Amazon Prime People -- Only Today -- Kitchen Aid

Lounge By -K8memphis Updated 31 Aug 2016 , 12:59am by CTD1

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
38 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 39

4.5 quart is the smallest that I've seen. If I hadn't just  bought a little 4.5 quart artisan last year I'd like to try the 3.5 as it's the perfect size for family sized cakes & icings.  So the question is - do I have room for 3 KA stand mixers on my kitchen counter??smiley.png

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 39

oh heck yah -- there's always room for another kitchen aid

-- yeah a 3.5 would really be nice

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 1:39am
post #5 of 39

I am so going to get the 3.5! My birthday is coming up and I'm telling family who asks to just give me amazon gift cards. Honeydew color is so pretty! I'm going to redo the island countertop to accomodate it.

MBalaska Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 2:01am
post #6 of 39

Sounds good @Pastrybaglady ‍.  I've considered those half sized bowls for the larger KA mixers also.

So many cool things, so little space.  Look forward to hearing how you like the 3.5 qt.

Pastrybaglady Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 2:15am
post #7 of 39

I got the 3 qt. bowl last year. At first I was going to get the 4.5 because I don't like washing the big bowl of my 6 qt for small batches but then I found the bowl. It's a fantastic idea, but it doesn't work as well as it should. I had to use washers to get the bowl to the right height and the beater isn't shaped quite right to reach close enough to the sides to mix effectively. Whenever I beat egg whites for macarons I have to finish them off by hand.

MBalaska Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 2:40am
post #8 of 39

Then it may be best for me to stick with my 7 qt. lift up & the 4.5 qt. artisan....... However I'm positive that if the 3 qt. would have been available last year, it would have been my choice!   So perfect for making a small cake batter, or macaroon egg whites, or homemade cake lace recipes, a normal batch of royal icing.

Oh what the heck, I'll have to save my money and get one eventually.  I can always put the 4.5 in the basement for a backup.

Pastrybaglady Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 4:53am
post #9 of 39

I don't know if the 3 qt. bowl will work on the 7 qt. Kitchenaid, might want to check on that to know for sure before you order!

Pastrybaglady Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 4:58am
post #10 of 39

[postimage id="4606" thumb="900"]

MBalaska Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 6:42am
post #11 of 39

the computer wouldn't let me edit again.

I meant to say that if the 3.5 qt. artisan KA stand mixer was available to me last year, I would have purchased that one rather than the 4.5 quart KA stand mixer.

The 7 quart KA lift bowl that I purchased is a fantastic mixer.  I'm really happy with it.  In addition to this big one I was looking for the smallest stand mixer that I could get, just to save myself having to stand and hold my little KA hand mixer for small batches of things. 

Having now learned of the problems of the half bowl for the big mixer, you've made me glad that I didn't spend money on that.  thank you for sharing the information.

Pastrybaglady Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 8:36am
post #12 of 39

Hmmm, now I'm going to have to rethink it. The 4.5 qt can be over $100 cheaper! Why is the mini so much more expensive? I guess I'll have to wait till the next Prime Day or a sale and get by with my 3 qt. bowl.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 11:18am
post #13 of 39

i know -- the bigger one  was cheaper than the little one 'cause of the prime day sale -- but it is dang cute -- makes my heart go pitter patter

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 12:42pm
post #14 of 39

I've always had the 4.5qt classic Kitchenaid and recently the 5qt lift went on sale so I bought it. It was a great deal and my current Kitchenaid is about to break any minute so I have this one as a back up haha

The new mini Kitchenaid is extremely cute but pretty expensive.

