Fish Bowl Cake..please Help

Baking By soldiernurse Updated 29 Jun 2016 , 8:03pm by soldiernurse

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 2:12am
post #1 of 8

Hello Pros!

I need to make a 3 tier cake with a fish bowl in the middle ..10/8/6 it will sit on top of the 8in and the 6 in will sit on top of it..how do I  stop it from sinking in the cake? 

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 7:04am
post #2 of 8

this will be a very very small fish bowl because it will need to sit under the footprint of the 6" cake and within pillars holding it up  --

you can't block off the air to the fish bowl can you? it's got to be open on top not sealed off -- pretty sure

i think you need to put it between the 10 and 8 just use pillars taller than the bowl and set it in there -- but if you place the 6" cake on an 8"board you could still put it between the 8&6 -- 

have you scoured the internet for pictures -- I'm sure there are other ideas out there --

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 7:14am
post #3 of 8

oh to keep it from sinking you just put dowel in the 8" and put a board on top of it for the bowl to rest on

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 8

Here's one I did yrs ago.  Hope it helps you figure out how to proceed.

3 Tiers In Buttercream With Seashells  on Cake Central

soldiernurse Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 8

@ k8memphis--you made some good points that I did not think of! ..the size of the bowl under the 6" cake will have to be a tiny one unless it sits on the 8"...would you suggest a regular cake board that we use under cakes or some other type of board???thanks for all of your advice..things I didn't think of..

@ kakeladi--Nice cake!! I assumed you assembled it there...what did u use under the bowls?

Thanks for giving me your precious time Pros!!

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 8

you're welcome -- yes a cake board hey any board you would sit a cake on -- is it gonna have real fish in it? i saw a great idea googling 'real fish bowl in tier cake' it had champagne glasses filled with water and fishes --

best to you -- would love to see a picture

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 7:45pm
post #7 of 8

...what did u use under the bowls?

If you look closely - especially the lgst tier - you will notice there is a 6" cake board that is iced into/on the top.  It was covered top & bottom w/plastic wrap (or fzr paper) before placement and icing added.

soldiernurse Posted 29 Jun 2016 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 8

..thanks soo much Pros! I will combine your ideas and post a photo when done..not making it until Sept. though and wanted to get the structure down pat ahead of time...yes, it will have different color betas..in separate bowls of course!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%