.........I will check

hep275 Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 1:00pm
post #17 of 21

thanks again everyone. I think printing off a slicing/cutting guide is a brilliant idea  

carolinecakes Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 1:04pm
post #18 of 21

Got it .......thr charts were created by @lexi55033 ‍, gotta give credit where it's due. Here is the link to the square  and there is one for sheet cakes....

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1300479/square-cake-cutting-and-servings-guide

carolinecakes Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 1:16pm
post #19 of 21

@hep275 ‍ I love my friends and family dearly but they can be lame and lose the print out, so in addition to the hard copy, I text them the guide the day of event. Plus I don't always want to be the designated cutter. lol

hep275 Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 2:58pm
post #20 of 21

Brilliant advice and help as always.  Thanks again guys.  

Cupcakegirl2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakegirl2005 Posted 17 Jul 2016 , 11:01pm
post #21 of 21

Indydebi I have been cutting my cakes the way you do since I  saw you postedit, my friends & family always say " wow we have been cutting it wrong, and I say "me too"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%