Pastrybaglady Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 3:59pm
post #15 of 39

Okay, so now that I've looked a little closer I now know why it's more expensive - It's made in America! That does make it worth more and hopefully it will last longer.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 4:09pm
post #16 of 39

the 6 qt i linked to that was on sale yesterday says it's origin is the usa -- and it costs more than the 3.5 qt today by a few dollars -- however if you read the reviews of that 6qt it will accommodate fewer ka accessories so there's that too

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 4:38pm
post #17 of 39

pastrybaglady -- thank you for mentioning your 3 qt bowl -- my model number doesn't have a 3 qt bowl for it -- i mean who knew only certain models could add certain accessories -- i thought it would go by the quart size -- silly me -- but it does use the silicome beater well -- hmmm

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 4:39pm
post #18 of 39

*silicone

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 4:41pm
post #19 of 39

Since we're talking about mixers, are there other brands that are just as good or better than KA? I use mine to make fondant and will probably need to replace it some time in the future.

Pastrybaglady Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 5:40pm
post #20 of 39

@MBalaska ‍ Amazon says they've been selling the mini since 2013?!? What the... how come none of us knew?

@-K8memphis ‍ Yes, all the KAs say their origin is in the US. I read an article some time ago that the parts are made in America, but the assembly was happening in China. When I was researching the 3.5 qt. they made a point of saying that it was "made in America". Of course that could mean the same thing as parts here/assembly there, but I was hoping since they were making that a big point it meant actually completely made in America, but that could be wishful thinking on my part!

@carolinecakes ‍  I've been thinking about the same thing. The ones that are as good cost about the same, so might as well stick with the KA if it works for you. I've been looking for cheaper and smaller but dependable.

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-stand-mixers?id=adw&gclid=Cj0KEQjwzZe8BRDguN3cmOr4_dgBEiQAijjVFtNuKBlGLfVWG_Oof-r-U20aeSEaZ3wstUrDJGC8fpIaApwr8P8HAQ

I'm looking into the Sunbeam Heritage. It comes with a 4.4 qt. bowl as well as a 2.2 qt bowl for $140! It's just not as beautiful as the KA in that lovely honeydew... sigh.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 6:11pm
post #21 of 39

pastrybaglady -- gotcha -- and I mean them stating 'origin USA' is not exactly saying made here either huh -- that's why i quoted their weird wording --

i still want one of those 3 qt bowls...

ooh Sunbeam heritage sounds awesome! paint it blush.png

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 6:22pm
post #22 of 39

oh wait I just looked up the Sunbeam heritage on you tube -- a review by Jeff gedgaud -- and the bowl jumps a little and you have to hold it down at first -- no es bueno for k8t -- the ka locks down like a champ -- so hands free --

gonna try for the ka 3 qt bowl -- the 3.5 mixer is too expensive when in reality I use it so little nowadays -- and I have a handheld for littler things I never use anyway...

waih waih

carolinecakes Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 6:46pm
post #23 of 39

@Pastrybaglady ‍ Thank for the link, very interesting..........now I'm thinking I have all these attachments.......the ice cream maker is the one we use the most.......making fondant needs a strong motor.......may have to stick with KA .

@-K8memphis ‍ You know I forgot I have a hand-held mixer somewhere in the kitchen. lol

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 6:52pm
post #24 of 39

caroline -- now lookie all the money you just saved! could go on a little shopping spree a la lucille ball

carolinecakes Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 7:23pm
post #25 of 39

Speaking of shopping sprees.........you can use that 20 percent off coupon at Bed Bath and Beyond, they carry KA.

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 7:39pm
post #26 of 39

Would anyone know where to buy the bowl scraper for the KitchenAid Mixer Professional 5 Plus? I'm having a hard time finding one online. Seems like they're all for the 4.5qt or the 6qt. It's such a useful attachment that I currently have for my 4.5qt since you barely ever have to scrape the side of the bowl and I'd love to buy one for my new one.

http://www.kitchenaid.ca/en_CA/shop/-[4KV25H0XBU]-2100148/4KV25H0XBU/

Pastrybaglady Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 10:18pm
post #27 of 39

@SweetShop5 ‍  Found this in the comment section:

