Ive Been Requested To Do A Tv Show

Decorating By chaosbakes Updated 30 Mar 2017 , 5:42pm by SweetShop5

chaosbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaosbakes Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 1:47am
post #1 of 19

I've never considered doing something like this.  I'd have to make some decent changes to make this work.  What benefits could I see from doing the show? 

What if I loose? Do you guys think it would hurt my business?

Three bakeries meet with client and then they choose.  

18 replies
ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 2:08am
post #2 of 19

Personally I think the only way it could hurt your business is 2 ways.

1) If something they show on tv is poorly done (which I doubt)

2)   That you have to put so much time into the show that your business would suffer

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 3:06am
post #3 of 19

Cake Hunters! That show that gives people a completely unrealistic view of what it's like to buy a custom cake. However, for you to use as advertising it's a great opportunity. You get to really show off your skills without the ridiculous "You have 8 hours to build a 6 tier cake" stuff.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 19

i think the exposure would be great any which way the results go -- please update as you can -- thanks -- hey go for it!

-K8memphis Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 19

say everything goes wrong or something -- use that and say -- this is exactly how I will not do your cake -- idk it sounds like fun if you can handle the stress -- but I don't think I've ever seen that cake show

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 19

That is an exciting proposition.  I've seen Cake Hunters and as expected for dramatic flair either the bride, groom or their parents are un-pleasable. And you should anticipate last minute changes of huge proportions that you cannot say no to! So practice your poker-face (not poke-them face - -save that for when you get home!!)

Best of luck!!

T

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 19

I'd turn that show down! Oh my God, they expect you to do the most unrealistic things for free and for drama. If you have the time to do it and you really want to, go ahead, but I don't need that kind of drama and having them gripe about whatever I made (and they will gripe, they're prompted to complain for the sake of the show.) I doubt that it would hurt your business unless you have to turn down paying business to do the show, but I've also never heard anyone who did one of those shows say that they really benefitted financially from it. It will give you some "bling" in your marketing but that doesn't always translate into more business. 

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 6:41pm
post #8 of 19

Oh how I hate that show!  I was able to watch 3 episodes before I couldn't take any more.   After the first one, I didn't like it - but I thought that maybe the next ones wouldn't have the manufactured drama...  but I was wrong.

The show creates completely unrealistic expectations:

1.  Who books their wedding cake 1 week before the wedding?

2.  Who gets a 2 tiered mock-up of their design included in the tasting?

3.  What baker has no problem adding a "surprise" element a couple of hours before the event?

I realize it's just TV, but when it creates the illusion in customers' minds that last minute changes are acceptable and seemingly "normal" (because it happens in EVERY episode) I have a problem with that.

That being said - I've always wanted to be on TV, so I'd probably do it anyway.  LOL!

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 19

brandisbaked -- you cracked me up-- hahahahaha stuck_out_tongue.png

chaosbakes Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 7:43pm
post #10 of 19

You've all been so much help! Brandisbaked you are right and I'm going out on a limb here. I've requested to move forward to the Skype interview. The bakery requirements were simple, but dallas is saturated with food network stars already so it's really a long shot no matter how good I am. 

Cake guys were on Next top baker, and Brawen Weber had her own show.  That two they will kill to have already.

I'll post what happens next.  It's exciting no matter what and makes me consider where I want to be with my skills and my business. 

Thanks guys!

Ekaba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ekaba Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 8:56pm
post #11 of 19

I agree! This is why I don't bother watching that show anymore. It's hard enough to get clients to understand price-points as it is...

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 9:00pm
post #12 of 19

Ah yes, whenever the client calls for that stupid last minute change call the baker never says, "Okay, but that will be another $500."

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 16 Jul 2016 , 1:25am
post #13 of 19

In my opinion, you should absolutely participate as long as you don't lose money while doing the show.  I am a member of the San Diego Cake Club and have the good fortune to be able to attend many events that have "Cake Stars".  The world of cake decorating is actually a very small "pond" and the strong impression I have received over the past 6 years is that IF you've "been on TV", you can use that to promote your "fame" and teach.   I've no idea if it would result in increased local bakery business, but it certainly could not hurt to have a sign on your website/window that says, "As seen on TV". 

Many (most???) of the famous cake decorating people who are paid to teach in the USA and internationally are famous simply because of the participation in a TV show.  Many (most???) of these teachers no longer have a bakery or sell cakes because they are able to make more money by teaching and selling associated products.    As the years have gone by, the same few 'famous' people are teaching and no one new is able to break into the teaching field because it is so competitive.   It is a rarity to see anyone new that I didn't see at the 2010 International Cake Exploration Societe (ICES). 

Best wishes what ever you decide!

chaosbakes Posted 16 Jul 2016 , 3:45am
post #14 of 19

Apti, I hadn't thought about teaching yet but it is the ultimate Avenue in this industry.

I'm doing the interview on Monday. We will see...

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jul 2016 , 10:16am
post #15 of 19

best to you

and apti's right as usual

amartin1900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amartin1900 Posted 28 Mar 2017 , 12:54am
post #16 of 19

Update:

Filming the show was so much fun! I was nervous until they all got there. What an amazing experience! Like ziplining, you fear that it will be harsh, but once you glide it's just beautiful! The episode will air soon. Can't give specifics yet until it does. It's not scripted but the producer does help guide the story line as thats her job. She may help you rephrase if you are stumbling or aren't as articulate as needed. The intense deadlines are for show. I was given the event date after the interview. Months in advance. 

Does this effect the industry? Sure. Let's not forget customers don't know how cake happens most odd the time. If they were ordering a 10k cake, you probably would give them an elite tasting like this. 

The show aims to make bakers look good. No one is a looser and I like that. There are many bakers in the midrange who simply need a spotlight moment to push themselves. 

Here are a couple of pics. Can't share real details yet. One is my interview on skype, the other is a pic of is on the monitor. So fun!Ive Been Requested To Do A Tv ShowIve Been Requested To Do A Tv Show

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 28 Mar 2017 , 3:09am
post #17 of 19

How exciting that you went for it!!  Congratulations on taking the leap and enjoying yourself while leaping.    Can't wait for you to tell us the time and date of your show.

Since my response above made in mid-2016, two more of my fellow San Diego Cake Club members have been on tv and won a Cake Wars episode, "Ninja Turtles".  Of course, all the fellow Club members were super happy for them.     They have been very careful not to reveal any things about participating that were contained in the non-disclosure contracts signed, but even so, the smiles on their faces let us know how much fun they had going on tv.    It was SO fun to watch the show to see who won!  

Shanelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanelly Posted 30 Mar 2017 , 3:05pm
post #18 of 19

That sounds so exciting!  Congrats on finished filming!  Definitely let us know when it airs I will record it! 

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 30 Mar 2017 , 5:42pm
post #19 of 19

That is so awesome! Thank you for the update, I really enjoyed reading this thread!

Let us know when it airs, I'd love to see the episode!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%