Early Wedding Consultation

Business By Jenn123 Updated 7 Jul 2016 , 5:23pm by Pastrybaglady

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 8

A bride contacted me to schedule a tasting. She is only expecting 50-100 people and the wedding is 2 YEARS away! I told her that I don't recommend scheduling tastings more than a year in advance because I only offer one meeting. I don't have time to meet multiple times with people. With baking, travel and meeting time, I usually spend 3-4 hours per person. I've done early ones before and they always change their mind on the choices and want another meeting. I am a small licensed baker with no storefront. I deliver all of my orders (usually 20-40 miles) and travel to their home for consultations. 

She says she is planning her wedding herself on her vacation time. She needs to start early to find a cake that tastes good. Really 2 years? We live in a very small town. Ha Ha

I think it is a waste of time to meet this early... what do you think? Should I tell her politely (again) that I think she should wait? I'm not worried about losing the order, I'm just not sure of the correct way to handle it as a conscientious business woman. 

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 8

there's a quick on the draw reflex aound here that you should tell people "NO" often -- 

in your case here and in most cases I would recommend saying what you can do and of course that's what you're asking --

for example -- "I want you to come for your tasting in mid 2017 or early 2018 -- it will mean more to both of us then -- in the meantime why don't I make you a 6" cake or a dozen cupcakes which I really don't sell as a rule -- and it will be x amount of money -- not decorated -- (then all in one breath I would say) how does that sound to you what size & flavor would you like ?"

i mean of course you have to be able to say no sometimes but I mean some cakers relish the 'no' orders so much and some folks won't even accommodate family because of their hard and fast rigid rules and regulations -- if it's a small town, doesn't being accommodating in some way -- make good sense --

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 8

I'd tell her that you prefer to wait, because that's too far out, but also  because you don't know what YOUR plans are going to be in two years, too. Even if you do a cake or a tasting for her now it's unlikely that she won't want another meeting closer to the time, and then you'll be stuck with handling that. If she does get a tasting now and hires you, you're then going to have to deal with 2 years of emails as she changes details, reschedules things, etc etc etc. I've seen enough of this to know that it's highly unlikely that someone will hire you two years in advance then NOT have a ton of changes. I'd stick with your policy and have her call back in a year. Because honestly, you don't know what will happen between now and then, and if things don't change on her end they might change on yours.

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 8

I don't think it has to be a harsh no but a polite and firm "this is my policy and for both of us it's best we schedule this according to the set policies". I think if she really wants to try your product offering her the smallest thing you offer is a nice middle ground and maybe just explain to her taste of the cake won't change however the details of her wedding most likely will and that for both of you waiting for the set details is ideal until one year prior to wedding. I personally would not want to commit myself to something that far out too many things can happen and change for everyone involved. 

Just a side note I would not want to plan a wedding for 2 years I'd go bonkers lol. I bet she is an excited bride (rightfully so) but I know for certain that I would change everything at least twice if I had two years to plan. I change my mind even when I don't have time to change it  :) 

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 8

Two years is "bonkers lol" (Webake2gether lol! ) for all the reasons stated above. Our policy is one year and we do occasionally have people come along who are further out. The longest request we have had is 3 ys, the bride wanted a completely OTT wedding and it was going to take her 3 years to save for it (seriously ,have a smaller wedding luv). I was super friendly but gave her a firm No come back and see me in a couple of years.

Costumeczar has a good point, you dont know what might be happening in your life in 2 years time - you never know what life is going to throw at you (hopefully only good things).

Also you don't know what life might throw at her, I just had a friend call in upset, her daughter had very happily found the man of her dreams they were settled happy and heading for marriage. He just called off the relationship and has run off with his best mates wife. Yep, that is the gossip of the day around here.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 8

@810whitechoc ‍, I was discussing early planners with a wedding venue coordinator, and she said "Is he going to still love her after two years of wedding planning?" That pretty much sums that up ;)

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 8

Haha yes, especially if they are the brides that come in with colour coded folders and pinterest boards that are so big it takes them 5 minutes to find a particular photo that shows a particular detail that is crucial to their wedding day.

Quote by @costumeczar on 22 hours ago

@810whitechoc ‍, I was discussing early planners with a wedding venue coordinator, and she said "Is he going to still love her after two years of wedding planning?" That pretty much sums that up ;)

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 8

In 2 years won't there be birthdays, anniversaries, family dinners? Seems like plenty of opportunities to order cupcakes of different flavors, unless of course your tastings are free :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%