5.0 out of 5 stars**READ IF YOU HAVE A PRO5 KITCHENAID**

By Dawn S. on January 5, 2009

Color: White

I love my beater blade, so I'm giving this a 5. I agree with all of the great things that everyone says about this stand mixer attachment. HOWEVER--my stand mixer is a Professional 5 Plus, and though it is considered a 5 quart mixer, this blade DOES NOT fit. If you go to the BeaterBlade.com website, or to Amazon's webpage for the 6 quart KitchenAid BeaterBlade, you will find that the Pro5 line requires the BeaterBlade for the 6 quart KitchenAid models. I'm writing this review to prevent others from making the same mistake I did. DO buy the BeaterBlade attachment though--it is a wonder!

carolinecakes Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 10:26pm
post #28 of 39

https://www.amazon.com/BeaterBlade-KA-6L-Design-KitchenAid-6-Quart/dp/B0015TMI28/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1468446156&sr=8-3&keywords=KitchenAid+Mixer+Professional+5+Plus

KA-6L Beater fits following Mixer Models: Proffessional 6 & 600, Deluxe Epicurean: KD2661X, KP26M8X, KT2651X, KP26N9X. Profesional 5 Plus: KV25GOX, KV25G8X, KV25HOX. This mixer is not compatible with KitchenAid mixers KSM657 and all Costco and Sams Club KitchenAid Mixers.

CTD1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CTD1 Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 12:51am
post #29 of 39

I'm a little late to the party, but I wanted to share some info about the KA 3.5 qt.  It was introduced at the Housewares Show just this spring and available for purchase in June.  Don't know where Amazon came up with 2013?  I don;t have the box anymore, so I don't know where it's made, but guess it's just assembled here with parts sourced from overseas.

I was given the opportunity to participate in a focus group and received one for my participation.  It's a nice little machine and very, very quiet - at least in comparison to my 5 qt Artisan and Pro 600.   I took it through its paces with cake batter, icing and whipped cream.  Performed great - no whining or stalling of the motor using 3 pounds of powdered sugar for the icing.   It's the same motor size as the Classic and if I remember correctly, the motor is housed in the stand and not the head.  

It has a small foot print and makes the Artisan seem huge by comparison.  And it's weight is such that it is not cumbersome to move around (at least for this weakling).

I knew before the focus group meeting that a mixer was being offered, so I asked my sister if she wanted it and to choose a color.  She chose Twilight Blue, which is a bright medium blue.  When I set up the mixer to use, it fit so perfectly on my small counter and then when I used it, I was impressed by both its capability, the metal trim on the levers, and so quiet.  I wanted to keep it!   But a deal is a deal and I told my sister in 6 months or whenever, she decides she doesn't use it too much, or it takes up too much space, to give it back.   LOL  I've actually thought about getting one for me because size wise, it's perfectly scaled for my counter and needs these days.

I do have the 3 quart bowl for the Artisan, and just use it as an extra bowl and always wanted to get the combiwhip (3 qt bowl and beater) for the pro 600.  @MBalaska ‍ if you're interested in that size, it might be worth it to call KA to see if the combiwhip will fit your 7 qt.

@carolinecakes the Bosh compact might be a good choice to use for fondant.  It's a workhorse and beloved by bread bakers for it's ability to knead whole grain breads without breaking a sweat.  Looks and feels like a toy, but packs a punch.

@Pastrybaglady ‍ Honey dew is probably the color I would have chosen for myself if I had given it some thought before asking my sister what color SHE wanted.  

CTD1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CTD1 Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 1:09am
post #30 of 39

Since  I can't edit my post, I wanted to add for those of you looking for new mixers or accessories or any other items, check Amazon Warehouse Deals.  I got my Artisan Design series model from there.  It was listed as "Used - Like New, packaging may be damaged."  The box had never been opened, but the corner was crumpled, and I paid $140 for a mixer that with a great sale price would be about $275.  

It's been my experience that Amazon is very conservative in their definitions of used/good used/excellent used/like new etc.  I think in all the transactions I've had with AWD, I've only sent one thing back and like any Amazon return, it was easy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%