Help! Looking For Scratch Sf" / Beyond Buttercream's Scratch White Cake Recipe

Baking By nursekris Updated 9 Jul 2016 , 2:14am by Nancylou

nursekris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nursekris Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 5:17am
post #1 of 16

We really want to make this cake, but cannot find the recipe anywhere! I read where she was selling it on etsy, but I can't find it there either. I usually make the WASC cake for all of my white cake recipes, but my daughter is wanting a good totally from scratch white cake to make for her 4H fair this upcoming week. Does anyone know where I can get it? I have no problem paying for it. Thanks! 

15 replies
Nancylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancylou Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 6:19am
post #2 of 16

Hey Again,

Just wanted to check back in with you on this new thread.  The other thread was getting too long and I was afraid it might get lost before you needed the recipe.  So, as I was saying over on the other thread, it looks like she is no longer selling it and she has also closed her bakery - not sure if this is temporary or not, just hope she is OK.  Meanwhile, if we can get permission from Cake Central, I am happy to send you a copy of the recipe with the promise that if Jennifer Bratko starts selling it again that you will purchase it from her. 

Meanwhile, if you get into a bind and need a good recipe, I highly recommend the recipes over at "Cake Paper Party".  My two favorites are her Gluten Free Vanilla Cake and her Vanilla Bean Sour Cream Cake.  You will also learn a lot from each of her recipes.  I hope this all works out on time for the 4H fair.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 9:19am
post #3 of 16
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 16

it won't have all the variations she sold -- but really any good white cake recipe would work -- by good I mean published by a well known name (not food tv however) nick maglieri, sylvia weinstock's, betty crocker etc. i love toba garrett's yellow cake -- 

it's mostly in the method but any of those folks recipe proportions will work with the correct method

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 16

I can find her contact info if you want to see if she'll sell you a one-off copy of it. Send me a message.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 16

http://www.mycakeschool.com/recipes/almond-scratch-recipe/

I found the above recipe which is very close to the recipe you are looking for.  The recipe you are looking for is wonderful and I use it exclusively for white cakes.  II can't vouch for this one, as I haven't tried it, (although I think I will for fun) but it is so close, it may be just what you need.  If you want a white cake, just sub all egg whites, for the 3 whole eggs (about 3/4 cups).  HTH

nursekris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nursekris Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 16

Thank you everyone for your help!

costumeczar Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 11:17pm
post #8 of 16

Jennifer said that she hadn't noticed that her Etsy shop was down, but she fixed it and it's back up. Here's the link: https://www.etsy.com/listing/178952866/beyond-buttercreams-base-cake-recipes-by?ref=shop_home_feat_1

costumeczar Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 11:37pm
post #9 of 16

I forgot to mention that Etsy is having trouble processing credit card payments right now, so use paypal if you want an immediate download until they fix that!

Nancylou Posted 6 Jul 2016 , 3:44am
post #10 of 16

Thanks for getting that straightened out costumeczar.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 7 Jul 2016 , 10:52pm
post #11 of 16

Nancylou, could you post the recipe for Cake Paper Party's vanilla bean sour cream recipe?  Every time I try to get on to their sites it comes up as an error.

Nancylou Posted 8 Jul 2016 , 6:34am
post #12 of 16

I just checked again and the site is still down - seems to be a pattern for this thread - haha -  but I can just type it out for you.

Cake Paper Party

Sour Cream Vanilla Bean Cake

(Her recipe also has a French Sour Cream Buttercream, but I am not going to include that here.)

Ingredients:

7 ounces (199) grams all-purpose flour - 1 1/2 cups

8 ounces (226 grams) cake flour* - 2 cups (note:  she explains on her site why she uses a combo of all purpose and cake flour)

2 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. salt

18 ounces (510) grams) granulated sugar - 2 1/2 cups

5 large eggs (I use extra large)

12 ounces (340 grams ) sour cream

1 Tbsp. (15 ml) vanilla bean paste (I use 2 Tbsp.)

1 cup (8 ounces, or 227 grams) unsalted butter, very soft

10 Tbsp. (150 ml) vegetable oil

Instructions:

1.  Preheat oven to 350 F  (177 C) and spray three 9 inch (20 cm) round cake pans with Baker's Joy or grease and flour.

2.  In a mixer bowl combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar and mix on low for 30 seconds to blend.

3.  In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, sour cream and vanilla bean paste.

4.  Add butter and vegetable oil to flour mix and blend on low for 30 seconds to moisten dry ingredients.  Add half of egg mixture (#3) and beat on medium-high for 1 minute.  Add the remaining egg mixture and beat on medium-high for 30 seconds more.

5.  Pour into prepared pans spreading evenly and bake for about 25-30 minutes until the cake is well done.  Do not under bake or this rich cake will be over-moist and unstable.  The cake should begin to settle back on itself on the edges.  Cool 10-20 minutes in pan and then turn out to a cooling rack.  Cool completely if using immediately, or wrap in two layers of plastic wrap if using later.  Frost the cooled cake with your choice of buttercream. Enjoy!

6. * If you do not have access to cake flour, substitute 198 grams of all-purpose/plain flour and 28 grams of corn or potato starch for the cake flour.

7.  For a lighter textured cake remove 2 Tbsp. each vegetable oil and sugar and increase the baking soda to 1/2 tsp.

Happy Baking,

Nancy

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 8 Jul 2016 , 2:46pm
post #13 of 16

Thank you Nancy, I really appreciate it!  Can't wait to try it now!

Marla505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla505 Posted 9 Jul 2016 , 12:49am
post #14 of 16

Do you know if this recipe is suitable for high altitude as it is?

Marla505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla505 Posted 9 Jul 2016 , 12:58am
post #15 of 16

Do you know if this recipe is suitable for high altitude as it is?

Nancylou Posted 9 Jul 2016 , 2:14am
post #16 of 16

Hey Marla,  I really don't know much about high altitude baking, but perhaps when Summer's site (Cake Paper Party) is back up you can send her an email and ask ... she is great about answering questions.

She is also a contributor for The Cake Blog here:  http://thecakeblog.com/summer-stone - not sure if there is a way to contact her there, but you can try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%