Large Tsum Tsum Cake

Baking By Raynebow88 Updated 2 Jul 2016 , 2:46pm by carolinecakes

Raynebow88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raynebow88 Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 10:00am
post #1 of 9

Hello I will be making a large tsum tsum cake like the picture I posted by sensational cakes. I just would like to know how I would go about making the shape. What kind of pan should I use? What size? How many layers? The part I'm worried about the most is carving the front part (the face). Please help. Thank you![postimage id="4487" thumb="900"]

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 9

it just looks like a big rounded off any kind of oblong cake -- just depends on how many servings you need -- the face is flat there -- just all rounded off smooth then just add the little mug there -- you could use a blob of dried fondant* or fondant around rice krispie treats and use some skewers and skewer it onto the cake board so it doesn't fall off - easy peasy or use candy clay

*skewers inserted before drying 

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 9

I agree, I don't think they carved the muzzle out of cake. It was most likely an attached piece, could even be a cupcake shaved down.

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 9

What the others said and I would add this. When I do a character face like this, I find a black and white picture ( I'm cheap and hate to waste color ink). Google clip art tsum tsum. Enlarge it to the size you need and use it as a guide/template for the facial features. I lay a clear cutting mat over the picture and can  make the features exactly in proper proportions. Getting the eyes right  is crucial to getting the look right. HTH

As far as the body goes, I would bake sheet cakes, layer them to the height  and width you need and carve the slight curve. Carve a little off at a time, its easier to take away than it is to add. If you mess up you can patch with pieces of cake and buttercream. Depending on the size you are making 1 sheet cake can be cut into 3 pieces and layered on top of each other. KWIM Make sure to chill your cakes before carving. I use serrated knives to carve, a small pointy one and a long.

Raynebow88 Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 9

Hello thank you everyone for giving me a lot of helpful tips. I'm gonna give it a shot next month and let you all know how it goes! It's for my baby cousin grin.png have a nice weekend.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 1:43am
post #6 of 9

You know I have a different take on how I'd create such a cake.   I would bake rounds then cut them in 1/2 (or cut about 1/4 off so the bottom isn't totally flat) stacking them on the cut end down (to get the rounded body).  For the head I'd bake a ball cake.

the rest if just fondant nose, feet, etc.

Raynebow88 Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 5:02am
post #7 of 9

Yes the actual head was what I was talking about when I said I was worried about carving the face, that whole general area. I was thinking about making a half ball cake and attaching it to the end because I'm afraid I just won't be able to carve it right. Thank you for your help, this method just might work out for someone like me who's scared to do any kind of carving lol @kakeladi ‍ 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 2:44pm
post #8 of 9

if you do the round cakes cut in half and stacked up next to each other cut side down -- you can use the part you cut off the top to make the face -- no need to bake the half ball kwim -- you just have to build it out a bit to round it very slightly --

although there is much less carving and easier more carbon-copy slicing with the baking rectangle cakes -- and their faces are quite flat not ball shaped -- if you do rectangles let one dome up and use it on the top -- way peasy

can't wait for pictures

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 2:46pm
post #9 of 9

That's a great idea to use the half ball for the head. I was afraid the first time I carved a cake too, my cheetah cake, and I got some great advice that I will pass on to you. Do not be afraid just go ahead and cut..... Cake is forgiving, if you take off too much, buttercream is your friend. You've got some great advice on here, I'm sure you will do fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%